(Topic ID: 300564)

Can I Add A Memory-Protect Circuit To A Flash?

By clodpole

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by clodpole
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Switch (resized).jpg
Bracket (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

My Flash never had a memory protect switch. It has 4 new Pinball PCB boards and is inclined to corrupt its settings. I'm wondering if I can add a memory protect circuit to fix that defect?

If you've done something like this, I'd love to learn from your experience.

For that matter, if you have other suggestions re: the memory corrupting problem, I'll happlily listen to those as well.

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

interesting read https://www.coinopcauldron.com/memprot.html

sounds like low power to the 5101 can cause issues.

assuming with 4 new boards you have a non volatile ram hence no battery?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

interesting read https://www.coinopcauldron.com/memprot.html
sounds like low power to the 5101 can cause issues.
assuming with 4 new boards you have a non volatile ram hence no battery?

Sorry for the late reply... yes, I have NVRAM and no battery. My memory corruption events seem associated with on/off cycles, and your document refers to those as potential low power events.

Anyway, the Kohout brothers, makers of my boards, believe my addition of a memory protect switch will work. Their boards are based on system 7.

I have to go out of town for a week; I'll let you know when I get the switch installed how it seems to be working.

#4 2 years ago

The memory protect switch in Sys 6 and later does not write protect the whole CMOS RAM, only the area that contains settings. Otherwise the bookkeeping data could not be written to cmos. If you have problems with cmos data corruption, adding a memory protect switch would not help.

You should check the part of MPU circuitry that disables CMOS RAM (or the NVRAM in your case) when supply voltage drops. Since you dont have original boards, I cant tell how it works in your board.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The memory protect switch in Sys 6 and later does not write protect the whole CMOS RAM, only the area that contains settings. Otherwise the bookkeeping data could not be written to cmos. If you have problems with cmos data corruption, adding a memory protect switch would not help.
You should check the part of MPU circuitry that disables CMOS RAM (or the NVRAM in your case) when supply voltage drops. Since you dont have original boards, I cant tell how it works in your board.

Only settings, not CMOS, get corrupted. Sometimes in funny ways - coin slot multiplier, for example, which suddenly gives a lot of games for a quarter!

4 months later
#6 2 years ago

Well, the memory protect switch has been in my Flash now for a month. So far, so good. No newly corrupted settings.

Bracket (resized).jpgBracket (resized).jpgSwitch (resized).jpgSwitch (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7 2 years ago

Update: 3 months and no corrupted settings. I think the memory protect switch is working.

It wasn't terribly hard to cobble together and seems to have cured a very long-running annoyance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-i-add-a-memory-protect-circuit-to-a-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.