(Topic ID: 204768)

Can somebody explain net neutrality to me?

By Dooskie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Netflix, etc., do pay Time Warner (or whoever) to use that infrastructure though.

Now - but they didn't want to. The fuel from Netflix in 2014 was about Netflix fighting for free access to ISP networks arguing they should be allowed in under the traditional peering arrangements that had been the status quo between providers in years prior.

Netflix showed up at their door.. and said "you need to give me network pipe".. and ISPs baulked at their lopsided pitch.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Tell that to a person trying to interview for a job.. or search for housing.. etc. We're a digital society now - that's reality. And why having public access to the internet via things like libraries is a thing.. and important. So those who can't afford it themselves, still have access.
    It's no longer a luxury.

If I had to use a computer I could go to the library like I said. I have 2 big companies wanting to hire me right now and they just ask me if I wanted a job, no need to fill out an online application. I realize that this is how things are going now but like I said, I could go to the library if need be. All im saying is most of us do not have to have the internet in our homes to get by. If I ever become unemployed, the internet and my cable TV is the first cut that I'm going to make because it's two luxuries that I don't have to have to survive. Only thing I use the internet for personally is for online gaming and streaming netflix and twitch pinball streams.

I'm old school, I do whatever is needed to get by. I don't have to have much to get by.

#103 6 years ago

This should not be a partisan issue but unfortunately it is turning into one. Net neutrality is good for all of us except for maybe a few very large and very profitable corporations. In order to push their agenda, those companies have crafted it as a partisan issue.

How did they do it? They gave a shit ton of money to one side of the political spectrum. Those bought and paid for politicians and the usual talking heads then spew their bs all over radio, tv and websites like the daily wire referenced above. I’ve actually heard the argument made “the liberal elite want net neutrality so bad, you know it must be a bad idea.” And it’s as easy as that.

There have been many solid arguments on this thread by people in favor of net neutrality, and only false narratives cited in those opposed to it. But that won’t change anyones mind. This issue has gone partisan, and now we’re all gonna get screwed.

#104 6 years ago

i agree it really shouldn't be a partisan issue, and it really wasn't until a few years ago. :/

#105 6 years ago

What are the arguments in favor or revoking net neutrality? I haven’t heard any credible ones that justify this even being tabled for discussion.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Bad example. Your city throttles your water usage -- I can't water my lawn half the month. Electric companies throttle electricity usage - they're called brownouts, happen a lot in California and during hot weather when everyone wants to use their AC. Electric companies even give you a discount if you let them remotely turn your AC off during specific times of the day.

no, I think it would be more like land phone lines were. Would be like the phone company not letting you dial numbers with the number 2 in them. How pissed would you be?

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

If I had to use a computer I could go to the library like I said. I have 2 big companies wanting to hire me right now and they just ask me if I wanted a job, no need to fill out an online application.

Are you incapable of seeing anything beyond your immediate vicinity? Yeah, maybe YOU will be fine without the internet (although I suspect it reaches further into your life than you suspect) but there’s this whole rest the world out there that DOES need it.

There seems to be this mentality that if Something doesn’t effect someone directly on a daily basis that it’s not important or they are incapable of seeing it might be important to others.

Such a boomer attitude. “Why don’t those kids just get jobs? When I was their age I went and got a job pumping gas that paid my mortgage! They’re just lazy!”

Guess what, the world has changed while you weren’t watching. Net Neutrality is important even if you don’t need it.

“Why should I pay for schools, my kids are all grown up!” Well, it benefits everyone to have an educated population, just like an internet free from commercial exploitation.

#108 6 years ago

The internet has become much more a part of people's lives than most realize. I probably do about 50% of my non-food-item shopping on Amazon alone. It has been reported that the majority of people in the US are now using the internet to pay their bills. There are good reasons the post office has been struggling while UPS has been growing.

I also use the internet all day long because I work at home full-time on a flex schedule.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You can reject it all you want but here’s the facts, if I lose my job I will be dropping my cable and internet immediately because ...

How would you find another job without the internet? Drop by your local McD and fill out an application?

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Are you incapable of seeing anything beyond your immediate vicinity? Yeah, maybe YOU will be fine without the internet (although I suspect it reaches further into your life than you suspect) but there’s this whole rest the world out there that DOES need it.
    There seems to be this mentality that if Something doesn’t effect someone directly on a daily basis that it’s not important or they are incapable of seeing it might be important to others.
    Such a boomer attitude. “Why don’t those kids just get jobs? When I was their age I went and got a job pumping gas that paid my mortgage! They’re just lazy!”
    Guess what, the world has changed while you weren’t watching. Net Neutrality is important even if you don’t need it.
    “Why should I pay for schools, my kids are all grown up!” Well, it benefits everyone to have an educated population, just like an internet free from commercial exploitation.

