(Topic ID: 163750)

Can I put a newer stern 4 pin power connector DMD into a gottlieb?

By ElectricCircuit

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Benhurr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I purchased a newer stern dmd not realizing it until it arrived. Can I install this into a gottlieb? It's one out of a Metallica or Star Trek with the red filter. Also if I can install it will it look proper without the filter? It's for sadly a street fighter II which wouldn't look right imo with the red filter. For some odd reason the location this pin is at they love the SFII and won't play any other pin I put in there even half as much. Lol. Thanks

#3 7 years ago

If it's a glass display, yes. If it's a new LED display, I haven't seen anyone attempt it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the first to try unless you have a good idea of what all the pinouts are and how they match up in the game.

#4 7 years ago

This isn't rocket science. There are two connections on the DMD. Power and video. The video cable is the same in all DMDs. The power is what's different. The power on the 4 pin connector is 2 +5v and 2 grounds. Simply power the DMD with stable 5v DC and ground and you're good to go.

#5 7 years ago

Yup what he said. Pretty easy to do, you can even use the same connector, just pull out the 12v line and make sure you plug it in with the 5v and ground in the correct place.

1 year later
    #6 5 years ago

I've try it with a new led display powered in 5v by using the 5v on the old DMD power connector and it works well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-put-a-newer-stern-4-pin-power-connector-dmd-into-a-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.