(Topic ID: 116504)

Can somebody to me explain the appeal of pinball toppers?

By scp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Stones
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ricer.png
    20140315_124350.jpg
    20140506_030827.jpg
    STTNG_Topper1.JPG
    normal_huge_spoiler.jpg
    Creature GW.jpg
    BK Topper.JPG
    20150128_194249.jpg
    topper.jpg
    GhettoCar.jpg
    6.JPG
    CCC (3).JPG
    14.JPG
    SDC10593.JPG
    image.jpg
    WhirlwindTOP large.jpg
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago

I like toppers, and I tend to like them more when they are hand made. Like my IJ topper I made for example.

302685-i.jpg302685-i.jpg

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-custom-idol-stone-topper

#52 9 years ago

Me personally, I like the challenge of creating one and integrating it into the game.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #54 9 years ago

Just extra clutter. No thanks.

#55 9 years ago

Repressed childhood barbie-doll dress-up fetish, expressed.

#56 9 years ago

I agree that toppers suck moose balls. I have 4 toppers. One I even built myself. Loser!
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#57 9 years ago

I have always thought of "topper guys" to be the guys that would add the 24" sprewell rims, neon lights, or other flashy things to their cars.

Just kidding guys. I don't think I'll ever get the topper thing. And I'm proud to say that I've never added a topper to a game and never will. But for those that like it, topper away.. It's your machine, dress it up the way you like. I just want to play the game and could care less how gaudy the decorations look around the machine.

#58 9 years ago

This topper stands on its own!image.jpgimage.jpg

#59 9 years ago

I didn't have any for a long while, but after adding police leds to the red beacon on my HSII, I got one for every pin. My D&D had a great topper.

They look incomplete without them now. Besides, gaudy isn't my style. They should accentuate the pin's aesthetics.

#60 9 years ago

Data east Tommy has to have a topper!! Just fits the game perfectly!!

#61 9 years ago

It's all subjective really. Some people love them, some people don't like them and some people don't care. That's fine but if you don't like them, don't tell me you don't like mine. Just keep it to yourself.

#62 9 years ago

I couldn't imagine owning a wh20 or f-14 tomcat without one.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

I couldn't imagine owning a wh20 or F-14 Tomcat without one.

I don't think the OP is talking about factory Toppers but those that add them to a game themselves. To me, there's a big difference.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I don't think the OP is talking about factory Toppers but those that add them to a game themselves. To me, there's a big difference.

I just thought he was talking about toppers, factory or otherwise.

#65 9 years ago

how come toppers and playfield toys are so expensive?

the crappy and cheap looking topper for CV is almost $200

#66 9 years ago

Toppers that are static I'm fine with, but never again will I subject myself to the torture of moving ones like on F-14 that gave me so much trouble. 3 motors later and it still didn't work properly, the first one having the wiring cut at an impossible to fix place and the second burning itself out from jamming due to the belts being too tight, the replacement not having enough drive to pull it around properly and as a result shorting out and burning out the wiring to the lamps on the top. I assume High Speed/Getaway would be alright as it is 1 motor driving 1 spinning metal piece for the lamp but on my particular F-14 it just never worked right. Shame really as that was one of the super cool things about the game

#67 9 years ago

explanation - individual taste. Like mods - if you own it, do what you want it. I've sold machines with toppers, and the new owner just puts the topper on ebay to make a profit. Their choice.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

Toppers that are static I'm fine with, but never again will I subject myself to the torture of moving ones like on F-14 that gave me so much trouble. 3 motors later and it still didn't work properly, the first one having the wiring cut at an impossible to fix place and the second burning itself out from jamming due to the belts being too tight, the replacement not having enough drive to pull it around properly and as a result shorting out and burning out the wiring to the lamps on the top. I assume High Speed/Getaway would be alright as it is 1 motor driving 1 spinning metal piece for the lamp but on my particular F-14 it just never worked right. Shame really as that was one of the super cool things about the game

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

I got over it, being a sys 11 the game didn't have a hugely long lifespan in my collection. I sold it to friend who has a brother that is good with this sort of thing. He had it fixed the day he got it (somewhat, he said it is still 'not perfect' but it no longer jams) and has been happy ever since.

#70 9 years ago

I'm with the OP and don't like em unless I wanted to distract from an ugly ass backglass. The only one I ever installed was on a DM and it looked good to reduce focus on Sly and Snipes.

WP_000125.jpgWP_000125.jpg
    #71 9 years ago

I like the people who pile tons of crap on top of a game with out securing it in any way and call it a topper. Nothing says "i quit" like having a pile of ebay crap fall on your head every time you try to work on it.

#72 9 years ago

I have toppers on my toppers

#73 9 years ago

Toppers are good for some games...others, not so much. My Congo has the one from Pinball Toppers with the flashers built in so it interacts with game play. That really ties it in and is effective--and kind of fun--when the machine is blinding you.

#74 9 years ago

Can someone explain toppers/mods/LEDS/etc - because someone wants them.

Like them or not, without them, pinball would not be as popular. Same thing goes for every hobby.

Why worry about what others like? Tons of options for you and what you like.

I wish people would appreciate there are options, regardless if they like them or not.

#75 9 years ago

In the end people want you to pay for there mods when they sell the game

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

In the end people want you to pay for there mods when they sell the game

Then don't buy it...it's not the machine for you. When my Congo goes, it goes as a package deal with everything I put into it. I'm pretty sure there will be somebody that will appreciate the mods and be willing to give me SOME of the money back that I put into it.

