(Topic ID: 25666)

Can I replace P40 NE10L with P22NE10L transistors on X Men LE aux Board?

By pinaholic

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinaholic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

2 transistors are shorted on Tia
Al

#2 11 years ago

As a straight up replacement, no - the drain current is lower (22A vs 40A.)

viperrwk

#3 11 years ago

You can't. Order the proper transistors from say Marco.

#4 11 years ago

Just curious, can't you get a new Aux board from Stern under warranty?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 11 years ago

Further analysis:

The STP22NE10L is rated at 22amps, 100v.
The STP40NF10L is rated at 40 amps, 100v
If you have IRL540N as your 22NE10L replacements (this is what most vendors sell) these are rated at 26 amp, 100v.

It seems unlikely that stem is driving these resistors at full 100 amps. The fuses are what? 5-8amp? While your resistor is weaker than what was used, it may work. Also, in spiderman, stern drives the same doc ock magnet as used in wolverine with the 22NE10L from the main power driver board.

Swapping in either of these will probably get you up and running while you wait for stern to ship a replacement board. I'd try it.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Further analysis:
The STP22NE10L is rated at 22amps, 100v.
The STP40NF10L is rated at 40 amps, 100v
If you have IRL540N as your 22NE10L replacements (this is what most vendors sell) these are rated at 26 amp, 100v.
It seems unlikely that stem is driving these resistors at full 100 amps. The fuses are what? 5-8amp? While your resistor is weaker than what was used, it may work. Also, in spiderman, stern drives the same doc ock magnet as used in wolverine with the 22NE10L from the main power driver board.
Swapping in either of these will probably get you up and running while you wait for stern to ship a replacement board. I'd try it.

Does Stern require sending the old board back on a warranty replacement? If so, and he does the swap will he have problems?

viperrwk

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Does Stern require sending the old board back on a warranty replacement? If so, and he does the swap will he have problems?
viperrwk

They want your board back. But, they send you your board first and don't take a credit card or anything. We have three total boards from pdxmonkeys two replacements. Feel free to hack it up as you want.

#8 11 years ago

I've redone the DE magnet board (which suffers from similar issues) and this one looks to be nearly identical in design.

Anyone want to be a new product tester and send me their bad aux board?

Tony

#9 11 years ago

I'm sending the aux board with 2 bad transistors back to Stern and Asking them to overnight a replacement. The heat sinks made it a tough job. Thanks guys! Your help seems better than Stern's.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-replace-p40-ne10l-with-p22ne10l-transistors-on-x-men-le-aux-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.