(Topic ID: 226075)

Can I put multiple stern codes on same USB

By MaxPinball

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

can I put new code files on the same usb stick and use it to update games? Dealing with mostly the newer files, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, GOTG, etc.

#2 5 years ago

I was wrong, see below

#3 5 years ago

yeah, i want to add put multiple games on one stick... so I don't have to carry around 5 different usb sticks.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from MaxPinball:

yeah, i want to add put multiple games on one stick... so I don't have to carry around 5 different usb sticks.

I have never actually tried it, but they tell you the stick has to only contain the files for the game...no idea what would happen if you actually tried it; probably just sit there doing nothing.

Only one way to find out

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from MaxPinball:

can I put new code files on the same usb stick and use it to update games?

Yes I do it all the time, the only problem you may run into is if you accidentally install the wrong code on a machine...I know I put GOTG on the wrong machine once (Star Wars maybe, I don't recall)...about 10 - 20 seconds into my play test I said " Wait a minute..."

When you boot the machine with the USB stick in, there will be an option to choose what code you are installing.

EDIT: This obviously will not work for a FULL install on a Jersey Jack or CGC pinball as the stick is formatted to boot into a linux OS.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yes I do it all the time,

Nice. Save me a little time next go around.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yes I do it all the time, the only problem you may run into is if you accidentally install the wrong code on a machine...

FWIW, I have had problems on SAM games using a drive over 8GB. I'm pretty sure, for whatever reason, when I used a 16GB drive it caused the install to fail.
    I used a 32 GB stick on a Spike game and had no issues...

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from buffaloatx:

FWIW, I have had problems on SAM games using a drive over 8GB. I'm pretty sure, for whatever reason, when I used a 16GB drive it caused the install to fail.

I've heard this from more than one person, I don't know why this is. I use a cheapo SanDisk Ultra 32GB drive I picked up from Walmart for <$20 and it just works with everything. Except for Batman 66, that machine always locks up at a random point on the first try, but completes fine every time on the second...that's a weird one.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

(Stern back box key and quick release key chain not included)

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

(Stern back box key and quick release key chain not included)

I'll trade you a tasty beer for the quick release...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-put-multiple-stern-codes-on-same-usb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.