Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jeffro01
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210324_224943760 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210227_034208765 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210130_164028797 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_002422014 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_002047219 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210325_192641 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

If you look at my game room photos, you can see some of the cup holders I've made for my friend's pinball machines.

Can I sell these? Or, would there be an intellectual property problem?

If I can sell them, how much do you think I could sell them for?

TIA

IMG_20210325_192641 (resized).jpgIMG_20210325_192641 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_002047219 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_002047219 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_002422014 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_002422014 (resized).jpgPXL_20210130_164028797 (resized).jpgPXL_20210130_164028797 (resized).jpgPXL_20210227_034208765 (resized).jpgPXL_20210227_034208765 (resized).jpgPXL_20210324_224943760 (resized).jpgPXL_20210324_224943760 (resized).jpg
    #3 3 years ago

Very nice work! I’m sure the owners of those franchises would want to talk to you if you were to sell them to the general public.

#4 3 years ago

Not to be too sarcastic, and yes they are cool and a perfect addition for any themed pinball, but, if you go to market you will be opening yourself up to a lawsuit. Just remember, they have way more money than you do. That said, you could sell the IDEA to them. Then again, good luck as, they could just take the idea and run. If you are serious about this endeavor, hire a trademark attorney.

#5 3 years ago

You can also trade...collector to collector....

#6 3 years ago

Agree with all of the above. Tread carefully...

#7 3 years ago

Just do them without using the logo

So the South Park one for example just write something clever on the sign with the same design ...

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from PrintedPinball:

If you look at my game room photos, you can see some of the cup holders I've made for my friend's pinball machines.
    Can I sell these? Or, would there be an intellectual property problem?
    If I can sell them, how much do you think I could sell them for?
    TIA
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I may be going out on a limb here, but it appears that you just joined pinside today and you are playing with us.

....you just happened to have this amazing idea?!

(They’re nice tho)

C’mon....

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from EEE:

I may be going out on a limb here, but it appears that you just joined pinside today and you are playing with us.
    ....you just happened to have this amazing idea?!
    (They’re nice tho)
    C’mon....

I was never really into pinball, but my friend bought a couple of machines, and I started to enjoy it.

If I had the space, I'd probably have a machine by now.

I made him some cupholders and he suggested that I should sell them.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Just do them without using the logo
    So the South Park one for example just write something clever on the sign with the same design ...

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find a way to theme them with using the logos.

#10 3 years ago

I think a cease and desist letter would come before any litigation. There are various licensing arrangements from royalty per item to one time fee for use for contracted time period (of what little I know as a former musician). Be cautious, but these are great!

#11 3 years ago

If you have to ask......

#12 3 years ago

These are obviously based on the design on thingiverse so I hope you are the original designer or tip him/her well if you decide to sell.

I made some of these and the time, materials cost, printer wear etc were not even close to worth it for profit, only for fun.

The original design was too small for pint cups and they would split the weak ass 3d layering so, if you haven't, I would suggest increasing the diameter.

The brackets were weak as hell too and did not hold up on route until I designed extra material where the angle occurs in the bracket.

Also would suggest a hole in the bottom if they may be at bars or they will fill with stale beer.

I decided it was easier/ cheaper/ stronger to get pingulps and add a design (sticker or a thin 3d printed plaque treated in acetone bath).

And then I just kind of lost interest as they broke or got stolen.

Your designs are cool though- but I would just share with friends instead of a lot of work for not much money.

Good luck!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from PrintedPinball:

Or, would there be an intellectual property problem?

Yes. The logos are trademarked. And any non-original artwork would be copyrighted.

However, you should be able to sell the holders without the logos/artwork.

For the twister holder, if you removed the title and just left the tornado, and if the tornado wasn't copied from somewhere else, then that holder would probably be in the clear. (but, I'm not a laywer, so this shouldn't be taken as legal advice, so YMMV )

#14 3 years ago

It's just a pinball mod, make some and sell here or in the FB groups. Don't put them on Ebay and you'll be fine.

I'd consider buying them, the Wonka looks nice. The Twister looks great, but I don't have that one anymore. Guns N Roses would be a hot seller.

#15 3 years ago

I wouldn't sell them... I would sell pre-order spots for your limited run of sweet cup holders. Then after taking the money and blowing it, you disappear into Michigan.

#16 3 years ago

Looks like the bracket part of Twister is already cracked. You have to figure out how to make it stronger so the leg bolts to brake the bracket part.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I wouldn't sell them... I would sell pre-order spots for your limited run of sweet cup holders. Then after taking the money and blowing it, you disappear into Michigan.

Did something like this happen? Seems pretty specific.

It seems like the biggest problem would be durability. These were all printed with PLA+ which is not very durable or heat resistant. As far as I know, I don't have proper ventilation to print with other stronger materials. The bracket and TMNT inserts are 100% infill. The cups themselves and the thicker inserts are 30% cubic infill. 90% of the work is in the hand painting. I just checked, the TMNT one weighs one pound.

For now I'll just see how the ones I've already made hold up.

#18 3 years ago

You can give them away for free and charge $50.00 for shipping to get around legal copy rights.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Looks like the bracket part of Twister is already cracked. You have to figure out how to make it stronger so the leg bolts to brake the bracket part.

Good catch. I didn't notice. The layer lines do run right through the leg bolts. I did completely redesign the bracket for the TMNT one. I'll have to get someone to try it out to see if it holds up.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from bitternerd:

These are obviously based on the design on thingiverse so I hope you are the original designer or tip him/her well if you decide to sell.
    I made some of these and the time, materials cost, printer wear etc were not even close to worth it for profit, only for fun.
    The original design was too small for pint cups and they would split the weak ass 3d layering so, if you haven't, I would suggest increasing the diameter.
    The brackets were weak as hell too and did not hold up on route until I designed extra material where the angle occurs in the bracket.
    Also would suggest a hole in the bottom if they may be at bars or they will fill with stale beer.
    I decided it was easier/ cheaper/ stronger to get pingulps and add a design (sticker or a thin 3d printed plaque treated in acetone bath).
    And then I just kind of lost interest as they broke or got stolen.
    Your designs are cool though- but I would just share with friends instead of a lot of work for not much money.
    Good luck!

Agreed. These fit under the "just because I can make something doesn't mean I should". A molded beautiful pingulp that is close to unbreakable would cost maybe $10 and look awesome. Add a personal .25 cent decal to that product and your done. The cost and time to make these would be 10x the cost/time to make it worth your time.

#21 3 years ago

Is that South Park for sale?

Jeff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-sell-these-3d-printed-cupholders and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.