Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7725 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7676 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).jpg
    IMG_7620 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7618 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7616 (resized).JPG
    Trident SDB (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I’m testing some solenoid driver boards in a Stern Trident. Two boards tested fine. The third board drops the number 4 drop target at start up – acting like a stuck on coil. I can’t get to the coil without removing the target assembly but I’m sure the problem is with the driver board. I diode tested the TIP102 (Q9) and it showed the same as the adjacent transistors. But I replaced it anyway. Still getting the same results.

Could Q3 fail in only one section? What else could be causing this stuck on coil?

Thanks

Bob

Trident SDB (resized).jpgTrident SDB (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

I'm guessing you mean U3 not Q3?

Yes, they can and do fail in sections. This chip is really only 7 separate transistors blobbed into one package.

#3 2 years ago

Sorry - yes i meant U3 not Q3.

I don't see much else that could fail causing this kind of problem. Not much else in that circuit.

A bad diode (CR9) wouldn't cause that would it?

#4 2 years ago

What usually happens is the respective "base" transistor leg in the transistor array (U3) goes open circuit which ultimately causes the final output transistor (Q9 here) to lock on.

Check the voltage at the base pin 3 of U3. If it's over 0.9 volts, U3 is suspect. When the base leg goes open circuit it usually reads near 5 volts which is bad.

#5 2 years ago

The diode could cause issues as could anything in that chain.

If you remove the diode the solenoid should stay OFF because R26 will bias the driver transistor OFF. That would then prove your U3 is cactus.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Check the voltage at the base pin 3 of U3. If it's over 0.9 volts, U3 is suspect. When the base leg goes open circuit it usually reads near 5 volts which is bad.

U3 pin 3 measures 4.63 volts. I think that's it. I was going to check the other base pins but were in an electrical storm at this time so i quit for the night. Tomorrow I'll check the other base pins and the diode but I think we found the problem.

I understand that chip is no longer available but I have an old SDB that I've been stealing parts from.

Thanks guys - I'll let you know what i find.

Bob

#7 2 years ago

The CA3081 contains 7 NPN transistors. If one is bad, and you can't find a replacement IC, you can always resort to cutting the base (pin 3) and collector (pin 2) of the failed U3 transistor from the IC and solder a BC547 or equivalent to PCB side. Transistor emitter goes to ground, or pin 15 of CA3081.

#8 2 years ago

Quick update, I pulled the CA3081 from my old SDB. Then I removed the suspect 3081 from this board. Unfortunately I lost a few solder pads and had to do some stich work. I installed the board in the game and turned it on. This time drop target 5 went stuck on. I ran through solenoid test and target 4 is working fine but target 5 is stuck on. I tested the voltages as Quench suggested:

pin 3 = .86
    pin 6 = .85
    pin 8 = mV
    pin 10 = .84
    pin 11 = .89
    pin 13 = .85
    pin 16 = .84

Pin 8 is the control for target 5. I'm not sure if pin 8 was one of the missing solder pads. I haven't removed the board yet.

When target 4 was stuck on I got 4.62 volts at pin 3 but now i get mV at pin 8.

My question tonight is would a bad solder joint at pin 8 cause it to read mV?
    Or do you think this pulled CA3081 is bad?

Thanks

Bob

#9 2 years ago

What do you mean by "mV" reading? If you mean you're not getting a reading, an open circuit (bad solder/trace) to pin 8 will cause the same fault as above with Q10 (D.T #5) locking on.

Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I understand that chip is no longer available but I have an old SDB that I've been stealing parts from.

BTW you can still get CA3081 devices on ebay, eg:
    ebay.com link: itm

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

What do you mean by "mV" reading?

My meter says mV (millivolts?) - The number fluctuates so much I can't get a solid number. I guess it's showing open. I get the same fluctuating when only the ground is attached. I'll check my connections tomorrow if I have time.

Thanks for the lead on the CA3081's. I'll order some.

I normally install IC sockets but the pulled IC had solder residue on the pins so i didn't use sockets.

Thanks

Bob

#11 2 years ago

I don't think this driver board wants to cooperate. I found a bad solder joint on U3 pin 8. Fixed it and installed the board. Drop targets 4 and 5 are now working fine but now the Eject Pocket (sauser) is stuck on. I checked U3 pin 10 and it's still .84 volts. I guess Q12 is now suspect.

Am I doing something wrong? Could Q12 been bad all along and didn't lock on because the other coils were locked on before?

I seem to be going down the list of coils.