#77 9 years ago

If I bought your congo I would judge the price of the game with no topper as I would just toss it in the trash.

#78 9 years ago

Originally like vid said they were to make a game stand out among its ranks in a bank of pins. Extended backboxes served the same purpose. Anything to attract a player better then the other games.

Pinbot was the mother of all toppers. That neon edge blinking under the red dome was amazing. Toppers worked.

Aftermarket toppers are a way to personalize your game and improve (in the owner's view anyway) the presentation of the game. They actually improve the entertainment and enjoyment factor for many owners.

I can deal with toppers a lot better than I can deal with LEDs...unless the topper is also lit up and reflects and glares off the playfield glass.

IMO!

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

If I bought your congo I would judge the price of the game with no topper as I would just toss it in the trash.

I wouldn't sell it to you anyway. I have standards.

#80 9 years ago

My only topper. Besides the factory one on my Pinbot.
    I normally wouldnt put one on any machine but this was a christmas present from a friend.

And it looks good.

CAM00248.jpgCAM00248.jpg
    #81 9 years ago

While I don't really care for toppers, I do actually like playfield toys that fit in with the theme and artwork of the game.

You have to figure that if money was no object, they would have put a plastic piano in TZ instead of a drawing of a piano.

Etc.

I do find it kind of weird how expensive a lot of it is.

#82 9 years ago

(Fun when it blinds you? WTF)

Toppers are good for what they were originally intended for. To stop people from putting their drinks on top and risking disaster.

#83 9 years ago

I only have factory toppers on mine, no aftermarket ones. I assume these get screwed, double sided taped or velcro'ed on. Has anyone smashed pf glass by having something up there take a nose dive?

#84 9 years ago

farkle...

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle.

F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

#85 9 years ago

What's not cool about this?

IMG_6026.JPGIMG_6026.JPG

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

The only difference is the quality of the integration. I would wager that you didn't remove your WH2O topper, and that you are not offended by it. I do think the proliferation of aftermarket toppers has led to many that are of questionable value or taste, but to dismiss them categorically strikes me as disingenuous.

#87 9 years ago

One Pinsider friend has a giant Creature topper I like so much Id like to get the matching pin, even though it's not one of my favorites.

BTW, that IJ idol topper by Jean-Luc is also incredible.

#88 9 years ago

Toppers originally designed for the game are great.

The crap people throw on their machines and call a topper gets old. Even worse when they think their addition adds value to the machine.

#89 9 years ago

I like toppers but I don't like the ones with dolls.

#90 9 years ago

Forgot, I do like my Nascar topper but it tastes like piss.

I threw it up there as a joke yet it still sits.

WP_20141217_19_00_45_Pro - Copy.jpgWP_20141217_19_00_45_Pro - Copy.jpg

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

how come toppers and playfield toys are so expensive?
    the crappy and cheap looking topper for CV is almost $200

51snERiJWwL.jpg 27 KB

Ive never paid more than $150 for one ( Spiderman ) the rest were around $100. To me thats not expensive at all, considering its going on a $5000+ game.

#92 9 years ago

I like factory toppers. Some of the aftermarket ones are nice, but I have not bought any of them. Some I see are tacky in my opinion, but if the owner likes it, that's what matters.

If I don't like someone's topper, that's my problem, not theirs.

The only topper on any of my machines is the factory BK2K topper, which I added (it was in the coin box when I got the machine).

Chris

BK2K topper.jpgBK2K topper.jpg BK2K topper2.jpgBK2K topper2.jpg
    #93 9 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I started getting addicted to them not long after I got addicted to the games themselves.....guess it's just personal taste....enhances the look of the machine for me....and no TZ should be without one of these:

image.jpg 124 KB

Isn't that the topper for the TZ slot machine?

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from KillyKillall:

Isn't that the topper for the TZ slot machine?

Yes

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I like factory toppers. Some of the aftermarket ones are nice, but I have not bought any of them. Some I see are tacky in my opinion, but if the owner likes it, that's what matters.
    If I don't like someone's topper, that's my problem, not theirs.
    The only topper on any of my machines is the factory BK2K topper, which I added (it was in the coin box when I got the machine).
    Chris

The Black Knight lets you play with his balls for some coins? Awesome!

Good find! Never seen one of those before.

rd

#96 9 years ago

Well, maybe this isn't true for everyone, but for me, this is why pinball toppers have appeal...

One of the best descriptions I have ever heard as to why people like pinball is the term "tiny worlds" or something to that extent (pretty sure someone says that in Special When Lit). To me, that tiny world should be expanded, built upon, etc. Not everyone who buys a house will do renovations or additions, but many do. The same is true of pinball. If it isn't your thing, that's fine; not every house on the block needs flowers out front

#97 9 years ago

I just get a cat for each pinball machine and use them for the topper. They are going to get up there anyway.

#98 9 years ago

I really enjoy interactive ones like Whirlwind/Twister and the High Speed games. They add another tactile element to the game which raises tensions or lets people around you know you are kicking ass. I also really enjoy Whitewater and Taxis toppers, it helps integrate the theme. I'm yet to see an aftermarket one that doesn't totally gross me out though.

#99 9 years ago

idk how i feel about non stock toppers but i have data east LAH which has the police lights and its really cool. also my brother has williams Fire! that has a bell on top and it rings one time per multiplier at the end of each ball.

#100 9 years ago

Whirlwind

WhirlwindTOP large.jpgWhirlwindTOP large.jpg
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-somebody-to-me-explain-the-appeal-of-pinball-toppers/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.