• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Playdium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I finally jump in the world of pinball owners and bought my first pinball machine, an Aztec (EM) 1976 by Williams. The machine was in great condition for the age. I repaired a couple of things, here's the list :
- Left Flipper "machine gunning" : Replaced the coil
- Xylophone had a bad tone : replaced rubber washers
- Light wasn't switching between bumpers/special : Cleaned contacts on the match unit.
- Replaced the ball
- Replace flip rubbers
- 6th digit was missing on all 4 players. It's a fixed digit so I just need to find a replacement. Finally, found the PDF template on internet. Print them on glossy paper and stick them with double side tape. Looks pretty nice and similar!

Now I have 2 problems remaining.

1) When adding players in the game, there's at the bottom right a display named "CAN PLAY" with 4 lamps : 1, 2, 3, 4
Actually, only lamps 1 & 3 works. In case we play 2 or 4 players the lamps doesn't light up.
I checked the schematics & manual and found the player unit which is suppose to do the trick. The contacts are moving at the right position on player 2 or 4 but no light..

Unit is on page 17 of the PDF manual (page 15 of the real manual) : http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/119/Williams_1976_Aztec_Instruction_Manual.pdf

2) The game start as soon as I insert coin. I would like the game work like this : Add a coin, increment 1 credit. Game only start if I press the start button. If I want 2 players, I press 2 times... I don't understand the explanations in the manual. I am sure this is something easy to do but...

Thanks for your help

#2 6 years ago

Problem #1: Obvious, but check the bulbs? And if they're ok, do you have a socket cleaning stick? It's worked on a bunch of mine.

#3 6 years ago

PS-I think you're the first to call the chimes a "xylophone"! I kind of like that.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Problem #1: Obvious, but check the bulbs? And if they're ok, do you have a socket cleaning stick? It's worked on a bunch of mine.

I check the bulbs and they are ok. I don't have a socket cleaning stick but I used a multimeter and test the wires from the back in ohm position and it's okay.

Quoted from currieddog:

PS-I think you're the first to call the chimes a "xylophone"! I kind of like that.

Maybe because I am french and my english isn't so good lol

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

I check the bulbs and they are ok. I don't have a socket cleaning stick but I used a multimeter and test the wires from the back in ohm position and it's okay.

Maybe because I am french and my english isn't so good lol

Get a bit of sand paper or something and scuff up the inside of thay light socket so it makes better contact.

Also use your multimeter and see if you are getting any voltage though that light socket when it's supposed to. It shouldn't have any until that light is supposed to be lit.

#6 6 years ago

For cleaning the inside of the lamp socket, try this brush used with a Dremel tool. I do all of mine this way with perfect results.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/532-stainless-steel-brush

#7 6 years ago

I have been using something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01MQX8L99/ref=mp_s_a_1_36

I had a bunch that came in a kit years ago so I tried one and it fit perfectly in the socket. Spin it for like 5 to 10 seconds and the socket is shiney again and working great.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Also use your multimeter and see if you are getting any voltage though that light socket when it's supposed to. It shouldn't have any until that light is supposed to be lit.

I didn't clean the socket yet but took the voltage from behind. Here are the results :

Lamp #1 gives 5Volt when game is set on 1 player (lamp is ON)
Lamp #2 gives 0Volt when game is set on 1 player (lamp is OFF)
Lamp #2 gives 2.2Volt when game is set on 2 players (lamp is OFF)
Lamp #1 gives 1.7Volt when game is set on 2 players (lamp is OFF)

I didn't check value on #3 & #4.. Let me know if you need this too

#9 6 years ago

Possibly dirty or bad solder connection. Check the voltage output at the source, (player unit), at all 4 positions. Should be a constant 5-6 volts. Then at the lamp location, measure the voltage at the soldered connection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-play-light-trouble-game-start-adjustment?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.