(Topic ID: 160705)

Can I do anything with the info I have from a CL scammer?

By cosmokramer

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160711_151628_(resized).jpg
    CMpQFiKUAAACSBC_(resized).jpg
    2016-05-25-17-27-06--1905075603_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_7.42.47_PM_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160525-165919_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160525-165241_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160524-140615_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160524-140209_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160523-094910_(resized).png
    20160525_103053_(resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I have been stringing along a scammer for about a week now...he thinks I'm on my way to western union right now to send him the excess money he accidentaly sent me via a check...we agreed on a price of 375. The check was for 1,373.
    As I am about to tell him to F off with a few clever memes and a strongly worded text, I am wondering if I should turn over the bogus info to law enforcement or if its just a waste of time.
    I added his check made out to a fake name I gave him on my wall of scammer checks in my office...
    He gave me 2 names and 2 bank #s, what should I do with it?

20160525_103053_(resized).jpg20160525_103053_(resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20160523-094910_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160523-094910_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160524-140209_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160524-140209_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160524-140615_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160524-140615_(resized).png

Screenshot_20160525-165241_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160525-165241_(resized).png

Screenshot_20160525-165919_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160525-165919_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

sounds completely legit to me....

#3 7 years ago

Did you try to contact Police? I think FBI gets involved in matters like this. To bad you don't know anybody in GA that could meet up with the scumbag when he goes to Walmart to collect.

#4 7 years ago

I would tell him you didn't have enough in your bank account to send but will soon. Then notify the police. It might be a wast of time but then again. You might save some sucker down the road.

#5 7 years ago

See 419eater.com forums for the best advice. I say it's not worth contacting law enforcement. Even if there is a real person in GA they're just a mule being scammed too. Worth looking them up and letting them know.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have been stringing along a scammer for about a week now...he thinks I'm on my way to western union right now to send him the excess money he accidentaly sent me via a check...we agreed on a price of 375. The check was for 1,373.
    As I am about to tell him to F off with a few clever memes and a strongly worded text, I am wondering if I should turn over the bogus info to law enforcement or if its just a waste of time.
    I added his check made out to a fake name I gave him on my wall of scammer checks in my office...
    He gave me 2 names and 2 bank #s, what should I do with it?

Dang Cosmo you have all the fun. Wait a day or 2 then contact him again and tell him your in the hospital cuz you got robbed and shot going into the Western Union with his cash.

#7 7 years ago

Contacting police now...not expecting them to spring into action but at least I made an attempt.

I have done this before, for some reason I enjoy screwing with them and see how persistant they are. This guy has been waiting for 5 days and I keep coming up with excuses not to send the money. They know they have to close the deal before the funds are found to be fraudulent. This guy has the best english of them so far. I have a collection of checks from them and I really cant believe people fall for this crap.

#8 7 years ago

The guy is out of country... Local police won't do anything. Perhaps Mulder and Scully will take the case?

#9 7 years ago

Play him as long as you can. Might as well have a little fun. The dog ate the check send another, my rich Nigerian uncle just died. You get the idea. Come on people we need good ideas.

#10 7 years ago

Says "Official" on it, so it must be..... Official.

#11 7 years ago

Unfortunately... Cheque is spelt wrong. But still... Official.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from PureTO:

The guy is out of country...

Of course.... interestingly enought this guy speaks (texts) perfect english and the phone # has my area code

#13 7 years ago

Spoof a phone number is easy enough.

Think these guys work outta the same hut as the guys who call from Microsoft cause u have a virus. Straight outta Pakistan.

#14 7 years ago

LOL sad part is how many would fall for this scam. I would turn the account over to the Feds. Most likely not even in the US and tracking would be rough. I would tell him that Western Union needs a physical address to send cash. Then do a address search on google earth just to see what pulls up. Also, due to the new fraud alerts Western Union has advised you to ask for a copy of his drivers license before sending any money. You most likely won't very hear from him again.

#15 7 years ago

I know you have his address (supposedly) but it might throw him off his scammers game...

Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_7.42.47_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_7.42.47_PM_(resized).png

#16 7 years ago

Funny - I was playing with one last week as well. When they asked where to send the money I provided the following:

"Jimmy is the person on this end who can make it work:

James Comey
    935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20535
    202-324-3000
    "

As if I'm on first name basis with the director of the FBI (the address is their headquarters - the Hoover building)!!! This week they re-engaged saying the check should be there now. I've just been ignoring them but am tempted to tell them to call Jimmy and see if he has it yet.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#17 7 years ago

If it's been a few days since you received the 'check' - I would call him out. Tell him your bank called and wants the money as the check is bad. That usually will get them to go silent. If not, ask them to transfer from the BoA account to cover your losses... so maybe they will send another check??

Just wondering if the 'movers' ever showed up?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from cpu-slave:

If it's been a few days since you received the 'check' - I would call him out. Tell him your bank called and wants the money as the check is bad. That usually will get them to go silent. If not, ask them to transfer from the BoA account to cover your losses... so maybe they will send another check??
    Just wondering if the 'movers' ever showed up?

This guy has been in touch every day...paid flate rate envelope and provided me tracking. Text me the moment the check was delivered and has been relentlessly on my ass...there are multiple pages of texts not shown here(at some point you can see I had to store him as a contact "douchebag scammer" )...
    My wife wonders why I waste my time...

#19 7 years ago

Hey Cosmo - was your check made out to the world-famous New York matador, 'Eduardo Corrochio?'

I knew him through my friends, Ramon (also the local pool guy...) and Bob Sacamano.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Hey Cosmo - was your check made out to the world-famous New York matador, 'Eduardo Corrochio?'
    I knew him through my friends, Ramon (also the local pool guy...) and Bob Sacamano.

2016-05-25-17-27-06--1905075603_(resized).jpg2016-05-25-17-27-06--1905075603_(resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

Becaus

Quoted from cosmokramer:This guy has been in touch every day...paid flate rate envelope and provided me tracking. Text me the moment the check was delivered and has been relentlessly on my ass...there are multiple pages of texts not shown here(at some point you can see I had to store him as a contact "douchebag scammer" )...
    My wife wonders why I waste my time...

Because it is so much fun to screw with them, ever see the guys page who made them take pictures of themselves holding up signs saying things like ilovesmallboys, monkeyfuc***, he had hundreds of them posted.

I played with one for a week, knowing of course it was a scam, wanted to see how the Russian girl was going to try to get me for money, finally it responded with a "crashed my grandmothers car, have no insurance, need 895 or I cannot come see you" So having fun, I responded well, that is a shame.. then got the maybe you could help me, I said how can I help you, if you send me the money I can come see you... then I unloaded on it, telling it I knew the whole time exactly what it was doing.. it was funny as hell.

Try this, ask for his address and tell him you need to send him a check back, then get some crayons and make a check out to him on a blank page, make it payable to douche bag scammer. Draw a little hand in the memo section giving him the finger!

#22 7 years ago
    #23 7 years ago
    Quoted from PureTO:

Unfortunately... Cheque is spelt wrong. But still... Official.

In some parts of the world this is the correct spelling.

#24 7 years ago

Can you get another check made out to Art Vanda lay?

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Can you get another check made out to Art Vanda lay?

I have a David Puddy check...

#26 7 years ago

I really hope the cops (in ALL countries) start taking this stuff seriously. It seems odd to me that they can find a "kiddy fiddler" but not someone who scams $1M.

It proves they CAN track them down if they have the will.

#27 7 years ago

You're not giving him your real address to send the check to, are you?

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

No, I have a box in a mail box etc

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I really hope the cops (in ALL countries) start taking this stuff seriously. It seems odd to me that they can find a "kiddy fiddler" but not someone who scams $1M.
    It proves they CAN track them down if they have the will.

They could track down anybody and tell you what they had for breakfast if the right person wanted to know.

#30 7 years ago

I would think you should contact the US Postal Service....This is mail fraud.

