(Topic ID: 30856)

*UPDATE* Video of a TZ with a ColorDMD in White for black and white TV effect.

By Miguel351

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x-pin.jpg
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Well, I would imagine if they offered a product line of just non-game specific ColorDMD's, they could buy their screens and other parts needed in much larger bulk at a better discount.

That's what we hoped when we looked into it, but unfortunately the LCD manufacturers disagreed. Our volumes are nothing compared to computer manufacturers who order parts in the hundreds of thousands. To get the parts we need, we generally have to deal with traders and work with whatever surplus inventory is available. Sourcing high quality displays (1920x1080 HD tested without defects) at reasonable prices has been the most challenging part of our business. Combine this with all the custom parts we order (brackets, boards, cables) and it's an expensive endeavor.

We have been considering offering selectable single-color displays but it will probably take a surplus of LCD screens to have a significant impact on the hardware costs our pricing is based on. At current pricing, we already provide a lower cost alternative to Vishay's discrete (grid-free) LED displays with additional color options. With additional optimization, it might be possible to get closer to the cost of some matrix LED displays. In the meantime, we're continuing to add value where we can and working on new products and features.

I do like the white on TZ but I'm partial to those who've pointed out that the rest of the playfield/backglass/cabinet is color. When we do have something to offer for TZ, I would hope that we can find a way to combine both color and black&white elements in an interesting way. However, given the complexity of coloring TZ, leaving it white would be way easier!

Thanks to all for the continued support and suggestions. We are listening!

Randy
www.colordmd.com

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Why does the LCD need to be such a high resolution for reproducing such a low resolution display? Is is so the Low res dots look right?

Good question. Actually we don't need the high resolution at all. The first prototype used a 1366x768 notebook display and the dots looked great. I'd prefer to use these as they're much more readily available and less expensive. The problem is backlight bleed through and limited field of view with the lower resolution displays.

The HD displays use a different technology that provides better contrast when viewing off angle. This is really important for pinball since we're standing and looking down on the display. The vertical field of view for lower resolution notebook displays is pretty awful. They work well for notebooks because you can tilt them to reduce the viewing angle.

Randy
www.colordmd.com

10 months later
#59 10 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

I would like to try ColorDMD but there's no color ROM for TZ yet.
If I'm able to upgrade the ROM on ColorDMD Sigma to TZ Color ROM when it comes out I don't need to think twice
Are those ROM upgrades free after you buy your ColorDMD?

Here's the official text from our store's Terms and Conditions page:

FUTURE PRODUCTS: We make no representation, guarantee, or warranty that any ColorDMD product sold through our site, or through our distributors, will support or be compatible with any future product, product enhancement, or feature released by ColorDMD Displays LLC.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

So you're telling me I have to wait?

You should only purchase a ColorDMD now if you're satisfied with the current offering.

The current ColorDMD will work in a WPC/WPC95/SAM/Whitestar game in single color mode with choice of color and display effect. You can also place it another game for which a supported color ROM currently exists.

You should not buy with an expectation that a future color ROM is coming, or that it will be compatible or freely available with the current display.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 12.95
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-with-a-colordmd-and-a-youtube-account-do-me-a-favor?tu=dmod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.