(Topic ID: 30856)

*UPDATE* Video of a TZ with a ColorDMD in White for black and white TV effect.

By Miguel351

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x-pin.jpg
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Old thread title:
Can anyone with a ColorDMD and a Youtube account do me a favor?

With the number of Pinsiders with a ColorDMD and a Youtube account, I hope this isn't too difficult a task...

Could you set it to the solid white color setting and film a few animations?

I'm curious how much shading and brightness changes go on in the animations. I remember a lot of talk about how people want ColorDMD to make one for TZ, but a lot of people also said, "It needs to be just black and white." Well, let's see how close the ColorDMD can get to that with it's white setting....

Anyone able to do this?

I'm kinda curious for myself, too, because I've got a TZ now and I will be getting a TAF sooner or later(I'm just kind of tight on money right now), so I know I'll be able to use it regardless.

#2 11 years ago

Just for clarity, this can be done on any of the three games ColorDMD makes their LCD for. It doesn't matter to me which one, either. I just want to see how they handle shading.

#3 11 years ago

To me just full black and full white would look awful. Look at black and white films and shows, they have shades in between. If you use a ColorDMD in Twilight Zone you'll get those shades between full black and full white. Should look pretty good.

#4 11 years ago

Twilight zone looks excellent with an xpin blue Dmd.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

If you use a ColorDMD in Twilight Zone you'll get those shades between full black and full white. Should look pretty good.

That's exactly what I was hoping, and therefore why I want to see what animations, in general, look like in white on ANY ColorDMD for ANY pin it's in.

If you don't have a YouTube account, but have iMessage, PM me and I'll send you my info.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I'm kinda curious for myself, too, because I've got a TZ now and I will be getting a TAF sooner or later(I'm just kind of tight on money right now), so I know I'll be able to use it regardless.

Been wondering aboot white TZ for a long time now. Wish Someone could do it.

Personally I thin TAF color DMD looks piss poor

#7 11 years ago

I had an extra ColorDMD in my No good gofers set to green, and this sounded like a better idea.
Enjoy!

IMG_1292.JPGIMG_1292.JPG IMG_1297.JPGIMG_1297.JPG IMG_1296.JPGIMG_1296.JPG

#8 11 years ago

That is pretty sweet!

#9 11 years ago

That looks ok!

#10 11 years ago

They need a color dmd for Getaway

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

I had an extra ColorDMD in my No Good Gofers set to green, and this sounded like a better idea.
Enjoy!
» YouTube video

YOU are the man, way to deliver!

#12 11 years ago

Mmmmm, daddy like.

That settles it for me! Thank you so much for your help!

#13 11 years ago

Wow, that looks really good. Good idea.

#14 11 years ago

Alright so where do I get a Color DMD now? Oh damn that's expensive.

#15 11 years ago

By the way, you can change any display color in pinmame. Just right click on the display (DMD or alpha-numeric) pick game settings and change the color. You will then have to re-start pinmame. It works well for checking out different colors on displays.

#16 11 years ago

I'd like to do that, but I'm at work, on a Mac, and it's always nice to see the real thing in action. Thanks for posting the pics, too. It gives a better representation as to the contrast level as well. The vid is awesome, but some of the dots are so close, they bleed together. The pics show the true detail, especially that title screen!

#17 11 years ago

I like the black & white look a lot! It goes perfect with the theme.

#18 11 years ago

Very nice! B/W is a great choice. Now I want one!

#19 11 years ago

that looks so much better, wish I owned a TZ now. Almost seems as if the color DMD has better refresh rate, or is that just my eyes playing games on me?

#21 11 years ago

With how many TZ's that are out there, I'm still amazed they still haven't come out with the ColorDMD like on AFM, MM, and TAF. I'm sure it's coming, but damnit that's not now

#22 11 years ago

That looks really good.