World hunger isn't a thing - I just had a sandwich /S
    A mind of narrow proportion.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

What about this though. I really hope that I don't sound stupid here but do IF the cable companies own and has invested their money into all of the equipment and stuff to provide the internet service and netflix and amazon etc is using their service and it's hurting their tv business, why wouldn't they have the right to stop them in some way or another?
    I mean you can't walk in McDonald's and start using their equipment to make hamburgers and french fries to put them out of business right? You can't set up shop inside Wal Mart and start selling products etc. I know it's a wild comparison but it's kind of the same thing seems like.
    I don't want my internet restricted no more than anyone else believe me, but I'm just trying to look at the big picture here and figure this out. Am I missing something here?

This analogy doesn't work.

McDonald's isn't selling a kitchen service. Its selling an end product, food. Walmart isn't selling retail space, they are selling merchandise.

ISPs are selling internet service. They aren't sold as a "comcast intranet" provider.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

How would you find another job without the internet? Drop by your local McD and fill out an application?

Because i am good at what I do and I have friends in the same field as me that is ready to hire me if I want to switch companies. What did people do before the internet? They got off their ass and went and found work instead of looking for work sitting at their computer desk.

#113 6 years ago

It could mean a 4 gig Star Wars update could take an additional couple hours to download.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Only thing I use the internet for personally is for online gaming and streaming netflix and twitch pinball streams.
    I'm old school, I do whatever is needed to get by. I don't have to have much to get by.

This is why you don't care, you basically don't use the internet for much of anything. To draw a parallel to your situation, it would be like if meat was outlawed in the USA and vegan's were not understanding what the big deal was. In this circumstance, you are the vegan equivalent. You don't use the internet so naturally you don't care. For most everyone else, especially younger folk, internet is as essential as electricity, it's used for just about everything. Simple example, I get rent payments via the internet. This was more difficult to do before net neutrality because isp's were blocking online payment services that they didn't own. How that constitutes "fair and competitive" I have no idea, but that's how things used to be, and how I expect things will become once again.

The only possible upshot I can see to all this is that wireless service will make quicker advancements, since land based internet is a pure monopoly in this country so they will lock everything down with their newfound power. But maybe that can be cracked if new wireless services come into play.

#115 6 years ago

The biggest impact imo will be pirates. TONs of people are watching copyrighted material without providing any compensation to the creators. I guarantee Kodi will be one of the first things to be affected now that isp’s can block the sources.
    Tons of other bad things will come from this, but Hollywood has some powerful political operatives!

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

This was more difficult to do before net neutrality because isp's were blocking online payment services that they didn't own. How that constitutes "fair and competitive" I have no idea, but that's how things used to be, and how I expect things will become once again.

Can you show a case where an ISP was blocking an online payment service? Because I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm not aware of a single ISP that owns a payment service company either.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

The biggest impact imo will be pirates. TONs of people are watching copyrighted material without providing any compensation to the creators. I guarantee Kodi will be one of the first things to be affected now that isp’s can block the sources.
    Tons of other bad things will come from this, but Hollywood has some powerful political operatives!

There was already an exception in the current net neutrality rules carved out for copyright violations, so nothing changes from that perspective.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Can you show a case where an ISP was blocking an online payment service? Because I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm not aware of a single ISP that owns a payment service company either.

Back in 2011 Google Wallet was introduced as a universal payment method, except Verizon blocked it on their network because they were backing an alternate payment service. Verizon wanted to control how you make payments and where your money goes, hence they blocked the competing product because without net neutrality an isp can do anything they want. For someone like me that takes hundreds of payments a year digitally (since checks are an archaic form of payment and something many young people don't even use anymore), the ability of an isp to block all such payments because they want you to use their service instead is the definition of anti competitive. If this was allowed to go unchecked back in 2011 then all the no cost payment services that we now take for granted like Venmo, Circlepay, Squarecash, etc, all the stuff young folk use daily (and me as well) would not exist and instead we'd all be paying Verizon and the like a % anytime we wanted to make a financial transaction.

Now this can happen again because isp's once again can determine what data is and isn't allowed over the pipes. Of course they will promise that they won't, but a quick google search will show how often they violate those promises when there isn't a legal precedent to prevent them from doing so.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

What did people do before the internet? They got off their ass and went and found work instead of looking for work sitting at their computer desk.

Since I graduated college in 2014, I applied to approximately 100 jobs. All entry level, and I wasn't picky. NONE of them allowed me to fill out an application "in person." Everything was done online from uploading of resumes, filling out applications, even personality tests. Consider yourself lucky that you'd be able to find work in a similar field without the internet, but for literally everyone else in the United States, it's virtually impossible. Time has marched forward, and online applications are pretty much the only way.

As an aside, that's why I still believe libraries are still incredibly important in today's society. My tenure working at a school, it's amazing to see how many families struggle to provide basic needs--many of them don't even have computers in their homes, let alone access to the internet. Many of those low income students rely on the school library to do just about everything. Often, they'll find themselves at a public library for free computer and internet access that they can't receive at home.

It's amazing how much we take certain technologies for granted these days, but they've become cornerstones of our lives. They're absolutely necessary.

2 weeks later
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-somebody-explain-net-neutrality-to-me/page/3?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.