(Topic ID: 228208)

Can I use two 5101 NVRAMs on a MPU200?

By oldschoolbob

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm working on a Flight 2000 MPU200. I'm only getting two flashes. I suspect one of the 5101's is bad (U8 or U13). I have several 5101's but I can't find two that match. I also have some new 5101 NVRAMs. Can I replace the 5101's (U8 and U13) with two new 5101 NVRAMs?

The board was repaired a few years ago. The corrosion was cleaned off and a remote battery was installed. So I'm pretty sure the board is fine.

Thanks

Bob

#2 5 years ago

Should work fine with 2x 5101 nvrams.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Ace.

Works fine now AND I can get rid of the remote battery.

Win - win

Bob

#4 5 years ago

There is a dual on this site that fits in both sockets. https://nvram.weebly.com

Then you get 2 more machines nvramed as well

#5 5 years ago

Thanks Cheddar, I knew those were available but I didn't have any here. I don't see many MPU200's but I think it would be a good idea to have one of those dual NVRAMs in stock.

Bob

#6 5 years ago

Tip On Removal Of MPU200 NVRAM
A few MPU200 designs out there using compact boards. Regardless of what brand you go with, you'll want to take care if you have to remove the nvram from the MPU. The two dual wipe sockets will hold onto the buggers with a lot more grip than if it was a single socket. Trying to remove the modules by hand when you can't get a good grip on them or prying too much at one side will likely result in bent pins. To safely remove, use leverage to your advantage..

Find a mechanical pencil, BIC pen or something plastic that won't mar the board (ie. don't use a flat-head screwdriver) and gently work it under the center of the nvram between U8 and U13 sockets. Work each side, back-and-forth, until the nvram is freed. You'll have far better control with leverage and working each side like this, than attempting to yank the nvram out of the sockets with your hands.

I went a different route that I never fully explained with the "original" Pinitech MPU200 NVRAM. Purposefully designed slightly larger to allow you to easily get a grip on the nvram and gently lift at opposing corners. You can actually grab the whole thing and rock it back and forth slightly side-to-side to free it. Just that extra bit of PCB gives some leverage and makes it easier to remove by-hand.

Enough people seem to use these things for testing purposes, so it's worth mentioning how to get the modules safely out without damaging the nvram or MPU. Amazing the force that it takes to remove something from two sockets versus just one. Use leverage & you'll be just fine! =)

#7 5 years ago

Thanks Ace. That's good to remember. I always have trouble removing and inserting IC's anyway.

Plus I often wondered if the sockets were a bit off it would be a nightmare inserting a double.

Something to consider.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 69.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-use-two-5101-nvrams-on-a-mpu200 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.