(Topic ID: 92314)

Can anything be done when hard shots knock the flippers down?

By Brad76

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sb54.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brad76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I know I've seen this on other games, maybe its a Date East issue? But on LAH, the ripper shot comes out very quickly and if I hold the flipper button in, most shots will knock the flipper to the down position (kind of like it has no power) and drain down the middle. Are there any adjustments to be done that can help this?

#4 9 years ago

Yes, the ball does knock the flipper down. The flipper does not go back up while still holding the flipper button. The ball knocks the flipper down (almost like it kills the flipper). As soon as I let off the button and press it again, it works normally.

I haven't checked the flipper bushing or cam holding the flipper rod but I can check when I get some time.

So, I'm assuming this should not be normally happening?

#13 9 years ago

OK all, this game does have the EOS flipper switches. It was the second game DE put them on. Oddly enough the right flipper when I lift the flipper all the way up is closed (together) when in the up or down position. The left one opens up after originally being closed when the flipper was activated. I thought that might be the issue but then I checked both flippers and both of them when I pull down on them by hand when the game is on, drop down with a little bit of force.

I can feel some vibrating/pulsing in the left flipper after it drops to the down position so it seems like it is getting some power...

So, its not seeming like the EOS switch adjustment is mattering or at least it doesn't matter if its open or closed when the flipper is in the up position because the hard hit ball would still knock the flipper down.

So the EOS switch is not missing or broken. I checked the little wires on the coil and they are attached and fine unless they are broken behind the coil wrapping.

Any other ideas, is the only other option the circuit it attaches to being dead as markmon suggested?

#15 9 years ago

Fuses on flipper board checked out fine as well.

#23 9 years ago

crash, I went into switch test, I didn't come across a switch edge test that might be B/W, only? In switch test, I activated a few other switches and they showed up, when I manually lifted the flippers, nothing showed up in the test menu.

The pinwiki site mentioned in this thread mentions that Data East (didn't mention stern but it probably continues) doesn't have an eos on the upper flippers. So that's likely why your Ripleys may be like that.

Should my EOS switch be together (closed) at rest and then apart (open) when the flipper is activated? I assume that's the case but the right flipper is closed up or down while the left is closed then open. Needless to say, both flippers are adjusted completely the opposite of one another but both have the same symptoms.

#24 9 years ago

So its almost like the EOS adjustments are having no bearing on the flipper hold issue? since it happens when they are both open and closed.

#28 9 years ago

Since I am not getting it to register in the switch test, I'm guessing the EOS switched in both flippers are bad or that there is an issue in the flipper board.

#29 9 years ago

Umm, ok after a bit of inspection, neither EOS switch under the playfield near the flippers has any wires hooked up to them. That sounds more than suspicious. I'm assuming that should not be the case? They look like pretty new EOS switches with no solder on the connections ever. Any idea where the wires should be coming from as I don't see any loose ones sitting around that need attached?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brad76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anything-be-done-when-hard-shots-knock-the-flippers-down?tu=Brad76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.