(Topic ID: 204768)

Can somebody explain net neutrality to me?

By Dooskie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

Every day you read about people "unplugging" from cable or Directv. Most are not really unplugging because they retain high speed internet through their cable provider, AT&T, etc. Using that generic "net neutral" Internet connection, they are now picking and choosing the streaming services they want to "watch TV on". So in essence the cable company has gone from both Internet AND content provider to simply the generic high speed Internet provider. Their bill has been cut drastically too since they are only providing data.

Now imagine laws being changed so the Internet provider could control what streaming services you can have high speed access to? They could provide you with unlimited high speed access to the ones that they either own or have a sweetheart deal with and shut out or throttle the others. So now instead of being a generic high speed Internet provider, they can play favorites with content providers. This explains why the cable companies are pushing this so hard to remove the net neutrality laws.

On the other hand with growing competition in the industry, consumers in the future will have choices. For instance I have three different options for high speed Internet in my neighborhood (not including cell hot spots). Should a provider throttle Netflix or Amazon they would lose business in droves. Also, as technology marches on, 1080p and even 4k streams are becoming easier to pull off. Wasn't that long ago that Netflix chugged and stuttered on 480p. So I don't think the sky is falling the way a lot of people do, but I still agree that the answer here is somewhere in the middle and would not want to see neutrality go away completely. The smaller companies would be the ones that suffer most. Netflix had to start somewhere and total lack of regulation could easily prevent new emerging companies from catching hold.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-somebody-explain-net-neutrality-to-me?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.