• Latest reply 11 months ago by smohr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201106_121436_Film3 (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

Hi, Is there a way to do a power-up check without attaching the head and all the jones plugs.

thanks
Steve

#2 11 months ago
Quoted from smohr:

Hi, Is there a way to do a power-up check without attaching the head and all the jones plugs.
thanks
Steve

Would Not advise doing that. Plus not sure what you would gain from it?

#3 11 months ago

ok thanks - it would save me from muscling that thing onto the cabinet. I'll get it lifted - thanks

#4 11 months ago
Quoted from smohr:

ok thanks - it would save me from muscling that thing onto the cabinet. I'll get it lifted - thanks

No, at least, not for the cabinet components. The power is run from the head into the cabinet body. The power switch itself is in the cabinet.

So unfortunately, not a good way to do that without having the head on the game.

Remember to pull the power cord out from the bottom of the head before bolting the head to the game!!!

#5 11 months ago

Thanks for the heads up... I was able to wiggle the head onto my lift table and my wife and I managed to set it inplace, plugged everything in, turned it on... I have power to the cabinet and head (some lights). Now, I'll start going thru it. I'll start a new topic for this Bikini

thanks
Steve

#6 11 months ago

I won't hurt anything to do it. You obviously can't check everything but you can check that the transformer is functioning properly, and you can also check the score motor and quite a few of the relays that on on the motor board.

When I restore a game I take it apart and generally clean and adjust all the relays and all the steppers. Just plug the motor board in and manually do whatever you need to do.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I won't hurt anything to do it. You obviously can't check everything but you can check that the transformer is functioning properly, and you can also check the score motor and quite a few of the relays that on on the motor board.

This is a bingo and different from flipper ems. A lot more to them and requires both components or to make a 120V jumper. Motors are in the head with the transformer, run at 120V, but 120V is switched in the cab.

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

This is a bingo and different from flipper ems. A lot more to them and requires both components or to make a 120V jumper. Motors are in the head with the transformer, run at 120V, but 120V is switched in the cab.

Yeah I didn't see anywhere that this is a bingo which I know nothing about. Sorry about that.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Yeah I didn't see anywhere that this is a bingo which I know nothing about. Sorry about that.

No worries - this is in the bingo section, and the OP has been posting issues with his County Fair in threads within, which I've been following, so I happened to know. The sections are pretty subtle, especially on mobile devices.

For a typical flipper game (say 50s onward, generally), EMsInKC is right, and in fact that can help you understand if the cabinet motor board is solid before plugging in the backbox and troubleshooting the entire startup sequence.

For the typical bingo, this doesn't work for the reasons I stated a couple posts above. There are exceptions to everything, of course. I cheated a bit in that I knew the title they were specifically asking about.

#10 11 months ago

You can attach the head without mounting it if you're crazy enough to build adaptors. I work on so many bingos this saves my back. Lousy photo but you get the picture. Obviously you need many of these in different sizes to make it work.

20201106_121436_Film3 (resized).jpg

#11 11 months ago

Hey okorange, that's a nice jumper, but why go to the trouble?

You'd only need to jump the 110V switch that runs into the cab to test out just about all of the components in the head, right? Do you do a way more thorough test and test coin/start and tilt trip (cabinet stuff)?

-EDIT- I think I see - you use that to act as an extender. I was thinking the body would be located physically far away from the head.

#12 11 months ago

bingopodcast, right, this way I can run the machine without setting it up as long as the head and cab are in close proximity.

#13 11 months ago

Hmmm, i like that idea.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside