(Topic ID: 195540)

Can I use System 11 MPU in 11A game Pinbot??

By calico1997

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180621_100305 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GoneFishinLvMsg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

I will be attempting this mod to bring an F-14 back to life. The original MPU is in rough shape, but I have a spare out of a GL that is nearly perfect, at least cosmetically. This is my 4th System 11. Love them!

20180621_100305 (resized).jpg20180621_100305 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15 5 years ago

Question for the OP, or anyone else who might know...

I swapped the boards, but the F-14 won't boot up. Curiously enough, the GL board already had the mod to connector 1J18. It makes the start tone and lights the GI, but hangs there. The eight segment display does not show anything at all. I checked power and they are all good. My question is, will the 8 segment display work at all on a System 11 board that is installed in a System 11A game?

I ordered new ROMs in the meantime.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I dont think 11 will work in 11a, the others will be backwards compatible somewhat

The earlier posts on this thread indicate otherwise.

Quoted from wayout440:

Does the board boot up on the bench, out of the game?

I don't have any way to bench test it without buying more crap. I do have a GL that I could throw it into.

I installed new ROMs U26 and U27 and it still won't boot.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You don't need anything fancy, can't you borrow an old computer supply from someone?
The best power supply for your CPU is one of those switching video game power supplies, or an old computer power supply. You need to get +5 and +12 volts, and ground from the power supply. On computer power supplies most of time red = +5 volts, yellow = +12 volts, and black = ground.
Hook up the power supply to the CPU board using aligator clips. Here's the pinout for the power connector 1J17 on the CPU board.
Pins 1,2,3 = ground
Pins 4,5,6 = +5 volts DC
Pin 7 = key (not used)
Pin 8 = -12 volts DC (only used for audio, IGNORE)
Pins 9 = +12 volts DC
With the CPU on the workbench and issolated from the game, you can test the board much easier. Note the usage of -12 volts. You do not need that voltage to test the CPU board. It is only used for the audio section of the CPU board.

Thanks. I took the MPU out of my GL, did the mod, and got it to boot. The other two MPUs I have must be bad, so they'll go to Coin Op Cauldron. In the meantime, I'd like to get the F14 at least playable. The GI doesn't work, which doesn't surprise me because it didn't work in GL either (that game has other issues besides the MPU). Also, the ball feeder doesn't work. The coil is not being told to fire and there is a pretty good burn mark in the vicinity of the transistors. Also, one of them looks to have been replaced recently. Finally, the bottom two displays are out. Not sure if there's an easy fix for that and I don't have a spare because they are different from GL's. Everything else seems to work when I feed a ball by hand. Flippers and Yagov kicker are strong.

So it appears the Rottendog MPUs are no longer available. I'll have to fix my one partially working MPU if I want to play this pin anytime soon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GoneFishinLvMsg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-use-system-11-mpu-in-11a-game-pinbot?tu=GoneFishinLvMsg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.