Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-2.jpeg
    Metallica.jpg
    IMG_7874-M.jpg
    ls2main_large.jpg
    images.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    boutique.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

my .02
    Indie pinball is here to stay because of one reason:
    Demand
    The demand for new games will outstrip the supply offered by Stern or JJP. Not because Stern or JJP can't build enough machines, but because they will not able able to build what the public wants in the time they want it.

i have seen nothing in the past few years that would even suggest that any of the boutiques could produce a machine in a faster timeframe than stern can...

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Agreed, but while Stern is tied up cranking out mustang type games for months on end, others will be using new technologies to create platforms & push pinball in other directions.
    Innovation leads design, factory speed doesn't.

unfortunately, "innovation" alone isn't enough... you can innovate until the cows come home, but it does you no good unless you can actually produce a product...

we've all seen some great ideas from people (and most of us likely have a few ourselves)... it's not unique to pinball, there are many ideas to build different types of many things....

however "ideas" does not equal "finished retail product"...

i'm all for small business startups (owning a small business myself, it would by hypocritical not to be)...

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

While the idea of putting up all your assets for a loan, sounds great, putting out pinball machine is a risky proposition, but more important is that even if it is very successful, it is not going to have some huge payday. So I think it becomes hard for anyone to take that level of risk when the upside is as limited as it is.
    If the community wants to see these pins come to life, we have to find the right balance. Again, I'm not saying throw money at something based on flyer or a first whitewood, but when you see a game that is 'complete' (meaning physically and code), ready for production, then at that point I think if you are interested in the game (have played it, etc.), then I think that amount of risk in doing some level of a deposit and doing a pre-pay of a good percentage of the game when your machine is ready for production, is not unreasonable if we want to continue to see games like Wooly get made.
    I do believe that the boutique makers, to succeed, will need to hit the road. There is a huge percentage of potential buyers for a theme, that are just not going to put any money down if they can't see and play the game in person. Having it at expo is great, but it seems you need to get the game to the different regions of the country. Hopefully in the case of Wooly, if Scott does not get the sign-ups he needs, hopefully he will figure out how to do that (easier said than done), so that more people can see and play it. Clearly in that thread there is a lot of 'love what i see, but I need to see it in person' types of comments.

don't want the risk? don't get into the business...

sorry... many people risk many things to start their businesses, it isn't unique to pinball... it isn't up to the customers of a business to "share the risk"....

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

... believed we could get to the point where others would than be willing to take the risk (which in this case was getting VCs to invest), but I can tell you there were points in time where we were 'well, if we don't raise money by the end of the month we need to roll up the carpets and call it a day', we took that risk, and fortunately we were able to find VCs who believed in the vision and were willing to open their checkbooks...

your whole premise breaks down right here... VCs are NOT customers... your customers were taking no risk, nor were you asking them to...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-boutique-pinball-survive?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.