Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pin-one
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-207.jpg
    image-572.jpg
    image-588.jpg
    image-622.jpg
    image-874.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Okay board guys, can this one be saved? One of many I got got for free. Board is in great shape except that spot.

image-874.jpgimage-874.jpg image-622.jpgimage-622.jpg image-588.jpgimage-588.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

That is not that bad at all. Remove all solder and re flow.

#3 9 years ago

It looks like you're missing some pads. Make sure all of your connections are made. It may take a little creativity, but it's fixable.

#4 9 years ago

It's totally fixable, but wow.

#5 9 years ago

The socket next to the battery holder looks to have some corrosion on the pins as well that needs addressing.

#6 9 years ago

The key will be the traces in pic 2 on the back side - you could jumper those if there aren't too many. They may not be very reliable as they look pretty stressed. Since these are all resistors be sure your jump includes them in the jump path. Doesn't look too bad - and for a few $ its worth a shot.

#7 9 years ago

I never sent boards out for repair but I think this one is beyond my abilities.

#8 9 years ago

If you have the right tools you could pop eyelets in their to repair the through-holes in 15-30 minutes. See the info below.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/230-repairing-plated-through-holes

#9 9 years ago

If you decide to use 2716 Eprom's you don't need to reinstall that chip anymore. And of course replace those Scanbe sockets.

#10 9 years ago

That's one's definitely fixable. It won't even be that challenging of a repair, just looks bad.

I would remove all of the extra solder and clean up the remaining pads with fine sand paper. It's okay if pads are completely gone, just install sockets and make sure all of the pins are connected to the traces accordingly. You might need to solder the pins on both sides so I would use SIP machine pins. Luckily it doesn't look like that many pins are even connected. You might need to use a couple small pieces of wire to make it happen, but this is an easy repair.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

If you have the right tools you could pop eyelets in their to repair the through-holes in 15-30 minutes. See the info below.
    http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/230-repairing-plated-through-holes

Thanks Terry, I'm feeling a little more confidant. I will order the tools and give it a shot. I have some practice boards I could use to get a feel for it.

#12 9 years ago

Is there a trick to get these pins out. Nothing to grab on.

image-572.jpgimage-572.jpg
    #13 9 years ago

Heat up the joint and push the pin out with a toothpick. Also if the pin is straight a solder sucker (or better yet a Hakko) will typically pull the pin from the hole when you desolder it.

#14 9 years ago

Bang it with the 808

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Heat up the joint and push the pin out with a toothpick. Also if the pin is straight a solder sucker (or better yet a Hakko) will typically pull the pin from the hole when you desolder it.

Toothpick worked. Wish I had a Hakko, my Radio Shack has to do for now. I ordered eyelets and the other tools from Mouser. Going to take care of the other corrosion issues in the meantime. Love the pinballrehab site. Lots of good stuff.

#16 9 years ago

That's easily fixable. Post back if you have any questions during your repair!

1 week later
    #17 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Got my Hakko set up. I'm ready for action!

image-207.jpgimage-207.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-it-be-saved and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.