Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dooskie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

paypal (resized).jpg
    gay-occupation. (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    Krv6QQM (resized).jpg
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

Guy wants to send me money via friends and family. Asked for my PayPal email. I've sent money this way but can I get scammed receiving it? Never met the guy so seems odd he just send me money. Where would money go anyway. What say you? Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

A crook could claim you never sent the item he bought, he complains to Paypal, they go after you.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Gut feeling to me is important, but you can protect yourself, with receipts, delivery confirmation, photos etc.

Also. if you drain the funds from paypal, you can ask your bank to Block paypal and anyone else from an automatic withdrawal.
    A simple phone call complaint would not then result in funds seized back from a linked bank account.
    Get that in writing too.

#4 7 years ago

I struggle with PayPal and have never used it. I feel safer sending a check, at least I can go to my local bank to contest it.

#5 7 years ago

So got a reply off of mr pinball for a pin. End up making phone contact after bunch of emails. Seems like nice guy haggle some seems to know his shit about pinball. Finally makes offer and I except but offer entails meeting him half way. I accept and he hits me back can he pay via PayPal cuz he's in hospital and his brother n law will meet me and can't get funds to him....am I paranoid or something up?

#6 7 years ago

For small amounts, it's fine. If you get stiffed, then you're not out a whole lot. Just post a warning about the individual so others know about him when they do a quick search.

If you're selling a game or something, then paypal is not the wisest course.

Recommended reading: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide/

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

So got a reply off of mr pinball for a pin. End up making phone contact after bunch of emails. Seems like nice guy haggle some seems to know his shit about pinball. Finally makes offer and I except but offer entails meeting him half way. I accept and he hits me back can he pay via PayPal cuz he's in hospital and his brother n law will meet me and can't get funds to him....am I paranoid or something up?

As soon as there is a complicated story involved, I tend to suspect a scam of some sort.

If someone can make the time to pick up the item/game, they can make time to make a withdrawl.

#8 7 years ago

Second that.....if someone wants it bad enough, CASH.

Mr Pinball, Craigslist, and the response you have received.....Im with Adam....Id say fishy, and pass other than cash, in person, after inspection.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Sounds fishy to me.....

#10 7 years ago

Well IF it's sent via friends and family PayPal does not warranty those payments. If he filed a claim PayPal would say sorry no go, however he can always file a chargeback if he pays with a credit card.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Run. Do not look back. Run faster.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I accept and he hits me back can he pay via PayPal cuz he's in hospital and his brother n law will meet me and can't get funds to him....am I paranoid or something up?

When you are sick in the hospital, the last thing you are doing is shopping for an expensive pin.

Even if he friends and family paypals you the money, he can do a chargeback 90 days latter through his creditcard company.

Scam 100%

#13 7 years ago

Run like everyone else stated.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Well IF it's sent via friends and family PayPal does not warranty those payments. If he filed a claim PayPal would say sorry no go, however he can always file a chargeback if he pays with a credit card.

He says he won't use credit card, linked bank account...all he wants from me is my PayPal email to send payment in full then his brother n law drives to meet me to pick up.

#15 7 years ago

If he is using funds from a linked bank account, he should be able to have brother in law deliver cash.

I got burned years back on a Star Wars video arcade upright I sold via eBay (20yrs ago). Shipped it to Oregon or somewhere via Forward Air. Buyer reported to PayPal that it wasn't working when he received it. PayPal reversed $750 out of my account... PayPal chargebacks can suck.

#16 7 years ago

Krv6QQM (resized).jpgKrv6QQM (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

I have taken deposits to hold games via PayPal but never took the full amount. Accept like $100 but request the rest as cash on pick up. I have a debit card linked to my paypal; I can pull $ from ATMs.

#18 7 years ago

As a post in almost all PayPal threads, I had a situation where I was selling a backglass and the Buyer offered to pay with PayPal as a gift. He then backed out of the deal after paying and he notified PayPal when I wouldn't refund his money. He then falsely claimed that I forced him to pay as a gift. PayPal deducted the money out of my account and sided with him. Then they sent me an email threatening my account for accepting PayPal gift payments. In the end, I won because I read the PayPal terms and conditions (T&Cs) and discovered that all claims can be settled via arbitration. Arbitration is VERY expensive (almost $1,000) and the PayPal T&Cs indicates PayPal will pay the arbitration fees (if requested). When I sent PayPal a letter stating I wanted them to pay the $1000 arbitration fees, they refunded me the money for the backglass and I kept the backglass. ANYTIME PAYPAL TAKES MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT, SEND THEM A LETTER THAT YOU WANT ARBITRATION AND YOU WANT THEM TO PAY THE ARBITRATION FEES. Read the Terms and Conditions!!!!!

