(Topic ID: 133277)

Can I repair Data East displays for Simpsons?

By Shenanigander

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

014.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Got the machine recently. Still folded up. When I picked it up I did reseat the display cables and that did not fix anything. The displays show minor signs of life. Some glitchy vague stuff. Can these be repaired?

If they are outgassed I guess regassing them it not a viable option. If they are not outgassed then what tests/repairs can I do?

#3 8 years ago

Anyone?

#4 8 years ago

Start with measuring the voltages going to the displays to know if they are in spec first.

If they are outgassing, then you can move to a LED display and sell the original display as parts.

#5 8 years ago

Agreed ..check voltages....... More specifically...I would check the 39k ohm resistors on the power supply as they are known weak spots in these and system 11 games. If they are out of spec .....replace with a 1 or 2 watt flame proof version and I will bet the displays will work just fine

#6 8 years ago

Yes, they can be repaired.
Read the DMD repair section on this site:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

Yes, they can be repaired.
Read the DMD repair section on this site:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm

...But then scroll down to the "Alpha-Numeric Display Problems" Section as your DE Simpsons uses a 2-line Alpha-Numeric display.

#8 8 years ago

Found the section thanks!

#9 8 years ago

Replace the two resistors they mention as I have had two displays I have repaired that looked like an outgassed display (garbage,blurry,etc.) but the two resistore fixed them up nice and clean.

#10 8 years ago

yup thats the first thing I asked him to check after voltages. They are undersized and need to be 1 or 2 watt 39kohm.

#11 8 years ago

Sweet that is promising!

#12 8 years ago

So voltages test fine and the two resistors test fine. (my friend is fixing the machine) Should I have him replace the two resistors anyways?

#13 8 years ago

It wouldn't hurt

#14 8 years ago

yes. They are undersized for the job they need to do and are VERY tired and old.. Put flame proof 1 or 2 watt versions in. And then retry the display. Sometimes it just helps, even though they 'meter' fine

#15 8 years ago

ok will do thanks! Also several of these pins have come off and solder will not make them stick in place. They pop back off. Any suggestions?

014.jpg014.jpg

#16 8 years ago

hmmm thats a tough one. Tricky to do... You can carefully bend the metal so it rests against the glass again and solder it up...OR use conductive paste epoxy to cold weld them back in place.
But it is a tough thing to fix. Sometimes you can grind/chip a little of the glass away and solder a jumper there. You can also use standard metal tie wire to extend the legs to give you more to play with.
I have had the best luck with a minor bend and solder and worst case also using jumper wire.

#17 8 years ago

Ok great thanks. Will try!

#18 8 years ago

new resistors installed and nothing. so does that mean they are outgassed?

#19 8 years ago

if the voltage readings are good and strong. then yes it is outgassed and no good anymore. Pick up an Xpin LED display and do not look back. Looks better than factory

#20 8 years ago

Ordered

#21 8 years ago

Good Job. you will not regret it. Brett at Xpin is a great guy and stands behind his products. Once you see how good it looks you will want them for every game.

#22 8 years ago

Actually I got the rottondog one. Was 150usd free shipping to a friend in the USA. Meeting him at replayfx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-repair-data-east-displays-for-simpsons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.