Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7725 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7676 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).jpg
    IMG_7620 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7618 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7616 (resized).JPG
    Trident SDB (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago

What usually happens is the respective "base" transistor leg in the transistor array (U3) goes open circuit which ultimately causes the final output transistor (Q9 here) to lock on.

Check the voltage at the base pin 3 of U3. If it's over 0.9 volts, U3 is suspect. When the base leg goes open circuit it usually reads near 5 volts which is bad.

#9 2 years ago

What do you mean by "mV" reading? If you mean you're not getting a reading, an open circuit (bad solder/trace) to pin 8 will cause the same fault as above with Q10 (D.T #5) locking on.

Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I understand that chip is no longer available but I have an old SDB that I've been stealing parts from.

BTW you can still get CA3081 devices on ebay, eg:
    ebay.com link: itm

#12 2 years ago

Probably time to go right through the solenoid driver board. Test all the driver transistors, diodes and CA3081 devices with your multi-meter. And look for any fractured solder joints around the pin headers that need to be touched up. Check the diode on the saucer (eject pocket) coil too - make sure the diode lead hasn't broken.

1 week later
    #15 2 years ago

The problem now is the displays have a slight flicker.

Check the solder connections on capacitor C26 because it might not be filtering the DC input properly. If you have an ESR meter, test the capacitor (after you've discharged it) and/or replace it.
    Stern spec is 175 volts.
    Ballys I set to 180-182 volts.

Stern displays can sometimes internally arc that reduces when you turn down the voltage. And some Stern displays gas out where turning down the voltage causes segments not to illuminate. So sometimes you have to compromise on the voltage.

#20 2 years ago

I just checked R51 and R55 in circuit:

R51 = 32.2 ohms
    R55 = 8.16 k ohms

Would being in circuit make a difference?

Since you have working boards compare to those.
    But most likely they're goners including the three transistors.

1 week later
    #26 2 years ago

Are you getting diode readings across the three transistors like those from a working board?

What voltage are you measuring across resistor R55?
    What voltages do you measure on each leg of R51?

Grab your oscilloscope. Be sure to set the probe to X10
    Post a snapshot at TP2

BTW the centre leg of the trimmer pot looks awfully close to one of the other legs. Not sure if it' the angle of the pictures.

#28 2 years ago

Can this be done with only J3 and J5 connected?

You only need J3 connected. The other connectors are solenoid related.

#37 2 years ago

R55 - across = 4.6v ; bottom leg = 1.4Mv ; top leg = 4.6v

Resistor R55 sits across the base/emitter legs of transistor Q23. I'm kinda surprised the Q23 transistor isn't damaged with 4.6V across those legs. Can you adjust the output voltage on TP2 in a respectable range?

I just looked back at the thread and actually the first picture in post #16 shows the copper through hole VIA is missing at that capacitor leads solder pad hole.
    Lucky Rikoshay got you to recheck the joint.

Hi Mark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-q3-cause-one-coil-to-stick-on?tu=Quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.