(Topic ID: 188601)

Can Black Knight and Firepower Share Power Supply?

By dearliza98

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dearliza98
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6188 (resized).JPG
IMG_6187 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hey all. I just picked up a project Firepower today. Definitely some issues with the PS. I have a perfectly refurbished Black Knight power supply.

I realize one is sys 6 and one is sys 7 but wondering if I could use my extra BK supply in FP to see if it runs properly.

Thanks for the help!

#2 6 years ago

Not unless you're bk is a early production that used a sys 6 ps with the transformer in the back box

#3 6 years ago

Unfortunately those transformers were a custom part and you may not have the same one in both.

You might have the same secondary winding voltages but who knows if there's a difference in capacity.

How can we help you fix your power supply issues in the FP?

#4 6 years ago

solidstate Majdi thanks for the help.

I still need to figure out some more info but when I turn on the FP, the sound comes on and makes a deliberate in-game noise and then fades out completely. The game also initially tries to activate a solenoid once and then nothing. GI lights come on but pop bumper lights and playfield inserts do not come on. Displays do not come on either.

I can get the sound/speech diagnostics to work though...

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

solidstate majdi thanks for the help.
I still need to figure out some more info but when I turn on the FP, the sound comes on and makes a deliberate in-game noise and then fades out completely. The game also initially tries to activate a solenoid once and then nothing. GI lights come on but pop bumper lights and playfield inserts do not come on. Displays do not come on either.
I can get the sound/speech diagnostics to work though...

Sound board diagnostics working is a good sign but doesn't help diagnose the potential power problem as the sound board has it's own 5V, +12 and -12V power supply onboard.

To check if your 5V supply is good, measure the voltage between ground (wire braid or one of the board mounting screws) and Test Point 9 which is on the lower right of the CPU board to the lower right of the battery holder area. The bottom test point in the lower right is ground and the one just above it is 5V. Alternately, you can measure the voltage across the CPU board filter capacitor in the upper left corner, close to J2.

#6 6 years ago

Well, sound is something...the other stuff could be a power supply issue.

Look up and test voltages at each of your test points, and we'll take it from there.

#7 6 years ago

Schwaggs solidstate Majdi thanks again guys. Weird thing... I realized I had a rottendog power supply in my BK so I swapped it into FP and nothing changed at all so I swapped it back to the original FP supply.

I'm not actually getting any readings at all with my multimeter on the power supply or test points on the MPU that you recommended. I know my DMM is working because I'm getting voltage on the GI light sockets that are illuminated.

Could there be something wrong with the AC coming into the power supply from inside the cabinet? Something in the coin door?

In the meantime, I've been cleaning and updating! Thanks for the advice!

IMG_6187 (resized).JPGIMG_6187 (resized).JPG
IMG_6188 (resized).JPGIMG_6188 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Well, lets start at the beginning. Since the sound board works, we know the transformer is good.

Just below the power supply board are 3 fuses mounted to a small board. The left one is 20A for the GI. The 2 on the right are 4A Slow Blow fuses for the 5V supply. Check that those fuses are good.

If they are good, put your meter on AC and put one lead on ground and the other lead on each of the fuses. You should see 9-10V or so on each one.

#9 6 years ago

Schwaggs Thank you! I'm getting a little over 10V on the two 4a SB logic connections so I think that may be ok.

However, I'm only getting about 4V on the main GI 20a connection (before and after the fuse). Seems like maybe that voltage isn't coming in high enough from the transformer (?) and I confirmed that the fuse isn't the issue.

#10 6 years ago

Don't worry about the GI voltage. You cannot accurately measure that circuit from the fuse to ground. The fact that your GI is lighting up means you don't have issues there and that circuit does not impact the 5V supply.

Next in line is 4A fuse F5 on the power supply board. It is the fuse closest to the right on the power supply board. You will see C15 to the right of it (very large capacitor). Check this fuse is good.

Set your meter to DC and measure the voltage on C15. Negative lead of C15 is on the top, positive on the bottom. Should be 10-12V.

NOTE: Be careful when working on a power supply board that is powered up. The components on the left of this board power the plasma displays and is 100V and is dangerous. Never touch any of these components when the game is on.

Also, check that you have the boards mounted with screws and they are snug. These screws participate in keeping the ground level consistent between boards.

#11 6 years ago

Schwaggs Thanks again for the detailed help. I will need a little time to get back to testing. Hopefully tonight. I will say that I was messing with it yesterday and I replaced all of the fuses on the Power Supply with the exact correct fuse rating/type.

There's a 2.5A SB fuse in there. I turned on the machine, saw the playfield insert lights come on (hadn't seen this work before), some solenoids started firing and the fuse blew moments later. I'm not sure if this could be tied into your last post but figured it was worth mentioning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-black-knight-and-firepower-share-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.