(Topic ID: 174798)

Can I use 6M$M cab & head to build a Frontier?

By embryonjohn

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RoyGBev
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a fully populated Frontier playfield with all the mechs & wiring harness and a complete Six Million Dollar Man machine with all the boards, transformer and so on. Would their sizes and some of the components match? What am I up against? Is there a better route to take on this build up?

#3 7 years ago

the heads are not quite the same. you will likely make it work but it will never pass for the real thing.

look at the pics in the neck area .. frontier has hinges for example

#4 7 years ago

Forgot about the fold down head

#5 7 years ago

The hinges on the head are not the issue - the issue will be the backbox lamp/display board from 6M$M does not match up at all with Frontier. So that would need to be made from scratch so the displays would line up in the Frontier backglass. Everything else will work fine.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

The hinges on the head are not the issue - the issue will be the backbox lamp/display board from 6M$M does not match up at all with Frontier. So that would need to be made from scratch so the displays would line up in the Frontier backglass. Everything else will work fine.

What other machines would have the same head?

#7 7 years ago

Centaur, Fathom, Elektra, Flash Gordon, Medusa... Early Bally cabinets with a hinge.

#8 7 years ago

The hinges to make the head fold down would be trivial to add however.

#9 7 years ago

At some point the backbox thickness changed. My Centaur has a slightly shallower backbox than my 6M$M. Not a big deal but the Frontier paint stencil for the backbox would be too narrow.

Also Frontier uses a different sound board. You'll have to get that board, with the correct EPROM, then alter the wiring harness to make it work. Also: isn't Frontier a 7 digit game?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-use-6mm-cab-head-to-build-a-frontier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.