(Topic ID: 280335)

Can I / should I dunk corroded lamp sockets in rustoleum?

By EvanDickson

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I've got a bunch of old lamp sockets that I'd like to clean up and have ready to reuse. Most are heavily corroded, would rustoleum take care of this? I know it is great for rust, but I'm not sure what the white corrosion that shows up on lamp sockets is, since it's not really rust. I'm also unsure if rustoleum would somehow dissolve the protective layer between the lugs, or cause a short across them if it chemically combines or anything like that.

#2 3 years ago

No, evaporust won't really do anything for the corrosion. Besides, liquids generally don't play well with the fiber spacer.

If the sockets are still usable, then you can clean them up with wire brush and sanding stick. However, if they're loose or otherwise unreliable, then it's usually better to replace them.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, evaporust won't really do anything for the corrosion. Besides, liquids generally don't play well with the fiber spacer.
    If the sockets are still usable, then you can clean them up with wire brush and sanding stick. However, if they're loose or otherwise unreliable, then it's usually better to replace them.

Sounds good, I'll clean the side slots with a round file and the inside bottom with a dremel and then test for performance, and just ignore the corrosion otherwise if they pass. Thanks forceflow!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-should-i-dunk-corroded-lamp-sockets-in-rustoleum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.