(Topic ID: 286094)

Can Pinside go back and separate the LEs and Premiums....

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7EF32D3E-4B18-4E77-9A4E-38E651B91E18 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I noticed that in the past, Pinside had the Premium and LE combined into one game. But then at some point they switched over and separated them out. Could Pinside go back and retroactively do that for the older Stern's? It's annoying to see so many ads for GOT or GB that say (Prem/LE) in parentheses, and then have to try to be a detective with the ad to figure out what is actually being sold. It'd be nice if everything was consistent.

Plus, it throws off the Pinside pricing since a GOT LE or GB LE is worth a whole lot more than the Premium version of either of them.

It's a minor quibble, but it bugs me.

#2 3 years ago

robin responded to a similar request a while back. The long short of it is that it's more complicated to split the models after the fact than it actually appears.

Quoted from robin:

Thanks!
A decision was made long ago to not include all the different versions of a game.
This was somewhere in 2008/2009. We started off by simply separating the Pro and the Premium/LE variations since they are very different in gameplay and appearance. Having 5 different listings for 1 game would quickly clutter up the site. I just checked and notice that AC/DC already has separate listings for Pro, Premium/LE and Vault. Vault was a pretty new concept then.
It's all a bit of a mess, to be honest. We never did foresee all these models and on top of that, our machine database is maintained by different people who all have slightly different ideas on this.
The ultimate solution would be to have strictly one listing per game and then a "pick a model" differentiation option. However, since this is all now "grandfathered in", the game is now linked to thousands of marketplace, forum, collection, location etc entities it's pretty complex to perform such operations and changes, which is why I'm reluctant to do so at this point.
But I'm always open to suggestions. What, in your opinion, would be the reason to have a separate listing for the Vault Premium besides the regular Premium? And isn't Luci just another Premium but with different artwork? Is it just mainly for your collection screen to reflect the right game variation? Or do you have other reasons as well?
Sorry for the long winded response
Robin

#3 3 years ago

I would just like the pin info to show what the production number of LE models.
Is it 400
Are pros and premiums literally whatever sells...

Then you further water down with vaults...

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Robin responded to a similar request a while back. The long short of it is that it's more complicated to split the models after the fact than it actually appears.

Oh yeah, never said it would be easy. Just wondering if it could be done. I'd donate some extra money to Pinside just to see it happen.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I would just like the pin info to show what the production number of LE models.
Is it 400
Are pros and premiums literally whatever sells...
Then you further water down with vaults...

Typically from Stern, the LE production numbers are known since the games are numbered, but everything else is generally unpublished, though often times there are guestimates floating around.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Oh yeah, never said it would be easy. Just wondering if it could be done. I'd donate some extra money to Pinside just to see it happen.

Your support certainly is appreciated. While I can't speak to where Robin's focus is at the moment, the point is that right now, there are a lot of other areas of improvement that would have more of a positive impact and take less time to work on than this particular issue. The number of planning and development hours for that task alone is probably several dozen hours at least, but probably way more.

I agree--the models should be split apart. But it's very difficult to reverse course on that now, unfortunately. It wasn't so obvious back then that there would be a need to do that, so not all the programming was in place that made creating and linking models of the same title together very easy.

#7 3 years ago

One thing that is possible but rarely done is when the ad is created, it is possible to edit the title of that ad. By default it will say (prem/LE) but that can be corrected to only read the model you want.

This only helps in terms of seeing what model is actually for sale - which i think is interesting if you are on the hunt for one or the other. The ad is still linked to the prem/LE game for sales history purposes.

7EF32D3E-4B18-4E77-9A4E-38E651B91E18 (resized).png7EF32D3E-4B18-4E77-9A4E-38E651B91E18 (resized).png
#8 3 years ago

I wanted to ask about this, but relating to the Scores page on the profile. For example, wondering why there is options for Jurassic Park LE and Premium, where they are basically the same game. I figured the different options for Score entry was based on gameplay or construction, such as how Star Trek Premium/LE was combined and Star Trek Pro was separate. I am wondering if perhaps there could just be a different arrangement for Score entry that would combine some games together, such as the aforementioned JP LE/Premium.

#9 3 years ago

Originally, the thought was games with models that were similar in appearance and gameplay didn't need to be separated. And back then, it was also a pain to create and manage multiple entries for the same title.

Now, things have changed in both regards. The models have become a bit more different from each other, and now it's easier to create/manage/link separate listings for the same title together.

So, going forward, you can probably expect separate listings for each significant model.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,999.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-pinside-go-back-and-separate-the-les-and-premiums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.