6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

so I get the basic idea of the matrix, namely, taking Williams system 11 as example you have 8 columns and 8 rows so you can control 64 lamps with 16 transistors. Clever idea - 8 transistors pulsing the voltage to the columns and another 8 pulsing the connection to the ground. So let‘s say the game wants to light lamp 17 (column 1 and row 3) and lamp 3 (column 3 and row 1). So the transistors in columns 1 and 3 close and the transistors in rows 1 and 3 close and lamps 17 and 3 light up.

But what I can‘t quite figure out is lamp 1 (column 1 and row 1) and lamp 19 (row 3 and column 3) will also light up, right ? What if these lamps need to stay off ?

My guess is the transistors at column 1 and row 3 and at column 3 and row 1 are pulsing in sync, but 1 and 1 and 3 and 3 are out of sync, but I still struggle with this because with 8 rows and 8 columns the game has to keep track of which rows and columns need to be in sync and which not, which seems rather complicated.

looking forward to your insight and a lamp going off in my head...

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

My guess is the transistors at column 1 and row 3 and at column 3 and row 1 are pulsing in sync, but 1 and 1 and 3 and 3 are out of sync, but I still struggle with this because with 8 rows and 8 columns the game has to keep track of which rows and columns need to be in sync and which not, which seems rather complicated.

The CPU does keep everything in sync. I think you have a better understanding then you give yourself credit for.

#3 6 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-explain-the-lamp-matrix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.