(Topic ID: 204768)

Can somebody explain net neutrality to me?

By Dooskie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Only thing I use the internet for personally is for online gaming and streaming netflix and twitch pinball streams.
    I'm old school, I do whatever is needed to get by. I don't have to have much to get by.

This is why you don't care, you basically don't use the internet for much of anything. To draw a parallel to your situation, it would be like if meat was outlawed in the USA and vegan's were not understanding what the big deal was. In this circumstance, you are the vegan equivalent. You don't use the internet so naturally you don't care. For most everyone else, especially younger folk, internet is as essential as electricity, it's used for just about everything. Simple example, I get rent payments via the internet. This was more difficult to do before net neutrality because isp's were blocking online payment services that they didn't own. How that constitutes "fair and competitive" I have no idea, but that's how things used to be, and how I expect things will become once again.

The only possible upshot I can see to all this is that wireless service will make quicker advancements, since land based internet is a pure monopoly in this country so they will lock everything down with their newfound power. But maybe that can be cracked if new wireless services come into play.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Can you show a case where an ISP was blocking an online payment service? Because I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm not aware of a single ISP that owns a payment service company either.

Back in 2011 Google Wallet was introduced as a universal payment method, except Verizon blocked it on their network because they were backing an alternate payment service. Verizon wanted to control how you make payments and where your money goes, hence they blocked the competing product because without net neutrality an isp can do anything they want. For someone like me that takes hundreds of payments a year digitally (since checks are an archaic form of payment and something many young people don't even use anymore), the ability of an isp to block all such payments because they want you to use their service instead is the definition of anti competitive. If this was allowed to go unchecked back in 2011 then all the no cost payment services that we now take for granted like Venmo, Circlepay, Squarecash, etc, all the stuff young folk use daily (and me as well) would not exist and instead we'd all be paying Verizon and the like a % anytime we wanted to make a financial transaction.

Now this can happen again because isp's once again can determine what data is and isn't allowed over the pipes. Of course they will promise that they won't, but a quick google search will show how often they violate those promises when there isn't a legal precedent to prevent them from doing so.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-somebody-explain-net-neutrality-to-me?tu=Reality_Studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.