Thanks

Bob

#12 2 years ago

Probably time to go right through the solenoid driver board. Test all the driver transistors, diodes and CA3081 devices with your multi-meter. And look for any fractured solder joints around the pin headers that need to be touched up. Check the diode on the saucer (eject pocket) coil too - make sure the diode lead hasn't broken.

1 week later
    #13 2 years ago

Update: Because the old pulled CA3081 had some solder residue I didn't use an IC socket. And I wasn't happy with my solder stitch work. I got in some new CA3081's so I removed the old CA3081 and installed an IC socket. I put everything back together and it works fine. Three down and one to go.

I installed the third driver board to test. The outhole coil stuck on. I replaced Q16 and now all the coils test fine.

The problem now is the displays have a slight flicker. I'm guessing the trim pot needs adjusting. (C26 is new). As soon as I find my plastic screwdriver I'll check the TP2. 185 volts seems a little high. What do you set the output at?

Thanks

Bob

#14 2 years ago

175v DC - some suggest even lower but one thing is for sure, the factory suggested 190V is WAY too high.

#15 2 years ago

The problem now is the displays have a slight flicker.

Check the solder connections on capacitor C26 because it might not be filtering the DC input properly. If you have an ESR meter, test the capacitor (after you've discharged it) and/or replace it.
    Stern spec is 175 volts.
    Ballys I set to 180-182 volts.

Stern displays can sometimes internally arc that reduces when you turn down the voltage. And some Stern displays gas out where turning down the voltage causes segments not to illuminate. So sometimes you have to compromise on the voltage.

#16 2 years ago

TP2 and TP4 on the driver board both show 81 volts DC. Adjusting the trimmer pot makes no difference. Then I checked the rectifier board - TP2 shows 81 volts. I disconnected J3 (on the rectifier board) and TP2 goes to 173 volts.

A little background on this board - It's a Stern SDU 100 rev 0. When I got it the trimmer pot was broken. I replaced the trimmer but the hole spacing was not the same so I had to modify the connections. They tone out OK. I'm not sure where I got the trimmer but I think the markings are 25 3M 7845.

Before I replace this trimmer can I check it in circuit? How do I do that?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_7616 (resized).JPGIMG_7616 (resized).JPGIMG_7618 (resized).JPGIMG_7618 (resized).JPGIMG_7620 (resized).JPGIMG_7620 (resized).JPG
    #17 2 years ago

The trimmer should be 25K measured across the two outside terminals OUT OF CIRCUIT!

You likely have other problems with the regulator circuit - very common. I suggest you head over to PinWiki and have a good read - it has EVERYTHING you need to know to fix this regulator part of the board.

#18 2 years ago

Thanks Pins,

Between the outside terminals I have 20.07 k. The new pot I have now on hand shows 23.72k.

The old pot - from outside to center shows 7.1 ohms to 20 k. The new pot shows .7 ohms to 23.72 k.

I think it's in the ballpark. Looks like I got some reading to do tonight.

The only thing that 'looks' suspicious is R51 and R55 look a little toasty. I'll check those later.

Bob

#19 2 years ago

I just checked R51 and R55 in circuit:

R51 = 32.2 ohms
    R55 = 8.16 k ohms

Would being in circuit make a difference?

#20 2 years ago

I just checked R51 and R55 in circuit:

R51 = 32.2 ohms
    R55 = 8.16 k ohms

Would being in circuit make a difference?

Since you have working boards compare to those.
    But most likely they're goners including the three transistors.

#21 2 years ago

The centre of a pot is the wiper. As you turn it, it transitions from one outside leg to the other. Not much point measuring from the centre leg.

Yes, the transistors are likely toast.

#22 2 years ago

I just compared the resistors on this board to a working board.

R51 = 21.3K working - 32.9 ohms non working (should be 22K)

R55 = 1.2K working - 8.4K non working (should be 1.2K)

I'd say the resistors (at least) are goners.

New resistors and transistors are on order.

I'll post when they are installed.

Thanks

Bob

Capture (resized).jpgCapture (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #23 2 years ago

Parts arrived except Q21 (hopefully it's be here this week).

Tonight I replaced R51, R55, R56, Q22 and Q23. I installed the board and no change. 80 volts at TP2 and TP4. Turning the trimmer makes no difference.

Displays still flicker.

I'll let you know when Q21 comes in.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_7676 (resized).JPGIMG_7676 (resized).JPG
    #24 2 years ago

You should replace ALL semiconductors at the same time BEFORE switching on.

The new parts can be damaged instantly so you will be forever going around in circles.

Fingers crossed you are OK but it is not advisable to 'partially' repair things like this - it usually ends in tears!

