(Topic ID: 178199)

Can I use 12V led bulbs in 6.3V circuits?

By aerobert

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by aerobert
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've searched around but can't find a clear answer. Can I buy 12V led bulbs (from China for example), be it SMD or other types and confidently put them in 6.3V GI or insert socket?

Will the led bulbs light up, or does it need the rated 12V in order to work?

#2 7 years ago

They likely won't work correctly. The bulbs would expect a certain voltage, and the components inside are designed to expect that voltage.

#3 7 years ago

I suspected that. Just wanted to check if they would light up, but at half strength or something. It sounds it doesn't work that way at all.

#4 7 years ago

They likely won't do anything as there's insufficient voltage to charge the semiconductor. The LEDs only require 1.8 to 3.2 volts to operate, but to put them in a 12V circuit, they add resistors to each LED to bring the forward voltage down to the operating voltage for the LED.

#5 7 years ago

search this on ali express.

10PCS #Ba9s #44 #47 Bayonet AC 6V/6.3V 1206 3020

no clue if they are actually any good. I spent $3.50 to find out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-use-12v-led-bulbs-in-63v-circuits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.