(Topic ID: 280225)

Can Arcade Control Panel overlay plastic be used on a Playfield?

By jbovenzi

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1250 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1249 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Greetings and hope that others can help me please.

I am retheming a playfield (Gottlieb Jacks Open) and wish to use an overlay. Yes, I know this is evil and should not be done.

Moving that aside, I have worked with the regular vinyl overlays before. They are quite thin and move when they shouldn't.

I have also explored direct printing onto the wood. That jury is still not out, but I wish to explore more options.

GameOnGrafix (a great company - Scott is the man!) has suggested that I use their Arcade Control Panel -plastic for this. I have worked with the control panel plastics, they are more rigid, thicker and slightly textured. I do not know the name of the material and would be keen to learn the trademark name please. I'm working with an Ultracade and have included the Control Panel Overlay pictures that I have taken of this. I will assume that this is the same material.
Of course, the next email is to GameOnGrafix to see what they use.

Aside from never doing an overlay, are their any concerns that others have on using this type of material?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

IMG_1249 (resized).jpegIMG_1249 (resized).jpegIMG_1250 (resized).jpegIMG_1250 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Jacks Open is a great game. Why would you use it for a retheme?

#3 3 years ago

Because I wanted to?

#4 3 years ago

Not sure what you want me to say.

I have violated the Prime Directive and need to be flogged?

I have taken a poor condition game and refurbished the heck out of it?

I owned the game before, realize that it is a great game, want to spend lots of money on the retheme and keep it permanently in my collection?

#5 3 years ago

If you can't clear coat it regardless of what the material is, dirt that is ground into it from the ball rolling over a particular path over and over will get ground into the material and wear the color off. If you can clear coat and seal the material, you should be ok to use whatever you wish. I think your direct printing over the wood would be a better bet because it can easily be clear coated and protected. I don't believe vinyl will clear coat well.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from pbwizard14:

If you can't clear coat it regardless of what the material is, dirt that is ground into it from the ball rolling over a particular path over and over will get ground into the material and wear the color off. If you can clear coat and seal the material, you should be ok to use whatever you wish. I think your direct printing over the wood would be a better bet because it can easily be clear coated and protected. I don't believe vinyl will clear coat well.

Thank you for your answer. I do get if I can clear coat it, I might be able to pull this off.

I am still working the direct printing, but am a little hesitant because of the costs.

If I can do this for less money, then I will be much happier. Hundreds of dollars rather than thousands.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Thank you for your answer. I do get if I can clear coat it, I might be able to pull this off.
I am still working the direct printing, but am a little hesitant because of the costs.
If I can do this for less money, then I will be much happier. Hundreds of dollars rather than thousands.

I think you will be really unhappy if the vinyl color disappears or it wears out and you have holes in it. Pinballs are brutal on a playfield because they too become damaged with scratches that are not noticeable to the eye or touch and increase the damage they do. Better to spend the money now than have to remove the vinyl later and do the direct printing after you remove the adhesive and prep the playfield for direct print or paint. You might want to think about sending the playfield off to somebody who can airbrush and clear coat the playfield with your design for you. If it's going to be a keeper, the money will be well worth the cost and you can rest easy it will be what you want for as long as you own it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-arcade-control-panel-overlay-plastic-be-used-on-a-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.