Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gk_usa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've been playing Ghostbusters on the Stern Pinball Arcade and have been really liking it. So I went and found one to play for real and it stunk. It had everything everyone always complains about happening. Cheap STDM drains. The ball wouldn't make it up the Super Jackpot ramp. Etc. Is it possible to get a Premium to play as well as the video game version in real life? Or do you need to mod the crap out of it to get it to work (i.e. Lane guards, center posts, taking the ramp down a bit). Also, does the Pro have a lot less of these problems?

#2 6 years ago

I have the airball protector and lane guide covers from pingraffix, and both make a huge difference. I have never had trouble making the ramps. The right ramp is steep and tight, so yeah.... A missed shot won't go all the way. I like it that way, not gonna cheat by "fixing" it to be less steep.
The cheap sdtm drains are annoying, but not enough for me to out the center post in. Hat just seems like too much to me. I still have some great games on it and when you get on a roll, the game really is a lot of fun.

#3 6 years ago

Absolutely! People that play mine always comment on how smooth, and fun mine is to play over those they have played on location, and even some at homes.
Comparing of course to video, it will definitely be different, no matter what.....

#4 6 years ago

Same here
Mine plays like butter, my IMVE next to it is the ass kicker, hahaha

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Mine plays like butter, my IMVE next to it is the ass kicker, hahaha

I never found IM to be too bad, IM is a kitten compared to my TWD pro which has prison magnet and pop bumper drains and dangerous drops.

#6 6 years ago

I was referring to ball times. Once I dialed in my GBLE it`s ball times have been a multitude of IMVEs.
Both games are now, at least to my liking, perfect.

#7 6 years ago

This is definitely reassuring. I played the GB Premium at the Morristown Game Vault yesterday and every time the ball came out of the pops down the center it drained. Nothing I did could change the course of the ball. I couldn't tell if it wasn't set up properly or if the game in general stunk.

#8 6 years ago

On mine the ball will occasionally come out the left side of the pops and drain but not often. The jackpot ramp can be made from either flipper fairly easily. The right ramp is tight and steep so it is tougher. Air all protector was a must have.

#9 6 years ago

real life pinball rarely plays the same as video game pinball

#10 6 years ago

Ramp less steep on the pro. never have a problem with mine. I do get the odd occasion where it will skip the outlanes and drain. That's pinball I guess..

#11 6 years ago

They make the video version play easier to appeal to a wider audience. Easy to make the ramps when they can adjust the software to line it up for you.

#12 6 years ago

Can you backhand the left ramp on the premium/LE?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Can you backhand the left ramp on the premium/LE?

I can't do it consistently, but have done it.

#14 6 years ago

Here is all I did

Airball protector
Pulled Mylar from right lane
Installed the "German" floating center post kit

Done, holds up to my ST, TWD, IMVE, MET and ACDC

#15 6 years ago

Absolutely. Mine plays perfectly and all I did was modify the air ball protector a bit.

Video game pinball, especially Sterns Pinball Arcade, does not represent how real world pinball machines play. Ball movement in the Stern Pinball Arcade is among the worst I've seen in digital pinball, just terrible. Its also far easier to hit shots and ramps in digital versions compared to the real deal.

#16 6 years ago

As above, yes, it can. I had to adjust my Slimer mech a little, added airball protector, center post/outlane kit, and adjusted gate a little at top of shooter lane.

#17 6 years ago

AND,if you have been paying attention,if you put a shorter standoff post on the right ramp(PRE,LE) it is smooth as silk!!Before shorting the R ramp,I would make that shot 1 in 5 trys! Now,4 out of 5 go no problem!

#18 6 years ago

Bought an LE-I spent a lot of time tweaking the game to make it right, carrot flippers, dropping right pke ramp down, air ball protector and a couple other things. I cannot make the large ramp from the left flipper as I have not adjusted up yet. It's my understanding now that the flippers on current production games are raised and stand up targets have been changed to remedy air balls. Also, with the flippers higher, yes you can make the left ramp from left flipper and pke ramp is more consistent-

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Cheap STDM drains

I actually like that it does that.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

AND,if you have been paying attention,if you put a shorter standoff post on the right ramp(PRE,LE) it is smooth as silk!!Before shorting the R ramp,I would make that shot 1 in 5 trys! Now,4 out of 5 go no problem!

Yes, forgot I did this also.

Drop down targets...I put on stronger springs which made them drop down too easily so I put on the originals but "shortened" the spring effectively and adjusted until there was a good balance between the drop actually dropping but still requiring a hit to do so.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

real life pinball rarely plays the same as video game pinball

This. Pinball Arcade can make some pins seem real smooth and easy when in real life they are clunky and tough. I've played more than a few different GB pins on location and they all seem a little different. Some seem to suffer cheap drains and hard shots a lot more than others. It can be a fun pin but don't really enjoy playing it anymore. You end up playing the same modes every game, hard to get to mb, clunky shots, and lots of drains. That's the nice thing about Pinball Arcade, you can enjoy a game like that without the quarters and all the headaches.

5 months later
#22 6 years ago

I'm arriving late to this thread, but you can definitely dial in GB Premium. I was very discouraged when I bought a NIB GB Premium. It had a bad coil, but even with that fixed, it had tons of airballs and unfair drains. I added airball guards near the tall, left ramp and over the inlanes and outlanes. GB has short, metal rails between the in and outlanes. The ball will bounce over it. With the airball guards, this problem is solved. Then, I added the centerpost mod (you don't have to damage the playfield, it attaches to a clear plastic airball protector) which makes this game more reasonably fair. I also adjusted the VUK coil power for the library and stopped it from ejecting SDTM. Most shots are makeable now, and although the ball does sometimes roll out of the pops, to the left, and come SDTM, it's not a common problem. Plus, you can adjust your machine's legs so that you have a very, very slight right to left or left to right lean, and it may solve your problem. If not, get the center post mod. I've played the Stern video pinball GB, and it's very similar to my machine, I feel.

