(Topic ID: 116504)

Can somebody to me explain the appeal of pinball toppers?

By scp

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by stones
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 38 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ricer.png
    20140315_124350.jpg
    20140506_030827.jpg
    STTNG_Topper1.JPG
    normal_huge_spoiler.jpg
    Creature GW.jpg
    BK Topper.JPG
    20150128_194249.jpg
    topper.jpg
    GhettoCar.jpg
    6.JPG
    CCC (3).JPG
    14.JPG
    SDC10593.JPG
    image.jpg
    WhirlwindTOP large.jpg

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

Not to be rude, but I don't get it. Would love to know why you love them/pay top dollar for them!

#2 4 years ago

wish i could tell you

#3 4 years ago

I was never a big fan of toppers since my basement ceiling is low anyway. I always sort of scoffed at them even when I saw them, unnecessary bling. But, then Lasseriffic did a AC/DC train topper and I saw it in person.

Certain games it's just cool - Addams, Whitewater & some of the Lasserific stuff.

Toppers are not for everyone and I don't think every games needs it. I'm still not big on them, but a few are must have bling.

#4 4 years ago

They are (usually) beautiful works of art that further enhance the aesthetics of the pinball machine.

Do you put game room signs in your arcade? Memorabilia from sports teams hanging on the wall? Hell we spend thousands on a single game. People can't understand that. There is this dead space above the game and the right topper just makes a cool game look cooler.

#5 4 years ago

I guess it depends...if the game originally came with a topper and it's missing then you might want to get it so that your game is "complete".

Beyond that, I'm guessing it's the same reason that people put stripes on their car - it looks nice and they like it, even though it doesn't make their car run better. Gosh, I just made a cargument - sorry about that.

Dave

#6 4 years ago

I am with you. Some look nice but unless original I don't really want them.

#7 4 years ago

I love the DW topper and may get the Dalek head motor kit if I could find at a reasonable price. The topper lights up in unison when the Dalek talks as you progress throughout the game. The kit makes the head turn as well, which was the original inent before cost cutting moves.

Other factory toppers are a must IMO. Without it the pin is incomplete and when they interact the really add to the game.

The OP may really be talking about after market. They look nice is the reason

#8 4 years ago

Ditto. If they weren't factory then I dont do them. Especially since a lot of them seem homemade to me.

#9 4 years ago

Not really even a fan of factory toppers but I don't have the guts to remove the flapping fish from FT. It just belongs with the game.

#10 4 years ago

If several have production made toppers like JD, JP, and Getaway(light beacon), then why not match all of your machines to have something on top. If completes the look IMO.

#11 4 years ago

I really like Addams Family topper, even the Taxi topper was fitting for the machine. Other than than i can take' em or leave' em.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Not really even a fan of factory toppers but I don't have the guts to remove the flapping fish from FT. It just belongs with the game.

Mine didn't even last an hour before I unplugged the damn flapper! Looks nice lit up I just don't want that noise every 5 seconds while playing.

Some are ok, but for the most part the aftermarket and homemade toppers are a big NO for me. To each their own.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from scp:

Not to be rude, but I don't get it. Would love to know why you love them/pay top dollar for them!

Originally, they were there to make a game stand out from the others when in a row at an arcade.

Many aftermarket ones have a great way of junking up the place.

normal_huge_spoiler.jpg
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Originally, they were there to make a game stand out from the others when in a row at an arcade.
    Many aftermarket ones have a great way of junking up the place.

And...That is who I feel about most of the "toys" added to the play field.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #16 4 years ago

I like superfluous things (unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.
    synonyms: surplus (to requirements), nonessential, redundant, unneeded, excess, extra, (to) spare, remaining, unused, left over, in excess )
    - JM topperimage.jpg

#17 4 years ago

If I bought a game without a topper I wouldn't consider it worth either the money or effort to go out and get one. In 99.9% of cases I don't believe that they add anything to the game. The remaining 0.1% is, of course, Whirlwind, which absolutely HAS to have the topper.

#18 4 years ago

The only one I really cannot stand is the "Tournament Mode" topper that some of the stern games came with, it looks really bad and outta place lol

#19 4 years ago

i look at it like art. no different than people hanging things on their wall at home. i don't mind stock/OEM toppers but wouldn't go out of my way to spend the $$$ on an "aftermarket" one to enhance any of my pins.

#20 4 years ago

Agreed.

The versions which are the worst use the name of the game which is then shown again a foot below on the back glass. Redundant.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #22 4 years ago

I don't care who you are, this is F ING cool:

image-497.jpg

image-765.jpg
    #23 4 years ago

Very awesome on Pin bot and WW. Those are factory and needed. I don't have them on any other games and with a lower ceiling in one half of the basement it limits pin placement. If it was factory I would want them though.

#24 4 years ago

They keep the cats from jumping up on the head, they jump up on the glass look up at the topper , say f**k it and jump down.

#25 4 years ago

Because people are never satisfied with what they have.

#26 4 years ago

Some look great but money needs to be no object IMO if buying this type of mod. It is only for looks and only practical if the pin is on location.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Original ones (Taf, ft, taxi, whitewater) are part of the game.
    Aftermarket ones are superfluous. I can't see the point at all.
    Why have something that says the name of the machine a few inches above the name of the machine? Makes no logical sense.
    I've only seen one I liked. It was at BangerJays house.
    rd.

image-607.jpg 161 KB

Looks like something certain pin manufacturers say (in their own special way) to game collector customers....

#28 4 years ago

I will when I figure out the appeal to grown men of batting around a ball bearing in a wooden box.

#29 4 years ago

They aren't for me, but I'm pretty much for anything that helps people enjoy their pins more, even more so if it's reversible.

No harm, no foul..

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

Because people are never satisfied with what they have.

And we started buying pinball machines and then some of us started buying unnessarry pinball toppers to go with them.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from scp:

Would love to know why you love them/pay top dollar for them!

Buy for top dollar, sell later for topper dollar? Other than that, I got nothin'.

#32 4 years ago

I only have 2 toppers, one is for my BOP made by Laseriffic and one is for MET that I made. The MET topper is a working audio graphic EG that is sound activated. When the game get's crankin the graph be jumpin. Cost me $20 to make and is one of a kind.

MetEQ2.jpg MetEQ3.jpg
    #33 4 years ago

I like the sword topper for Totan and that Roadshow one.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I only have 2 toppers, one is for my BOP made by Laseriffic and one is for MET that I made. The MET topper is a working audio graphic EG that is sound activated. When the game get's crankin the graph be jumpin. Cost me $20 to make and is one of a kind.

MetEQ2.jpg 191 KB

MetEQ3.jpg 198 KB

Now I think this is a cool idea! A sort of inter active topper that goes along with game play. Niiiiiiicccce!!!

#35 4 years ago

I really don't care what anyone says. I love my toppers and I think they add to the overall effect of my games. They all light up and I enjoy having them. 20150125_211209.jpg

#36 4 years ago

Every game I own has a topper. They also have tons of mods. I don't want my games to look like everyone else's.

Just my opinion, everyone has one.

image.jpg
    #37 4 years ago

image.jpg
    #38 4 years ago

Some look good, some look bad

I don't like the ones that rely on color changing LEDs to make them look good

#39 4 years ago

i don't hve one topper. And it's not that I don't think some are nice... But, hey, where the heck would I put my keys!

#40 4 years ago

There fun to make, fun to find, fun to buy, if you didn't have one to begin with they can make the pin seem new again. Did I say they were fun

#41 4 years ago

I just wish my basement had tall enough ceilings to have toppers because I love 'em.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

MetEQ2.jpg 191 KB

MetEQ3.jpg 198 KB

That's a great idea for the MET.

#43 4 years ago

My topper has its own topper!

#44 4 years ago

I started getting addicted to them not long after I got addicted to the games themselves.....guess it's just personal taste....enhances the look of the machine for me....and no TZ should be without one of these:

image.jpg

#45 4 years ago

Whirlwind. 'Nuff said.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

Now I think this is a cool idea! A sort of inter active topper that goes along with game play. Niiiiiiicccce!!!

I got it on ebay, they have different styles, designs, colors and sizes. Look for "car led equilizers". Get a piece of thick plex the size ya need and stick it on the back side and hang it above the game or mount it on a board on top of the game. Mine is hung so I can move the game without disturbing the eq. Mine is 90cm X 24cm, the biggest they had. I put the mic. on top of the bb behind the eq where it picks up the sound just perfect when you have the game volume up. The smaller displays have fewer vertical line bars.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My topper has its own topper!

Pictures or you aint got.

#48 4 years ago

Pinball toppers are cool. Pin manufactures have been making them for years. Glad to see that people are still making them for both new and old machines. They are a work of art and add to the pinball game.

20150125_075826.jpg
    #49 4 years ago

HSII the Getaway topper w/Black Rose light mod is outstanding!

#50 4 years ago

I don't really like toppers.

They never seem to blend in with the artwork and theme of the game.

They always look like some cheap plastic random item stacked on top of the game.

like as if your kid left his plastic skeletor castle greyskull playset on top of the pinball machine

plus the location of the topper is kind of awkward, the way topper is perched up on the top of the backbox makes it look like it's not really part of the game.

The Cirqus Voltaire scrollwork topper is worst, it completely and totally does not match the rest of the artwork of the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside