(Topic ID: 253691)

Can i turn my Stern pro into a premium with a playfield swap???

By Dantesmark

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dantesmark
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E7D3D9D8-ADB4-4F4B-825D-AF95FFFD0C11 (resized).jpeg
    wptwof (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hi guys!
    A thought woke me up at 2am...
    I bought an early JP pro with a chip on the playfield upon unboxing. (Not to mention some pooling).
    No fear, Stern is sending me a fully populated playfield in the next couple weeks.
    My question is... if they will let me pay the difference, and upgrade to a premium playfield, will it work in my pro cab if i upgrade to premium code once its installed?

Seems like it should right? Unless the cpu is also different in the premium models...?

Anyone speak to this?

#2 4 years ago

Premium runs on a different board cpu I think.

#3 4 years ago

Nope. Pro/premium have same board.

#4 4 years ago

I can almost guarantee stern wont sell you a populated premium playfield.

#5 4 years ago

I maybe was thinking a proprietary chip for prem/ Le games vs pro. Kinda like domestic games vs, export voltages.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Premium runs on a different board cpu I think.

You can accidentally install the premium code on a pro and vice versa, so I don't think so

#7 4 years ago

The PF would not include the moving T-Rex mech on Premium and LE. I think there is a little more involved than just swapping Playfileds.

#8 4 years ago

Not sure, but I think it would work if they let you upgrade, but I don't think they are going to do that.

If you asked Stern, they would definitely be able to tell you if it would work.

#9 4 years ago

Not 100% sure, but I would bet that yes you can. That is assuming you loaded the premium code to your spike board and all node boards are present with the populated playfield. The spike system should update any node boards as necessary.

#10 4 years ago

Im friends w a stern coder... he said it will absolutely work.
    I will keep u posted on if they will let me upgrade.

#11 4 years ago

The cabinet boards should be identical. All the magic is done in the playfield node boards. As long as you load the right code it should work if the playfield has been switched

#12 4 years ago

Are both P/S the same capacity?

#13 4 years ago

I would be very surprised if Stern would allow you to purchase an upgraded playfield...

#14 4 years ago

Wouldn't the populated playfield be at least $2500 (retail portion) because it is where most of the labor in building a game is located?
    I don't expect Stern would want to do that.

#15 4 years ago

Im getting a pro populated free b/c of my playfield issues.
    Im just asking to pay the difference between the pro and prem.
    If a pro pf is $2500, and a prem pf is 3k... i will pay the extra 500 to get a premium.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

If a pro pf is $2500, and a prem pf is 3k... i will pay the extra 500 to get a premium.

In your situation I think they would at least make you pay close to the difference between a Pro and Premium NIB game (that is if they would do it which I doubt).

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

I suspect the populated Premium playfield would have a retail price of about $5000 if they sold them and the Pro would be about $3000.

Would the main wiring to the backbox be the same for the pro and premium?

#18 4 years ago

Dang.
    Pricey.
    If there was only a $750 difference, i would do it.

#19 4 years ago

Why not just sell your PRO and buy a PREMIUM?

#20 4 years ago

Maybe.

#21 4 years ago

Technically it's possible, but I don't think there's any chance Stern would let you do this unless you have some kind of deep connections within the company. And if they were to do it I would bet that the price difference would at least be the $1600 delta in the MSRP Between the two models. For one, your game's serial# which is located on the cabinet is registered as a Pro. I don't think they'd want to support some kind of Pro/Premium Frankenstein game. And if they let you do it it's going to open the door for others to do the same. Better off just to sell it and then buy a Premium.

#22 4 years ago

I think you should do it and keep this thread alive! it's the only interesting thing on pinside right now.

#23 4 years ago

Lol.
    Chaz said he’d never had any1 ask to do this, but def possible.
    Im waitn on pat from stern to gimme a shout back on a decision.

#24 4 years ago

Have you tried talking to your distributor about trading in the pro and upgrading to a premium? I've known people to do this.

#25 4 years ago

That will be my next step if this doesnt pan out.

#26 4 years ago

Its a great ask, but I doubt they'll do because they would then have to disclose the play field cost difference....

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Its a great ask, but I doubt they'll do because they would then have to disclose the play field cost difference....

Especially once they see there’s already a Pinside thread about it!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Especially once they see there’s already a Pinside thread about it!

Yep....he's better off getting the new play field, and try to sell the game as basically new...then pick up a nice HUO the premium at a discount...

#29 4 years ago

Totally possible. I know people who have built franken-sterns.

#30 4 years ago

So the idea is to get a premium for a few hundred more, while everyone else has to pay 2k?
    Maybe they can throw in an LE glass and plaque while you’re at it.
    And posting this thread has probably killed any chance you had in the first place.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

The plot thickens, I hope it will last.

#32 4 years ago

We will see.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yeah, I have one of these at home

wptwof (resized).jpgwptwof (resized).jpg
    #34 4 years ago

Thats cool!

3 weeks later
    #35 4 years ago

Anything ever come of this?

#36 4 years ago

Isn't the all the trim like rails,lockdown bar diff. on the Pre then pro too

#37 4 years ago

“We’ll let you pay for the premium
    playfield as long as you don’t post in the Pinside thread or let anyone know”

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Isn't the all the trim like rails,lockdown bar diff. on the Pre then pro too

Yes, or at least it was on the OG Stern SW. Presumably if he prefers the look of the Pro cabinet he's happy with the Pro trim. But if he wanted the Premium trim he could probably order that easily enough through a distributor once it's in stock (or just get his Pro stuff powder-coated to match). The real hurdle is that Stern just isn't likely to sell him a Premium playfield.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Yes, or at least it was on the OG Stern SW. Presumably if he prefers the look of the Pro cabinet he's happy with the Pro trim. But if he wanted the Premium trim he could probably order that easily enough through a distributor once it's in stock (or just get his Pro stuff powder-coated to match). The real hurdle is that Stern just isn't likely to sell him a Premium playfield.

Yea not sure if Stern would do that for him but you never know

#40 4 years ago

I'm actually surprised Stern hasn't offered this as an option. Business wise I think it makes sense if it's doable, which I believe it is as well. Think of all the people that would love to have ______ game but space is an issue. This is the whole premise behind the P3 as well. I know for one, I'd be a buyer if I could buy populated PF's and just do games swaps. Current state, I'd love to have a JP, BM66, Guardians and Elvira from the Spike games I don't own already. My hesitation is space vs the $$$ and I just can't bring myself to sell 3-4 of the games in my collection as I enjoy the ones I have so much.

They could even sell storage solutions. You could probably get 2 populated PF's stored under a single cabinet laying on their side in a small crate.

I have to wonder if the main reason they don't is just due to the liability concerns of the home user doing swaps on these heavy PF's. If something gets broken it's even more of a fight to get things replaced.

#41 4 years ago

Yea am sure Stern don't want people too do it this way because Pre are much more in money ,they would sell any Pre that are more in the long run wouldn't make sense for Stern

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

“We’ll let you pay for the premium
    playfield as long as you don’t post in the Pinside thread or let anyone know”

E7D3D9D8-ADB4-4F4B-825D-AF95FFFD0C11 (resized).jpegE7D3D9D8-ADB4-4F4B-825D-AF95FFFD0C11 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-turn-my-stern-pro-into-a-premium-with-a-playfield-swap?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.