(Topic ID: 204768)

Can somebody explain net neutrality to me?

By Dooskie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 6 years ago

It's important to note that before 2015, there was no "net neutrality." And things seemed to be ok. There's already laws on the books that would prevent, for example, Comcast from trying to block Netflix in favor of their own streaming services. Indeed, companies have been slapped with fines on this in the past.

It's also important to note that although people are saying it's going to hurt the little companies, ask yourself this: If that's true, why are companies like Google, Netflix, and Facebook arguing in FAVOR of this regulation? Could it possibly be to protect their business? Or maybe they're just being altruistic with their shareholder money. You choose.

It's also really curious to me that everyone is up in arms over this regulation, yet nobody cares that Facebook and Google are ALREADY limiting what you can see. It's been proven with research that if something winds up on the 2nd or 3rd page of a Google search, almost nobody looks at it. Why is it ok for Google to block sites it doesn't want you to see (like RT), and nobody is batting an eyelash?

Based on what I'm seeing here, I suspect I might get my first downvotes, which is disappointing, but what can you do?

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

You are incorrect. The FCC's current plans to repeal Net Neutrality would make what you describe 100% legal.

Then can you explain how the FCC was able to step in and fine ISPs for this behavior before the Net Neutrality regulation was put into effect in 2015? For example:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/

There are already laws on the books that cover anti-competitive stuff. Removing some regulation that was enacted only two years ago is hardly going to be the collapse of the Internet as we know it. In fact, I doubt you'll even see a difference whether it stays or goes.

Quoted from pezpunk:

Because Facebook and Google don't control your internet connection, duh. They are merely sites you visit through your internet connection. There are practically an infinite number of websites one can choose from. Switching websites is as easy as typing an address into the URL bar.

In theory, sure. In principle, no. People get their news from social media and their search results from the first couple of hits on Google. Yeah, there's some outliers, but by and large, that's the fact.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

It's kind of weird that you would cite a case of an ISP abusing its customers as an argument for repealing legislation that would specifically prevent that abuse. The FCC didn't really do anything in this case. They investigated, but couldn't prove any formal wrongdoing, since Net Neutrality wasn't a law yet. Net Neutrality was a principle that most ISPs followed, and this case was investigated because it violated the principles of Net Neutrality, but it hadn't been enacted into law yet. It's nice that the ISP voluntarily stopped blocking VOIP calls, but the FCC at the time probably couldn't have forced them to do anything. I think it's a perfect case study for why Net Neutrality is needed.

Umm, they fined the company $15,000... My point is the net neutrality regulation, which was not in place prior to 2015, is not needed because we already have rules and laws preventing a lot of this stuff that people are concerned about. It will have practically no impact on anybody.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

No, they didn't. The company voluntarily donated $15,000 to the U.S. treasury in exchange for the FCC dropping its investigation. If Net Neutrality had been in place, then they could have fined them. It was one of the case studies used to argue in favor of Net Neutrality.

Donated $15k? You're kidding me, right? If the FCC had no teeth because there was no net neutrality, why did they donate $15k to the FCC?

Rhetorical question. We can agree to disagree here.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Internet is a SERVICE. Like phone, water, gas, electricity - you pay for a service and you should get your service. It's not any more complicated than that.
    You pick up your phone and you expect a dial tone. You open your tap and expect water. You turn on your stove and you expect a flame. You turn on a lamp and you expect a light.
    You go to a website and you EXPECT THAT WEBSITE.

Bad example. Your city throttles your water usage -- I can't water my lawn half the month. Electric companies throttle electricity usage - they're called brownouts, happen a lot in California and during hot weather when everyone wants to use their AC. Electric companies even give you a discount if you let them remotely turn your AC off during specific times of the day.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Bad re-analogy - the examples you give throttle USAGE (ie. bandwidth) not ACCESS. The water company doesn't say you can't water your lawn, just that you get a certain amount of water a month. The power company doesn't say you can power your fridge but not your computer.
    Although I don't personally agree with bandwidth caps, as in my opinion if you pay for a certain speed you should get it fully and not capped, that seems to be generally accepted. The problem begins when they start restricting access - they go from common carrier to dictating access.

I'm not making an analogy, I'm just responding to yours! You said: " You open your tap and expect water. You turn on a lamp and you expect a light," and I simply countered that it isn't true -- if you're in a brownout, you turn on a lamp, you won't get any light. If I turn on my sprinkler when I'm not supposed to, I get a progressively larger fine from the city. That's not about usage, it's about access -- I'm not allowed to access my water on certain days and I can't access my electricity at certain times. (well, I've never lived in a brownout area, so that's never hit me before). It's about access AND usage.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Land of 10,000 lakes my ass

That made me laugh.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

This was more difficult to do before net neutrality because isp's were blocking online payment services that they didn't own. How that constitutes "fair and competitive" I have no idea, but that's how things used to be, and how I expect things will become once again.

Can you show a case where an ISP was blocking an online payment service? Because I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm not aware of a single ISP that owns a payment service company either.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

The biggest impact imo will be pirates. TONs of people are watching copyrighted material without providing any compensation to the creators. I guarantee Kodi will be one of the first things to be affected now that isp’s can block the sources.
    Tons of other bad things will come from this, but Hollywood has some powerful political operatives!

There was already an exception in the current net neutrality rules carved out for copyright violations, so nothing changes from that perspective.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-somebody-explain-net-neutrality-to-me?tu=fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.