• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lmp-mx_88.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

So I finally mostly solved this problem but I don't especially understand it. I was having a lamp matrix issue on my JD in that I was getting double or triple lamps coming on in the single lamp test. The suspect lamps were always in column 7, and some in row 8 too. So aha I figured that I must have a blown TP107 in column 7 and TP102 in row 8. Except I didn't. (Scratches head). I finally do what they tell you to do to begin with and read the manual. I'm looking at all the connectors and get to J136. Says no connection. Hmm, then why do I have something connected there ? Pulled what was connected there and problem (mostly) fixed. Now I just have lamp 76 and 78 out though they appear to be working if testing directly with a lamp and diode at the J133 and J137 connector directly. Must have some open connection somewhere. With that preamble, here is the question. If J136 is supposed to be not used the a) why the heck is there something right there that looks like it's supposed to plug in there and b) if that connector doesn't plug in there then where does it go ? Based on the connector colors seems like it is supposed to perhaps go to the start button (yellow grey and red grey). And I still don't understand why that should cause my lamp matrix in column 7 to go haywire. Odd. Hoping someone smarter than me can explain this

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

J136 is a drive for Column 7+8, that is Yel-Vio (J136-2) and Yel-Gry (J136-3).
That means if that connector with Yel-Gry and Red-Gry is put on J136, it will indeed get haywire.

I do not know JudgeDredd well enough to say if there should be a connector in the backbox connecting the Red-Gry and Yel-Gray ( sw.#88) to the startbutton, but you might expect such thing.

#3 7 years ago

J136 is typically used for controlled lamps in the head, pins 2 and 3 of this connector are directly tied to pins 7 and 9 of J137 and 138, since they are the same point, introducing another signal onto these points would cause unexpected lamp matrix behavior.

#4 7 years ago

You may want to look for a two pin female connector somewhere else in the head that this cable is supposed to connect to.

#5 7 years ago

I'm looking but honestly can't find it. I'll redouble my efforts to see if it's buried. Thanks for the help.

#6 7 years ago

That cable in that photo does not look like the right type of cable for that connector at all. It looks like someone pushed it in there when it shouldn't be.

#7 7 years ago

Yeah that's almost certainly what happened. It's odd that despite playing lots I never noticed this issue before. So I also figured out that switch 76 and 78 both had bad lamp sockets. Now fixed. However combine bad lamp sockets with a total screw up on the lamp matrix and boy was this one hard problem to track down. All bulbs now working as they should. And to think I was about to start desildering transistors from the lamp board. That would have been a disaster

#8 7 years ago

Cabinet button lamps (start button, launch ball button) often comes off of J136 too.

It can get confusing because you have that little plug for the yellow wire(s), but the red wire(s) go on a normal size plug on J133/134/135. In your case, the cabinet red wires are actually plugged into J135.

#9 7 years ago

Yesterday I had a look into a JudgeDredd and took a picture.
This is a parallel connection to the startbutton lamp, but no contra inside the backbox to plug in.
I guess it can be used for topper or behind translite to flash simultanious with startbutton.
lmp-mx_88.jpglmp-mx_88.jpg

8 months later
#10 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yesterday I had a look into a JudgeDredd and took a picture.
This is a parallel connection to the startbutton lamp, but no contra inside the backbox to plug in.
I guess it can be used for topper or behind translite to flash simultanious with startbutton.

zaza, I have the same connector in my JD.

I have noticed that it causes some weird behaviour in attract mode. When plugged in, the Super Game and Extra Ball buttons will flash during attract mode. When left unplugged, the Super Game and Start buttons will flash in attract mode. Since B/W Williams games are supposed to flash only the Start button during attract mode, I have to assume that it is best to leave J136 unplugged. I would be interested to see if anyone else notices this behaviour on their machines.

Edit: on further inspection, with J136 plugged in, the Extra Ball button does not flash at a consistent rate like the Start button does. It flashes in sync with the insert lamps on the playfield. Weird!

4 years later
#11 2 years ago

Okay I had the Lamp Matrix going nuts and tracked it down to this mystery connector being connected to J136. I still have not yet read what the purpose of this connector is.

Is it safe to "assume" that this is just an auxiliary connector that came from the factory, and it was connected to nothing?

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Is it safe to "assume" that this is just an auxiliary connector that came from the factory, and it was connected to nothing?

Yes.

LTG : )

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Okay I had the Lamp Matrix going nuts and tracked it down to this mystery connector being connected to J136. I still have not yet read what the purpose of this connector is.

It is my understanding that the connector in question was for lighting expansion in the head of the machine that never happened. It must have been pulled from production.
That connector just hangs in the head with no use.

#14 2 years ago

My Twilight Zone has a factory connector at J136. I have been playing with it disconnected, and noticed it while looking at another issue. I will see if I can trace where it goes.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from KaiVal:

My Twilight Zone has a factory connector at J136. ....................................... I will see if I can trace where it goes.

Lamp #87 buy-in button
Lamp #88 start button

#16 2 years ago

J136 for Twilight Zone and Theater of Magic is for the Extra ball switch light, (buy in). Oops, did not see previous post, thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-explain-the-j136-connector-judge-dredd-lamp-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.