#19 7 years ago

I don't like the story...walk away
    Mike

#20 7 years ago

I wouldn't accept it if I were you. I've helped clients battle PayPal before. One guy ordered services, did a dispute with PayPal, he lost, then a few weeks later we had to go through it again because he had his CC company do a chargeback. We won again but it was not worth the headache in the long run. I feel like PayPal is used by people who want an "out" down the road if they're not completely happy, or just flat out use it to scam people since they can claim whatever. It's too risky for the seller and service provider. I wouldn't accept it in this situation.

#21 7 years ago

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Run. Do not look back. Run faster.

As most have stated, move on and don't look back.

#23 7 years ago

paypal is fine, that story sounds fake as hell though...I'd skip it.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

his brother n law drives to meet me to pick up.

No problem, his brother in law can bring cash when he picks it up.

LTG : )

#25 7 years ago

Yes you can get scammed, that's all you need to know. Don't do it!

#26 7 years ago

He his brother in law can't bring cash, NO WAY!!!

#27 7 years ago

Basically a buyer would tell you (the seller) that by paying via Friends & Family it would forfeit the Buyer Protection provided by PayPal. This is TRUE. This means if they receive the Pin and they are unhappy they can't do anything. Friends & Family waives the 30 cents per transaction charge and 2.9% of total amount transferred fee. It is literally an option to send money to a friend or family member in need.

However they can still "scam" you by contacting PayPal with an unauthorized charge claim.

PayPal IMMEDIATELY removes the amount from your PayPal account. Meaning it will hit your bank or credit card on file for the amount in question if your PayPal balance is $0.

They will then do an investigation which typically takes up to 90 days.

I believe the buyer has up to 6 months to submit an unauthorized charge claim.

I wanted to be thorough in case someone in the future finds this post looking for similar info.

DO NOT DO IT!

#28 7 years ago

Tell him cash only... Unless you REALLY need this sale to go through and can't wait for the next buyer.

It sounds like the scam where he sends you the money on Paypal, but then backs out of the deal (I'd guess health issues since he's in the hospital) and asks you to send the money to a different account (his). Then the original payment will turn out to be some old lady who thought they were helping a Nigerian Prince pay for a billion dollars in gold that's being held by customs, and she'll get 10% if........... Essentially a way to launder money. When I was renting out an apartment in Toronto, people attempted this at least a half dozen times over 3 years. Each time it sounded very legit, and they haggled the price etc.

so if you do need the sale to go through, and it turns out that it is this scam, then they have no intention of ever taking the Pin. Based on that you can accept "his" money and if he does try and back out before he picks it up, just tell him there is no way you will send the money back to anyone other than the account it came from.... but again... only if you really need to get this deal done.

Or... just take 20% of the sale price by paypal to hold the pin until he gets out of the hospital and can get you cash.

#29 7 years ago

If he can PayPal the money to you, he can do it for the brother-in-law too! Educational thread -- cash is king!

#30 7 years ago

I say no way to that BS story. Cash only man!

#31 7 years ago

Scam scam scam. Some moron will fall for this. Don't be that moron.

#32 7 years ago

Thanks guys I cut off contact even though he keeps trying. Thanks for the good advice.

#33 7 years ago

Some people insist on using PayPal as they can use a credit card to pay you. But in this case tell him to PayPal the money to his brother-in-law and then his brother-in-law can pay you in cash! Like everyone else is stating .... this seems to be a fraud! Anytime someone is insisting on a specific way to pay ..... be skeptic!

#34 7 years ago

It's unfortunate what people do to other people... Glad they didn't get you.

#35 7 years ago

Scam. Nuff said. If he can send his brother-in-law to pick the game up he can certainly send him WITH CASH.

#36 7 years ago

Don't do it.

#37 7 years ago

When you sell your pin's it should always be cash!

#38 7 years ago

Well it's me that made the offer and yes my story is true. I had a scheduled procedure that was supposed have been same day but my stay got exstended. So many so quick to judge amazing.

I have been In this hobby since 2001. I started at RGP as pinsgonewild then came here. I have bought and sold many games throughout the years and have used PayPal in many of the deals buying and selling and NEVER had an issue!

Have faith in your fellow man (may not be politically correct there) As I tell my 9 years old daughter there is more good in the world than bad.

Don

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

So many so quick to judge amazing.

You don't use 'friends and family' to make purchases. That's dishonest right there.

Rob

#40 7 years ago

You are correct was trying make the seller comfortable with a non refundable sale.

Tom if you want to send me a PayPal invoice I would be happy to proceed that way and I'll pickup the fees.

Don

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

He says he won't use credit card, linked bank account...all he wants from me is my PayPal email to send payment in full then his brother n law drives to meet me to pick up.

Just tell him you are not comfortable with that. Instead ask that he writes a check to his brother in law for the amount. Have his brother in law cash it and bring you the money when you meet. If he is not down for that then move on.

The seller is posting and seems fine but at the end of the day only accept payments that you are comfortable with.

#42 7 years ago

If we had been told that the buyer was a longtime Pinside member that context might have coloured people's response...

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Well it's me that made the offer and yes my story is true. I had a scheduled procedure that was supposed have been same day but my stay got exstended. So many so quick to judge amazing.
    I have been In this hobby since 2001. I started at RGP as pinsgonewild then came here. I have bought and sold many games throughout the years and have used PayPal in many of the deals buying and selling and NEVER had an issue!
    Have faith in your fellow man (may not be politically correct there) As I tell my 9 years old daughter there is more good in the world than bad.
    Don

Well stop using PayPus - it is a shifty way to pay and a VERY long way from being safe.

I don't blame most on this thread for being wary - read and learn just how bad PayPus is.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

You are correct was trying make the seller comfortable with a non refundable sale.
    Tom if you want to send me a PayPal invoice I would be happy to proceed that way and I'll pickup the fees.
    Don

Hi Don,

I'm assuming you don't have cash. Couldn't you use F&F PP and send payment to your brother. Then he could transfer funds to his bank and withdrawal cash.

I've sold thousands of items on eBay and although you never had a problem with PP it can be a nightmare for sellers.

Amazing that people are so quick to judge? You do realize one of the most popular pinball designers scammed people for millions?

Smart people are cautious in the world. It's not 2001 anymore.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

When I sent PayPal a letter stating I wanted them to pay the $1000 arbitration fees, they refunded me the money for the backglass and I kept the backglass.

Apparently you can get scammed with Paypal; sounds like somebody paid you for a backglass and never got it.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

I have bought and sold many games throughout the years and have used PayPal in many of the deals buying and selling and NEVER had an issue!

Just get the money out of PayPal and turn it into cash if you're serious and this isn't a scam. What's so hard about that? It takes a few extra days. You say you've used it before, there's good people in the world, I get that but unfortunately it's better to be safe than sorry anymore in today's world.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

If we had been told that the buyer was a longtime Pinside member that context might have coloured people's response...

Never told me he was a pinsider, first I'm hearing of it. If you are for real don, sorry but got to admit story did sound fishy.

#48 7 years ago

Like everyone says he could transfer the money to his brother then his brother could easily bring cash.

#49 7 years ago

I once offered to pay for a pinball machine using an e-transfer from my bank. The seller refused because it would have required giving out his e-mail. I was actually offended at first but I got over it - and I came back a day later with cash.

#50 7 years ago

It absolutely disgusts me when buyers or sellers ask or demand using friends and family to purchase goods or services, thinking they are "saving money". This isn't shopping for the best price on a flat screen TV. This is downright theft. Paypal provides a service and I am happy to pay them for that service. How would you like it if you went to work and your boss said, "we found a guy that is willing to do your job for free, so, in order to save money, we're not going to pay you anymore"? No matter what form of payment is used in any transaction, there will always be scammers that have figured out a new angle. Yes, even cash. Counterfeit cash or robbing at gunpoint. With all that said, on a high dollar pick up in person deal, cash is still king.

While we're on the subject of fees, here's something many people may not consider. Retailers base their prices on the asumption that a credit or debit card will be used for the transaction. Yes, that's right. When you buy a 6 pack of beer, you are paying the 3% fee, even if you pay with cash. In the business world, ALL expenses are calculated into the price to arrive at the necessary profit margin.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-get-scammed-paypal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.