(Topic ID: 243849)

Can I do anything to these bulbs to let them run on 12v?

By harryhoudini

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 10 months ago

I assume there is some sort of resistor I can add to one of the legs of this bulb to allow it to run on 12v? Or some other modification I can make?

https://pinballbulbs.com/products/super-spotlight-555-purple-pinball-led

My other option is a step down transformer to change the light supply voltage, but I'm hoping not to do that.

#2 10 months ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

I assume there is some sort of resistor I can add to one of the legs of this bulb to allow it to run on 12v? Or some other modification I can make?
    https://pinballbulbs.com/products/super-spotlight-555-purple-pinball-led
    My other option is a step down transformer to change the light supply voltage, but I'm hoping not to do that.

You do not want to use a flasher? Correct voltage.

https://pinballbulbs.com/products/flasher-906-purple-flat-top-pinball-led

#3 10 months ago

Here are some...
    search this on ebay

555 4 smd purple led

555 purple led

Comet his some 12v purple if memory serves.....

#4 10 months ago

I want to use this specific bulb.

#5 10 months ago

It's usually a better idea to use a bulb appropriate for the voltage.

What is the purpose of this bulb--is it a flasher like we're assuming? Or is it a spotlight?

A T10 12v automotive bulb might be an option for a spotlight. They come in all colors.

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

I want to use this specific bulb.

Why? There might be better solutions if it doesn’t need to be this one.

#7 10 months ago

I suspect its for a JJP spotlight??

#8 10 months ago

Splice inline voltage step down board....???

pasted_image (resized).png
    #9 10 months ago

Yeah, JJP spots... I have many bulb options but I happen to like the brightness and color of these. The lighting hue they produce is unlike any of the other purple bulbs I have, even from the same company. In my old WOZ they used a 6v system for the additional spots but I hooked up to 12v to keep consistent across all spots. Then I realized none of the bulbs I had for 12v are dim enough (yeah, all 12v flasher bulbs are bright!) nor have the color temp I want/like. I know my main option is a stepdown transformer, which is what I can do if I really want. It doesn't change the existing 12v spots but I guess I could always re-wire those since they do nothing but turn on. Since 12v and 6v bulbs all come in the same "packaging" I thought maybe I could open the up (done this) and replace a resistor or something.

#10 10 months ago

You could wire two of them in series so there is only 6V drop across each bulb from the 12V source.

#11 10 months ago

Thanks, that might be possible on the spots I installed, they are all two next to each other.

#12 10 months ago

Barring next to any other ideas (tempted to try rewiring them, they are in series now but I assume changing them to parallel is what is being suggested) I ordered a cheap DC buck converter to convert to 6v. Was hoping to keep them all 12v so I also have some inline tiny LED dimmers coming which might also do most of what I wanted (lesser light and a different shade, but at least I can adjust brightness individually). I was tempted to pull apart some 12v and 6v flat top wedge flashers I have and reverse engineer the differences so I could apply them to this light but I assume that it would be too much of a pain to change whatever resistors are in there given how tiny they are and taking them apart and such. Not really worth it versus converting to 6v.

#13 10 months ago

Buy a adjustable pot like this, start with it set to 500 ohms. turn on machine and adjust it to your liking. Remove the pot and measure the ohms where you had it set at and buy enough 1/2 watt resistor to finish the job.

ebay.com link » 3590s 2 501l 500ohm Resistor Ohm Rotary Wire Wound Precision Potentiometer F0t0

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 230.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    € 3.70
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9.00
    $ 93.00
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside