Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mack505
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47B3A64-A508-4EA4-86DC-3EA53FAE6169 (resized).jpeg
    087815D1-0D49-44A5-8D14-89EAA7E79971 (resized).jpeg
    70E5D299-7C5F-48BF-A9D1-33BC940D4964 (resized).jpeg
    EFD58BC1-E2F7-43F9-AF4B-EE40506936FD (resized).jpeg
    ball (resized).jpg
    Quagmire.jpg
    DSCN2233.jpg
    DSCN2230.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg
    rare-earth-button-type-magnets.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago

They are really hard. This is one of those situations where "if you have to ask how to do it, you probably don't have the right tools to do the job".

If I really wanted to drill a hole in one I would thrown a few into my wood stove, get them red hot and let them cool down very slowly buried in ash to get them softer and easier to drill.

You could grind a flat spot onto one side so the drill won't "slip" off when you try to drill it with a carbide bit.

The best choice would probably to just attaching something onto the ball via welding or brazing instead of trying to drill a hole. I assume you are trying to attach the ball to something.

Best of luck

#60 9 years ago

Eddie, I am surprised to hear that pinballs are case hardened and not through hardened. Great photos.

If it is the situation that most pinballs just have a thin case on them it would be easy to just grind through the case and drill with a standard drill. You can avoid the expensive and easy to damage carbide drill.

I have welded onto ball bearings, it works. But you can get some very interesting stress fractures as things cool down. It normally works out OK if you only are welding to small part. I have made up a few stakes for hammering metal onto for shaping by welding on a piece of 3/4" square stock that I can hold in a vice. They work great, super smooth and hard surface to hammer onto.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-pinballs-be-drilled?tu=mg81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.