You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2131 (resized).JPG
1476424555543134960194 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hi gang.
I know this is not what this site is for. But...
I am Looking for video game help (site leads).
I am not sure if I am breaking any rules by asking. Just cannot find anything.
I am a pinhead(so I have been told)
Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Klov is one site that has a focus on video game repair.

#3 7 years ago

Try maaca.org for Canadian content!

#4 7 years ago

I would think that a number of members of pinside also have video arcades (I do) so go ahead and ask. Can't hurt. I never had much luck with KLOV. Ask away. I be happy to help if I can

George

#5 7 years ago

I'll try to help, I'm also on KLOV, and have had no issues getting help.

#6 7 years ago

There are no rules against posting questions regarding video games, fine china, or model train collecting. Ask away!

#8 7 years ago

Ok. I was a bit afraid to ask.. but seeing responses, her we go.
(Love this site)
I have a "Williams Make Trax"
The game itself plays perfectly, but the screen will start to jump/shake, almost to the point that it could cause seizures due to the rapid screen shake (has made me whoozy at times). I am pretry sure it has to do with the vertical or horizontal adjustment dials being "dirty". I say this because if I sweep them back and forth a bunch of times then "re-adjust them" the screen will stabilize for a few mins, or a few hours. Then it will start glitching again. I can "tap" the cabinet and that will either make it better or worse.(the old... if you hit it enough... it will work logic. Just kidding)
So I guess my question is...
Is there a way to clean the contacts or just replace?
Thanks. As always information is the key.

#9 7 years ago

Replace the potentiometers and you should
Be good to go

#10 7 years ago

Thanks EC
So you are saying no"cleaning method". And I am good with that... just have to order in parts
As I do not have local access to parts....
I will check into availability. And price.
Thanks.

1476424555543134960194 (resized).jpg1476424555543134960194 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Thanks snyper
You are a bit away from me...
Lol.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks Dr...
I will check into it.

#13 7 years ago

cgcc.ca is another Canadian resource. Mostly dedicated to video games.

#14 7 years ago

Bob Roberts will have what you need. Look on his site and identify your monitor. Send him a email and you will be good.

Google "The real Bob Roberts"

#15 7 years ago

It might not hurt to replace the caps on the monitor board if they haven't been done, while you have it out.

#16 7 years ago

It's best to replace the pots, and install a cap kit while you are in there, BUT, you could also just try cleaning the pots first to see if that helps. Spray some electrical contact cleaner on them and wipe them fully back and forth a few times. This will often bring a sketchy pot back in to perfect operation if it's not too bad.

#17 7 years ago

Do a cap kit, I recommend iankellogg.com all the way, great caps (the really good quality Nichicon ones), great packaging, good maps/instructions.

Bob Roberts' capacitors are now becoming old and dried up, seems as if he doesn't keep up with keeping them new and fresh. They do have a shelf life period.

#18 7 years ago

Thank you all for the info and leads. I will pull the board and give it a visual Inspection. I guess it will not hurt to try to clean the pots and see if there is any improvement. Then order up a "kit" to get it up to speed.
Again thanks to all that responded.

#19 7 years ago

Here is a good link to some repair information
http://thearcadebuffett.com/
Also a good place for parts
https://www.twistywristarcade.com/
I have never had any issues with parts from Bob Roberts.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Bob Roberts' capacitors are now becoming old and dried up, seems as if he doesn't keep up with keeping them new and fresh

What... Bob is the man!! He has great parts and what he can't source he has made. You will never see a "my first experience sucked" or any other bad thread about him. I have used his parts in dozens of machines.

IMG_2131 (resized).JPGIMG_2131 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

What... Bob is the man!! He has great parts and what he can't source he has made. You will never see a "my first experience sucked" or any other bad thread about him. I have used his parts in dozens of machines.

Again, I'm not bashing the REST of his parts, but his capacitors are old.

His ordering is highly outdated which was a tad annoying but not worth thinking too much of, but that PLUS when I found out his stock wasn't that good, I kind of questioned why I would even slightly consider to use him as a source. It's like a lose-lose, no point or sense in that. I found Ian's great site (who is a fellow arcade machine collector), and his stuff is really great and are better rated versions even if Bob's were brand new as well. Ian mostly just has cap kits and flybacks, so the rest you could still get from Bob anyhow.

Bob is getting old and isn't ordering much fresh stock anymore. Seems like a great guy that has done wonders for this hobby, I just wouldn't use his caps on my my personal monitors or on monitors for customers anymore. I have used Ian's on both kinds and they have worked flawlessly.

Just my experience. If you want to use him that's fine, I just figured it would be worth noting for a newbie. Ian Kellogg creates and supplies "cap maps" which is basically a visual map of the circuit board and where each cap goes printed on a piece of paper inside of the kit. Helps tremendously. Even specifies polarity and which way it needs to face, although I've found (possibly due to variants) that you really should verify these yourself by looking on the top side of the circuit board as they are not always correct.

#22 7 years ago

OP, do you know what model of monitor you have? If not, post a picture of the chassis (sits under the tube) and I will let you know from looking at it. Best of luck with it!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Again, I'm not bashing the REST of his parts, but his capacitors are old.
His ordering is highly outdated which was a tad annoying but not worth thinking too much of, but that PLUS when I found out his stock wasn't that good, I kind of questioned why I would even slightly consider to use him as a source. It's like a lose-lose, no point or sense in that. I found Ian's great site (who is a fellow arcade machine collector), and his stuff is really great and are better rated versions even if Bob's were brand new as well. Ian mostly just has cap kits and flybacks, so the rest you could still get from Bob anyhow.
Bob is getting old and isn't ordering much fresh stock anymore. Seems like a great guy that has done wonders for this hobby, I just wouldn't use his caps on my my personal monitors or on monitors for customers anymore. I have used Ian's on both kinds and they have worked flawlessly.
Just my experience. If you want to use him that's fine, I just figured it would be worth noting for a newbie. Ian Kellogg creates and supplies "cap maps" which is basically a visual map of the circuit board and where each cap goes printed on a piece of paper inside of the kit. Helps tremendously. Even specifies polarity and which way it needs to face, although I've found (possibly due to variants) that you really should verify these yourself by looking on the top side of the circuit board as they are not always correct.

What evidence do you have that Bob's capacitors are "old"?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-ask-for-video-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.