#31 7 years ago

Tell him that you totally screwed up and by a remarkable coincidence, you made a cashiers check for $1600 instead of $1300 and ask if he could wire you $300 now. Then you could send the $1600 cashiers check... Fill in the numbers any way you want...

#32 7 years ago

Just tell him that the bank called you and said the check/money order did not go through, (they are investigated a possible fraud), and that he has to make other payment arrangements now as the bank will not give you the funds.....and you are now in a hurry.., and feel sorry for his movers having to wait....I'm sure he will soon disappear...

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

As if I'm on first name basis with the director of the FBI (the address is their headquarters - the Hoover building)!!

I usually have the checks sent to a police station. I know they will never be investigated, but it is fun. Next time I'll use the FBI address.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I would think you should contact the US Postal Service....This is mail fraud.

They won't do anything. I have a big time mail thief I'm dealing with. Called the Postal Inspectors and gave them police report #s, excellence video and stills of the perps face etc....never a response. Local police seem like they're too bothered to investigate...and never followed up by sharing the info with other officers to identify. I had to hire a separate security company to assist. Oh well.

#35 7 years ago

I have all my checks framed on display.....Max Badazz, I.P. Freely, Hugh Jass, and of course Jack Schitt. There's a good 20+ checks worth around 250k. I even had them take a photo with a funny saying. After a while it got too easy and I stopped. Easiest way to get them to go away is say the bank flagged the check as bogus....you won't hear from them again

#36 7 years ago

Love this and love the name you have set up for him on your phone.

#37 7 years ago

I end my responses at the end with "God is watching you, and you will pay for your sins".. Someone told me that freaks them out, and it does seem to as not once did they ever respond again.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

They won't do anything. I have a big time mail thief I'm dealing with. Called the Postal Inspectors and gave them police report #s, excellence video and stills of the perps face etc....never a response. Local police seem like they're too bothered to investigate...and never followed up by sharing the info with other officers to identify. I had to hire a separate security company to assist. Oh well.

You need to instead take it to your local news station - they'd be more than happy to help you out since you have video.

#39 7 years ago

CMpQFiKUAAACSBC_(resized).jpgCMpQFiKUAAACSBC_(resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

I often wonder how the scam worked, now I know. I always stopped at I will mail you a check and my movers will come pick it up. My standard response is send cash with your movers as I don't take checks and then it stops I don't hear from them anymore on my item.

#41 7 years ago

I'm curious as to how you have so many scammers email you. Are they responding to pinball machine for sale ads on CL? Do you ever initiate the conversation?

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I'm curious as to how you have so many scammers email you. Are they responding to pinball machine for sale ads on CL? Do you ever initiate the conversation?

Actually, there are lists out there that get bought and sold every day. If a person responds and they get figured for a soft touch, the scammer will immediately sell the contact so their buddy can go after them before they figure out they have been had. Once on a list, the name/email/etc. is perpetually circulated.

#43 7 years ago

I have an ad on CL constantly running:

Expensive stuff for sale!

I ship anywhere!

Checks welcome!

I'm honest. If you overpay me, I'll refund the difference, FAST!

God Bless!

#44 7 years ago

I personally wouldn't waste my time dealing with scammers as I can see no satisfaction gained.

Similar to spending a lot of time on pinside.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I sell a lot of different stuff on craigslist from storage unit auctions...I would never initiate a conversation...it just amazes me how many world travelers shop on CL and always have a "agent" standing buy in my neighborhood to pick up an "item".
    Regards
    God bless

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I personally wouldn't waste my time dealing with scammers as I can see no satisfaction .

Im easily amused....

#47 7 years ago

Since it sounds like you have started a wall of checks from them you have to collect all of the shows names, Mr Peterson, Soup Nazi and so on.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

Plenty of people who play this game do. It's funny until you f with the wrong person.

1 month later
    #49 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

Since it sounds like you have started a wall of checks from them you have to collect all of the shows names, Mr Peterson, Soup Nazi and so on.

Added a Bob Sacamano today...

20160711_151628_(resized).jpg20160711_151628_(resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-do-anything-with-the-info-i-have-from-a-cl-scammer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.