#25 2 years ago

Today the Q21 arrived. I installed it and got the same results. 80 volts at TP2 , TP4, and at the rectifier board.

Pins, you may be right but I only ordered one Q21. I have extra for Q22 and Q23.

What could be causing this voltage drop? I have replaced Q21, Q22, Q23,R51,R55.and R56.

I'm at a loss.

Bob

#26 2 years ago

Are you getting diode readings across the three transistors like those from a working board?

What voltage are you measuring across resistor R55?
    What voltages do you measure on each leg of R51?

Grab your oscilloscope. Be sure to set the probe to X10
    Post a snapshot at TP2

BTW the centre leg of the trimmer pot looks awfully close to one of the other legs. Not sure if it' the angle of the pictures.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

What voltage are you measuring across resistor R55?
    What voltages do you measure on each leg of R51?

Grab your oscilloscope. Be sure to set the probe to X10
    Post a snapshot at TP2

Can this be done with only J3 and J5 connected?

#28 2 years ago

Can this be done with only J3 and J5 connected?

You only need J3 connected. The other connectors are solenoid related.

#29 2 years ago

it did get mentioned in #15, and i have tried reading repeatedly but may have missed something......but did you fill that top solder hole for the + leg of C26 for the top trace?

what reading do you have at the banded end of VR1?

#30 2 years ago

Thanks Rikoshay, the solder hole is an optical illusion. I have good continuity there.
    I'll get back with the voltage readings shortly.

Thanks

Bob

#31 2 years ago

I checked the voltages:

R55 - across = 4.6v ; bottom leg = 1.4Mv ; top leg = 4.6v

R51 - across = 74.5v ; bottom leg = 5.8v ; top leg = 1.3 Mv - I checked each point twice. But the second try on R51 - top leg I got 190 Mv and it was fluctuating (like an open circuit)

Then I checked the banded side of VR1 and get 200 Mv - fluctuating.

Then I checked the displays and they were all dark. I'm not sure but I think they went dark between my first and second attempt at R51 top leg.

Back in post 15 Quench suggested I check the solder connections on C26. I looked at the solder joint on the back of the board and it looked fine. (I didn't check continuity)

IMG_7725 (resized).JPGIMG_7725 (resized).JPG

After the displays went dark I pulled the board and took it to the bench. This time I did continuity check the solder connection on the top of the board. It showed open from the + leg of C26 to TP4. I re-soldered the connection on the top of the board and now I have continuity to TP4.

This was probably the problem all along. I just hope something else isn't causing the dark displays now. I'll try another driver board and check the displays. Then I'll install this board and try again.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

Bob

#32 2 years ago

I quickly tried another driver board that was working before. No displays. I have nothing on TP4. Maybe a fuse. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

#33 2 years ago

If the HV section is giving you a lot of grief, you can always switch over to a LED display kit from Wolffpac - no need for the HV section then. Very nice kit, I might add.

https://www.wolffpactech.com/

#34 2 years ago

Thanks Mark, I'm very familiar with his displays - I did the beta testing on his Williams 3 - 6 displays. And I built several Bally/Stern displays. You're right nice kits and easy to assemble. However this is just a spare board I'm trying to get working.

Bob

#35 2 years ago

Thanks Mark, I'm very familiar with his displays - I did the beta testing on his Williams 3 - 6 displays. And I built several Bally/Stern displays. You're right nice kits and easy to assemble. However this is just a spare board I'm trying to get working.
    Bob

Hi Bob!,

Geez, completely missed you started this post! Looks like the old gang is here: You, me, and Quench. Heck, I still remember the the power supply thread of yours.

- Mark

#36 2 years ago

That power supply was a fun build - I learned a lot. It's still work great. I use it all the time.

I checked the fuse and it was bad. First i tried the known working board and the displays were back. Then I tried this board (the one that's been giving me all this grief). The displays are working with this board also. I just have a couple of solenoids not firing. The biggest lesson learned here is don't go by looks alone. The solder connection on C26 looked fine on the bottom of the board but it didn't come through to the top.

Thanks to everyone.

Bob

#37 2 years ago

R55 - across = 4.6v ; bottom leg = 1.4Mv ; top leg = 4.6v

Resistor R55 sits across the base/emitter legs of transistor Q23. I'm kinda surprised the Q23 transistor isn't damaged with 4.6V across those legs. Can you adjust the output voltage on TP2 in a respectable range?

I just looked back at the thread and actually the first picture in post #16 shows the copper through hole VIA is missing at that capacitor leads solder pad hole.
    Lucky Rikoshay got you to recheck the joint.

Hi Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-q3-cause-one-coil-to-stick-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.