(Topic ID: 30856)

*UPDATE* Video of a TZ with a ColorDMD in White for black and white TV effect.

By Miguel351

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

x-pin.jpg
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

can you go to a lower resolution LED tv display?

#52 6 years ago

I just wish OLED displays were being advanced and produced as quickly as they said they were going to be 4 years ago. They said by now, we'd have OLED 55" TV's for $2000. Haven't seen one yet....An OLED screen would be perfect for this kind of application, but sadly they are still FAR too expensive.

Quoted from Dmod:

We have been considering offering selectable single-color displays but it will probably take a surplus of LCD screens to have a significant impact on the hardware costs our pricing is based on.

When we do have something to offer for TZ, I would hope that we can find a way to combine both color and black&white elements in an interesting way. However, given the complexity of coloring TZ, leaving it white would be way easier!

Well, as you can see by the posts in this thread, you'd have a lot of support for doing the single-color selectable LCD's. I bet if you came up with a list of all the titles your system would work for and set up a survey of how many people would buy them for their games solely to be able to choose a color for their DMD that fit the theme of their game, you'd be seriously surprised at the number you could sell. Honestly. I've been talking about this TZ/BW thing for a LONG time and finally I decided to ask if someone could put 2 and 2 together so I could see what it actually looked like and look at the response it's received.

I'm telling ya, easy money.

Maybe the answer to this gets back to something someone mentioned a while ago: selling a ColorDMD SDK(Dev kit). That way you could sell a barebones setup and people can source their own game and animations and color them themselves.

I don't know. All I know is you guys make a great product a lot of people are happy with and there are a lot of us that want just a part of that technology because we don't need all of it, just a color or two here and there, and it'd be nice to not have to pay the full amount when we're using but a fraction of the item's capabilities. We want your jobs to be as easy as possible!

Trust me, we're all fans! We're pulling for you guys to get a tremendous deal on a buttload of screens!

#53 6 years ago

Plus, these LCD panels are much more ideal replacements than LED dot matrix displays. Yes plasma DMDs are still out there but they're going up in price. Less common 128x16 and 192x64 plasma displays are no longer in production. They are no longer affordable, and the LED replacements look pretty bad with all the grid lines. LCDs are more modern, and would eliminate both problems, plus last virtually forever. I would love to see a cheaper "all-purpose" solution. I will be buying if this is the case.

10 months later
#54 5 years ago

A question about ColorDMD and TZ..
If you buy today a COLORDMD SIGMA WPC/WPC95 and use it on TZ in B/W .
Will it be possible (someday when TZ ColorDMD comes out) to upgrade the ROM for color TZ or should I wait for ColorDMD TZ release?

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

That's what we hoped when we looked into it, but unfortunately the LCD manufacturers disagreed. Our volumes are nothing compared to computer manufacturers who order parts in the hundreds of thousands. To get the parts we need, we generally have to deal with traders and work with whatever surplus inventory is available. Sourcing high quality displays (1920x1080 HD tested without defects) at reasonable prices has been the most challenging part of our business. Combine this with all the custom parts we order (brackets, boards, cables) and it's an expensive endeavor.
We have been considering offering selectable single-color displays but it will probably take a surplus of LCD screens to have a significant impact on the hardware costs our pricing is based on. At current pricing, we already provide a lower cost alternative to Vishay's discrete (grid-free) LED displays with additional color options. With additional optimization, it might be possible to get closer to the cost of some matrix LED displays. In the meantime, we're continuing to add value where we can and working on new products and features.
I do like the white on TZ but I'm partial to those who've pointed out that the rest of the playfield/backglass/cabinet is color. When we do have something to offer for TZ, I would hope that we can find a way to combine both color and black&white elements in an interesting way. However, given the complexity of coloring TZ, leaving it white would be way easier!
Thanks to all for the continued support and suggestions. We are listening!
Randy
http://www.colordmd.com

I put the one out of my WH2O in my TZ with the WH2O program still in it.
Kind of blue/white but the score screen is the same as in WH2O.
If I could just change the score screen to white I would leave it.
Not sure if I want to put it into AFM or go with the white dots in TZ.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Will it be possible (someday when TZ ColorDMD comes out) to upgrade the ROM for color TZ or should I wait for ColorDMD TZ release?

Yes, you can download the color ROM for free.

#57 5 years ago

FYI X-Pin has a white LED DMD now, saw it at Expo and it looks good. Built with the blocks, so you can see some mild grid lines, but it was pretty lined up.

#58 5 years ago

I would like to try ColorDMD but there's no color ROM for TZ yet.
If I'm able to upgrade the ROM on ColorDMD Sigma to TZ Color ROM when it comes out I don't need to think twice
Are those ROM upgrades free after you buy your ColorDMD?

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

I would like to try ColorDMD but there's no color ROM for TZ yet.
If I'm able to upgrade the ROM on ColorDMD Sigma to TZ Color ROM when it comes out I don't need to think twice
Are those ROM upgrades free after you buy your ColorDMD?

Here's the official text from our store's Terms and Conditions page:

FUTURE PRODUCTS: We make no representation, guarantee, or warranty that any ColorDMD product sold through our site, or through our distributors, will support or be compatible with any future product, product enhancement, or feature released by ColorDMD Displays LLC.

#60 5 years ago

So you're telling me I have to wait?

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

So you're telling me I have to wait?

You should only purchase a ColorDMD now if you're satisfied with the current offering.

The current ColorDMD will work in a WPC/WPC95/SAM/Whitestar game in single color mode with choice of color and display effect. You can also place it another game for which a supported color ROM currently exists.

You should not buy with an expectation that a future color ROM is coming, or that it will be compatible or freely available with the current display.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

You should only purchase a ColorDMD now if you're satisfied with the current offering.
The current ColorDMD will work in a WPC/WPC95/SAM/Whitestar game in single color mode with choice of color and display effect. You can also place it another game for which a supported color ROM currently exists.
You should not buy with an expectation that a future color ROM is coming, or that it will be compatible or freely available with the current display.

Caveat Emptor..

But here is to hoping that a TZ version is released soon!!!

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

yes with a caveat, color dnd does not guarantee existing hardware will be compatible with future firmware. So if they do a color tz but it's on new hardware it may not work on old hardware.

#64 5 years ago

Has anybody heard anything more on Homepin's LED DMD replacement? I figure since he left Pinside, we'd probably not be so privy to updates anymore. But, he was building(or having built for him) an all white LED based DMD made from individual LED's and not matrices like X-Pin's. From there, you would just use theater gels to make whatever color you wanted. Seemed like a great idea, and could be quite cost effective. I just haven't heard anything about it in a while and their website is devoid of any info on it....

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Has anybody heard anything more on Homepin's LED DMD replacement? I figure since he left Pinside, we'd probably not be so privy to updates anymore. But, he was building(or having built for him) an all white LED based DMD made from individual LED's and not matrices like X-Pin's. From there, you would just use theater gels to make whatever color you wanted. Seemed like a great idea, and could be quite cost effective. I just haven't heard anything about it in a while and their website is devoid of any info on it....

The X-Pin one is blocks, but it looked pretty good:

x-pin.jpg

It was hard to photograph, the color looked better in person.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Cool product? Heck yes. Would I buy from him at this point? Heck no.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Cool product? Heck yes. Would I buy from him at this point? Heck no.

He doesn't care, he doesn't want to sell to North Americans and doesn't want our business.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside