(Topic ID: 204768)

Can somebody explain net neutrality to me?

By Dooskie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

What about this though. I really hope that I don't sound stupid here but do IF the cable companies own and has invested their money into all of the equipment and stuff to provide the internet service and netflix and amazon etc is using their service and it's hurting their tv business, why wouldn't they have the right to stop them in some way or another?
    I mean you can't walk in McDonald's and start using their equipment to make hamburgers and french fries to put them out of business right? You can't set up shop inside Wal Mart and start selling products etc. I know it's a wild comparison but it's kind of the same thing seems like.
    I don't want my internet restricted no more than anyone else believe me, but I'm just trying to look at the big picture here and figure this out. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you're missing something...

You ORDER a hamburger at McDonald's, and PAY them for your food
    McDonald's had to invest in the equipment to deliver a product (hamburger) you want to buy.

You ORDER internet service from your ISP, and PAY them for that service for your bill.
    Comcast had to invest in equipment to deliver a product (internet service) you wanted to buy.

Netflix and Amazon are also paying their ISP's to connect them to the internet.
    The ISP's they use are getting paid for the use of their equipment.

You, and Netflix, are paying for the service already and are NOT using it for free like you analogy implies.

Or to put it another way:
    Just because ATT, the telephone company, also owns Direct TV, doesn't mean that they should be allowed to BLOCK a telephone call I make to Dish Network to order service; even if redirecting or blocking my call to Dish could help them sell me on Direct TV.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-somebody-explain-net-neutrality-to-me?tu=themadman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.