(Topic ID: 336071)

Can someone, anyone, explain the USPS to me? ...

By Master_of_Trolls

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

us (resized).JPG
    #1 11 months ago

I'm hoping that someone who, perhaps, works for the USPS can explain to me how this all works.

I placed a decent sized order (about $1350 USD) with Wizmods that shipped from Portugal (April 5th) and arrived in New York (April 8th).

After processing in NY, it flew to St Louis, Missouri (arriving on April 10th).

I live in Evansville, Indiana, roughly 2.5 hours (almost directly) EAST of St Louis, MO.

The next day (April 11th), the package arrived in Centralia, IL (about 40% of the distance from St Louis to Evansville, IN). So, in 6 days the Wizard mods packaged traveled from Portugal to about 90 minutes from my home. Now, here's where it becomes a real head scratcher for me ...

Rather than continue East, the following day, the package then went NORTH (about 1 hour) to a really tiny town (population of 733) that probably doesn't even have a stoplight, where it sat for 3 days. Then it continued NORTH to Champaign, IL (another hour north), to arrive on April 15th (10 days after leaving Portugal).

The final tracking report is from April 19th that simply states "In Transit to Next Facility."

Today is May 1st (2 days shy of 4 weeks since leaving Portugal) and only God knows where that package is currently sitting. So, it took 6 days to get from Portugal to within 90 minutes of my home, and in the last 20 days it has travelled North (away from me) and is currently ... well, who knows! I have had other orders from Wizmods arrive at my home within a week, or so.

Is there someone who works for the USPS or has worked for them that can explain this to me? I get that logistics will sometimes have a package move from one larger city to another (say, St Louis to Indianapolis) before being routed on to the smaller town of the recipient; but why would it bounce around a bunch of small towns, and seemingly disappear into oblivion?

I don't have hours throughout the work day to sit on the phone with customer service, from the USPS, so I may have to do that this upcoming weekend (if it still hasn't shown up by then).

Hoping someone with some real knowledge can offer a rational explanation, as I am bewildered and still waiting for my package (with no idea where it is currently at).

#2 11 months ago

Sometimes things get mis-sorted and sent to the wrong place, then it only gets re-sorted correctly once it reaches the wrong endpoint.

Not USPS, but probably similar processes:

#3 11 months ago

I have had similar adventures for pretty much every order I've placed with Wizard Mods. The only theory I have is that somehow the small cylindrical packaging that Wizard uses just wreaks havoc with any kind of automated sorting equipment that USPS may have, and thus every shipment is subject to substantial human error as it gets manually sorted.

The last shipment I had from them got routed to another Atlanta suburb, but not the one I live in. The post office at that location flagged the shipment as "Insufficient Address" and the tracking information showed that it had been "Returned to Sender". 2 days later, the package was delivered to me. The Wizard mod dude had already started a replacement order for me instead of waiting for him to receive the "returned" package, so I was able to have him cancel that shipment after I got the one that was allegedly being returned.

#4 11 months ago

They closed some of the terminals where stuff went to, sorted, and then sent on.

So things can get weird. Not always a straight shot anymore.

Kind of like airport layovers where they send you way east and then back west and north.

LTG : )

#5 11 months ago

I appreciate the reassurances. The tube theory is especially intriguing, though all of my previous Wizmod orders made it to me with no problems.

I'm hoping that ForceFlow is correct and that it will eventually make it back to my home address.

If the package is going to travel all over the country, I wish that it would at least send me a post card or two!

#6 11 months ago

Gee it almost sounds as bad as UPS.

John

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Gee it almost sounds as bad as UPS.

I have heard horror stories about UPS, though maybe I have just been lucky as I have generally had really good service with UPS. Had a few packages get completely destroyed through FedEx, but even they have generally been decent.

For mail service, I do believe that the USPS still offers an incredible value by being able to send a letter (up to 0.5 ounce) across the country for less than a dollar. Packages via USPS have been less reliable.

The routing on this package; however, is a real mystery to me (as it it's whereabouts)!

#8 11 months ago

There is no "USPS". There's YOUPS, and there's MEPS. That's it.

(just a goofy joke, ignore this)

#9 11 months ago

I used to moonlight at the airport sorting USPS packages, it was neat for a short while.

Like LTG says there are some terminals that are gone now, and remote locations may be a week or two before the next truck comes.

Hopefully your shipping label remained intact! I have seen them get stuck to other packages or damaged in handling... at the airport we had to scan and sort a box every 4 seconds. Hint: If you cannot throw your package with confidence it is not packed well enough Your package seems truck-bound so I would not worry about that.

I would open an inquiry with the USPS, they have scan records that you cannot see online. You can make an account on USPS and open a "missing mail" inquiry when it has been 7 days or longer. I think you can also email customer service through the tracking page without making an account.

Best of luck! It's probably just stuck somewhere.

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

There is no "USPS". There's YOUPS, and there's MEPS. That's it.

So then, YOUPS and MEPS apparently doesn't equal USPS. Perhaps it equals WEPS!

#11 11 months ago

Thanks @MrVern, I opened an inquiry today. The customer service rep that I spoke with on the phone seemed genuinely baffled.

It is strange that it would be sent to some crazy small town and has been off of the radar now for over 2 weeks.

I imagine those poor Wizpanels sitting in a dark and lonely bin somewhere, being ignored and wondering if they are ever going to find a home. One of them is for TS4, so the story line fits anyway!

#12 11 months ago

My dog was supposed to go to Honolulu and ended up in Fort Lauderdale.... sometimes geography is difficult for people.

#13 11 months ago

Last Janurary I ordered a couple of items from Ebay. (one from New York and one from California) Check this tracking map attached. The package from California got to Houston Tx (I'm in St. Louis) then went back to LA. The package from NY arrived in St. Louis in 4 days but then went back to Pittsburg via Mississipi.

us (resized).JPGus (resized).JPG
    #14 11 months ago

It got mis directed somewhere, and ended up somewhere it shouldn't have been. The place it ended up doesn't automatically sort stuff, a human does it, so it may have ended up in a bin for weirdo pieces or on the wrong delivery truck. Eventually somebody sees it, and throws it in another bin that's getting the heck out of there, which may be off to somewhere else. To the employee ultimately it doesn't matter where it goes, they probably try to send it the right place but as long as it's going it's not theirs anymore.

Then it gets to the next place which it really has no place being, and once it's down there, there is no truck or anything going back to the right place and nobody gives it more than 4 seconds like mentioned above in the first place so it takes another nice long trip sitting in a bin with a bunch of other lost items, after the bin fills up which might take a week, the whole bin gets put on another truck hopefully going to a bigger city.

So it ends up sitting awhile at each place, because it has to wait for that place to get enough lost stuff to make it worth the while for somebody to move that bin out of the way by putting it on another truck.

So my theory would be it goes from big hub, to smaller hub, to little tiny city, then leaves little tiny city to go to slightly bigger hub in the wrong direction, which sends it then back to main hub which is way in the wrong direction, then off to the correct main hub, then back to the correct smaller hub then to your correct tiny city. Evansville isn't tiny but you get my point it's probably not a hub.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 11 months ago

lol.. i ordered from a guy 30 minutes from me in MI. Shit went to TN, then IN then back to MI. Ridiculous!

#16 11 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

My dog was supposed to go to Honolulu and ended up in Fort Lauderdale.... sometimes geography is difficult for people.

Sometimes geography can be difficult for the poor dog. Man, I hope you got your dog back safely! It's one thing to have a package of pinball parts go missing, but to lose a dog, I would be in a panic.

#17 11 months ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Last Janurary I ordered a couple of items from Ebay. (one from New York and one from California) Check this tracking map attached. The package from California got to Houston Tx (I'm in St. Louis) then went back to LA. The package from NY arrived in St. Louis in 4 days but then went back to Pittsburg via Mississipi.
    [quoted image]

Man, this is exactly what I was talking about! How does this stuff even happen?

#18 11 months ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

So my theory would be it goes from big hub, to smaller hub, to little tiny city, then leaves little tiny city to go to slightly bigger hub in the wrong direction, which sends it then back to main hub which is way in the wrong direction, then off to the correct main hub, then back to the correct smaller hub then to your correct tiny city. Evansville isn't tiny but you get my point it's probably not a hub.

I think you nailed it. To Wizmods credit, they offered to reship the entire order (a decent sized order) but I would rather just locate and receive my original package. Wizmods should not be out any money or time because the USPS decided to send my package on an epic journey.

Honestly, your explanation above is probably as close to what actually happened (except arriving to me ... yet) as I can imagine.

Some really interesting stories on here, though. Man, I hope gandamack got his dog back (alive and healthy)!

#19 11 months ago
    Quoted from B-low99:

lol.. i ordered from a guy 30 minutes from me in MI. Shit went to TN, then IN then back to MI. Ridiculous!

Exactly. It blows the mind!

#20 11 months ago

I can explain It all in 3 words that say it all:
    Its government run

#21 11 months ago

As a letter carrier I received letters from Texas to Texas ! But I work in New York? The point is some workers care ! And some don’t give a dam! And cannot read!!

#22 11 months ago

They are purposely de funding USPS because many politicians have stock in private carriers and they want to force people to use them so they can profit. It's not one side or the other, it's all of them. Full corruption.
    They closed the sorting terminal near us, and removed all but one of the blue boxes in my town. Takes 10 days or longer to get a letter from 45 minutes away. I can no longer accept payment through the mail for my business as it can take 3-4 weeks for anything to actually show up.
    Sucks. Just like drinking water, we had a great system but the Richy Rich ruined it.
    B

#23 11 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

And everyone laughed at her..

#24 11 months ago
    Quoted from gmanrulz46:

As a letter carrier I received letters from Texas to Texas ! But I work in New York? The point is some workers care ! And some don’t give a dam! And cannot read!!

Damn!

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Takes 10 days or longer to get a letter from 45 minutes away. I can no longer accept payment through the mail for my business as it can take 3-4 weeks for anything to actually show up.

My wife sent a check to our plumber (their office is 2 minutes from our house) and it took 10 days to get to them. She offered to put a stop payment on it and just drive a new check over to their office, but they don't have an office person to take walk ins during the day (hence, the reason for mailing the check).

#26 11 months ago

UPDATE: Seems that the USPS isn't entirely to blame here.

Wizmods contacted me, this morning, to notify me that Paypal actually sent them my old address (I did place the order with my new address, of course) and this is why the package likely ended up in Illinois, instead of Indiana. Still can't explain why it went to some tiny town (Kinmundy) instead of my old address (Mt Vernon, IL)? That remains a mystery, as does the location of the package.

I also want to point out that one of our awesome Pinside members, who works for the USPS, voluntarily did some sleuth work for me (regarding my lost package). Another reason to love this Pinside community that we have here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-anyone-explain-the-usps-to-me- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.