#23 6 years ago

Now that I have spend countless days dialing mine in its is butter smooth and I can score big .

I can back hand the ramp on my premium just about every time.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Now that I have spend countless days dialing mine in....

My Premium arrives today. What did you adjust/change to dial it in??

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

My Premium arrives today. What did you adjust/change to dial it in??

Adjust/Change it to be a Metallica Premium, and you'll be very happy.

3 weeks later
#26 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Can you give me a link to where you got that? You are talking about the PKE shot right? Mine can't make it up that ramp but maybe once every 10 times drives me NUTS!!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I also adjusted the VUK coil power for the library and stopped it from ejecting SDTM.

I've been playing with that adjustment too. If I remember the numbers correctly, set at about 30-35, the ball will eject SDTM. At about 20-25, it will just drop down lamely to the left flipper for an easy cradle. Putting it over 40, the ball will eject with enough force to hit the right flipper and start bouncing depending on how high you go.

Did you go up or down? I'm not a fan of the low drop setting. The higher settings make it much more interesting, as it adds an element of uncertainty.

1 month later
#28 5 years ago

Sorry about the month delay. I am just learning how these forums work.

I actually went down to around 25 I believe, so it barely drops to the left flipper. It’s too easy, I agree. It basically takes any risk out of the library scoop. Except I struggle just to hit it consistently. I should try 40 or more, and then play it off the right side. Basically the reverse of the Throne Room on WOZ. I have it kick to the left flipper pretty hard. GB is such a challenge anyway, I don’t feel too bad about the soft kick out.

The shot that drives me nuts is the far right, PKE ramp. Just when I finally get the shot down (I can hit it about 40-50% now) the ball gets weird spin from the habitrail, drops into the nearest inlane, and the spin takes it to the outlane drain. Totally unfair. No reason for that to happen if working properly. I’m not sure how best to adjust it. Put Mylar tape on the habitrail to affect the spin? Something needs to alter the current combination of speed + angle of the final corner before the ball drops down. It happens about 75% of the time.

#29 5 years ago

I had the same problem on mine. I adjusted the metal ramp at the left inlane.

Loosen the nut that holds the ramp and left sling plastic down and pull the metal ramp down towards the front of the cab. Hold the ramp in place and tighten the nut. It fixed the jumping problem for me.

#30 5 years ago

There are so many of these out on location and they all play differently. Tight shots and the games are all made by hand, so your mileage my vary. As long as Slimer registers and the gate on the right orbit gate is flipped down, it plays fair in my book. Well, yeah the scoop can screw you. And the brothers will probably brick an airball over the flippers sometimes. And the ball will pop out the inner inlane and go un-saveable outlane for no reason and you just want to throw the game into the wall every other ball. ... .... I guess pretend it's an EM with movie quotes and you'll enjoy it.

#31 5 years ago

I must be in the minority. I mainly only changed the saucer and scoop power settings, and that was it. The game plays great.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from dookski:

As long as Slimer registers.......And the brothers will probably brick an airball over the flippers sometimes.

How sensitive is slimer supposed to be? Mine (GB Prem) only registers a direct hit right in the teeth! Basically, he has to be over the "lightning bolt" insert on the Gozer shot and take a straight shot to register. If the arm is swung over to the left orbit side, no hit registers. It's not really frustrating, it just makes timing that much more important.

I only get an airball off of the left brother and only from the left flipper. It has to be a hard, flush hit, but the airball has never been bad enough to jump the flippers. What's funny is when it does get airborne, it hits the right ramp wireform coming across the playfield and rebounds into the Librarian scoop. It's pretty cool to nail extra balls that way!

#33 5 years ago

It seems like if you care and own one you should be able to make it play great. It's a cool game. There happen to be an abundance of them out there that need some TLC though. Expecting it to play like the video game ain't gonna happen. We play pinball because it's not like playing a video game.

My local spot installed a newer version of slimer that is much more reliable than the first one. I don't really know but I'm pretty sure there are other threads about it. If you hit him, you should get credit.

#34 5 years ago

"Can Ghostbusters be truly dialed in?"

No, Ghostbusters is a completely different game from Dialed In.

(Sorry, this terrible joke was screaming to be said.)

#35 5 years ago

Not possible to get the ball to defy gravity in real life, no.

#36 5 years ago

The video game version is really bad.

2 months later
#37 5 years ago
Quoted from asrtiv1:

I had the same problem on mine. I adjusted the metal ramp at the left inlane.
Loosen the nut that holds the ramp and left sling plastic down and pull the metal ramp down towards the front of the cab. Hold the ramp in place and tighten the nut. It fixed the jumping problem for me.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I’ve been hesitant to adjust the angle or pitch of the ramp or habitrail. But both need tweaking to be fair. The pke ramp needs a shorter support post, and the return wireform needs to drop the ball differently. I’ll try adjusting both soon and post the results. I’m betting they both help a lot.

GB will always be a very unique, harder-than-most game that requires a lot more skill and planning to score big. I’ve hit 6 Billion and made the Pinside top 20 twice, so I’m starting to figure it out somewhat. It’s not leaving my collection anytime soon.

1 year later
#38 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

As above, yes, it can. I had to adjust my Slimer mech a little, added airball protector, center post/outlane kit, and adjusted gate a little at top of shooter lane.

What did you do to your gate and why? What problem were you having?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 103.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-ghostbusters-be-truly-dialed-in?hl=pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.