I wonder if you could make a white LED DMD. I don't see why not in theory, you can fade a white LED for shades just like any other color (see Apple' pulsing white LED sleep lights for instance). Not cheap, but probably within striking distance of blue LEDs, and that exists already.

It's quite striking on it's own, just white, but would also be interesting if you added theater lighting gels over it, could open up a real gamut of custom color options.

#23 11 years ago

I've been saying this all along for games like TZ and CftBL where the original source material was in black in white. the movie clip animations would look great in b/w (as shown above, they do) and other animations could still be in color to show off the capabilities of what ColorDMD can do

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

I had an extra ColorDMD in my No Good Gofers set to green, and this sounded like a better idea.

I would love to see it in blue on any pin if you could? I want to get a Xpin Blue for my Tron but the 'gridlines' on it are really putting me off.....

And a colorDMD isn't really that much more....If you could do a video and photos on any pin in Blue i would be extremely grateful.

#25 11 years ago

Wow! The black/white is bad ass for a tz. Fits the theme perfect. Ok, I want a tz now just to see this mod

#26 11 years ago

Brings in the games black-and-white television show nostalgia. I like it!!

1 week later
#27 11 years ago

That looks awesome! I am tempted to buy a second colorDMD just to do this to my TZ. Someone really should market a white DMD. You could make it any color you wanted with filters.

#28 11 years ago

yep, agree with the mass, b/w is great on TZ

#29 11 years ago

If I'm going to send $400, it better be in full color. I get the B/W theme but if it's all white, I'll just stick with the plain old orange display.

#30 11 years ago

Why don't we "petition" ColorDMD to make one with no programming for a specific game, but still have all 255 colors be selectable? If they could do it for like $199 or $249, I'd be down to get one.

Seems like they'd rule the market for the "change your DMD color" crowd. No filters to buy and get the exact color you want. Seems like a no brainer to me.....

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Why don't we "petition" ColorDMD to make one with no programming for a specific game, but still have all 255 colors be selectable? If they could do it for like $199 or $249, I'd be down to get one.
Seems like they'd rule the market for the "change your DMD color" crowd. No filters to buy and get the exact color you want. Seems like a no brainer to me.....

I think that would be super dope!! I think though the issue might be supply of parts. With The popularity of the color display I'm sure if they don't some one soon will.

#32 11 years ago

TZ looks awesome - great idea!

#33 11 years ago

I have spoken with the colordmd guys about a cheaper and non-game specific "un-colorized" version.

I belive they would like to do that in the future but they are still having a hard enough time sourcing parts just to fullfill need for the game specific verisons.

Fingers crossed for that in the future...

#35 11 years ago

Hmmm.... I need to get the calculator out.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1079

Edit:
I don't even know if this is the right dot pitch, but it's like 3 times the cost of the red one.

#36 11 years ago

B&W for TZ? I think yes!!!!

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have spoken with the colordmd guys about a cheaper and non-game specific "un-colorized" version.

I belive they would like to do that in the future but they are still having a hard enough time sourcing parts just to fullfill need for the game specific verisons.

Fingers crossed for that in the future...

Well, I would imagine if they offered a product line of just non-game specific ColorDMD's, they could buy their screens and other parts needed in much larger bulk at a better discount.

Quoted from herg:

Hmmm.... I need to get the calculator out.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1079

Edit:
I don't even know if this is the right dot pitch, but it's like 3 times the cost of the red one.

That would work, but there are a few drawbacks I can see:

1) The LED board's native state is gold, according to the pics. You'd have a gold background and therefore not much contrast. Nevermind the fact that even when the game is off, you'd have a gold screen.

2) There's a great chance you'd end up with a screen like Xpin's LED screens, with grid lines. Some people don't care, but others(including myself) do. Unless the edges of these panels have half the distance of the internal LED interstitials, you'll get grid lines.

3) After the cost of these things and time to hash out all the board-work, then make a printed board for it, you'll probably end up at the same cost, if not more, of what ColorDMD will hopefully charge for something like this.

4) All ColorDMD really seems to be doing is using a small LCD TV screen(think headrests of Escalades) and replicating the dot matrix effect. I'm guessing it'd just take someone who's an excellent programmer to convert digital signals of light intensities to a graphical matrix for display using a standard TV screen. Simple enough, right?

Now that I've written these down, herg, you're gonna do it just to prove me wrong, huh?! Either that or you're going to look into making something custom for yourself....

Ultimately, this is essentially going backwards, technologically, for ColorDMD. All they'd need are the parts and to create a list of games they'll work on and bam, instant sales. But the price would have to be WAY less than $400 to be viable.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Now that I've written these down, herg, you're gonna do it just to prove me wrong, huh?!

Nope. I'd much rather buy something that someone else made. Plus, you're right, even if all the technical stuff fell into place, the cost of the special LED colors would make it more than a ColorDMD.

#39 11 years ago

Ha ha! I was just kidding, but sometimes even I like to prove something can be done just for the sake of doing it.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

4) All ColorDMD really seems to be doing is using a small LCD TV screen(think headrests of Escalades) and replicating the dot matrix effect. I'm guessing it'd just take someone who's an excellent programmer to convert digital signals of light intensities to a graphical matrix for display using a standard TV screen. Simple enough, right?

Oh my god, a B&W CRT DMD replacement for TZ. That would look so sick.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Well, I would imagine if they offered a product line of just non-game specific ColorDMD's, they could buy their screens and other parts needed in much larger bulk at a better discount.

That's what we hoped when we looked into it, but unfortunately the LCD manufacturers disagreed. Our volumes are nothing compared to computer manufacturers who order parts in the hundreds of thousands. To get the parts we need, we generally have to deal with traders and work with whatever surplus inventory is available. Sourcing high quality displays (1920x1080 HD tested without defects) at reasonable prices has been the most challenging part of our business. Combine this with all the custom parts we order (brackets, boards, cables) and it's an expensive endeavor.

We have been considering offering selectable single-color displays but it will probably take a surplus of LCD screens to have a significant impact on the hardware costs our pricing is based on. At current pricing, we already provide a lower cost alternative to Vishay's discrete (grid-free) LED displays with additional color options. With additional optimization, it might be possible to get closer to the cost of some matrix LED displays. In the meantime, we're continuing to add value where we can and working on new products and features.

I do like the white on TZ but I'm partial to those who've pointed out that the rest of the playfield/backglass/cabinet is color. When we do have something to offer for TZ, I would hope that we can find a way to combine both color and black&white elements in an interesting way. However, given the complexity of coloring TZ, leaving it white would be way easier!

Thanks to all for the continued support and suggestions. We are listening!

Randy
www.colordmd.com

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Thanks to all for the continued support and suggestions. We are listening!

Good. In that case, please make Monster Bash the next Color DMD model!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Good. In that case, please make Monster Bash the next Color DMD model!

He meant to say IJ.

#44 11 years ago

Or just do another release of what you already did. I missed out on TAF release that sold out in an hour.

#45 11 years ago

Why does the LCD need to be such a high resolution for reproducing such a low resolution display? Is is so the Low res dots look right?

#47 11 years ago

Wow, that B/W DMD for Twilight Zone looks great!!!!!

#48 11 years ago

B/W on TZ is awesome!

#49 11 years ago

The LCD displays don't have to be high res. The problem is the only thing that's available now are HD displays. I'm kind of surprised they are "forced" (as they make it appear) to buy high end 1080p panels. A lower end 1280x1024 would work just fine, or if they need the wider aspect ratio, 1280x720. Looking that far away from the screen and having just dots displayed you wouldn't notice a difference unless you really eyeballed it close up.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Why does the LCD need to be such a high resolution for reproducing such a low resolution display? Is is so the Low res dots look right?

Good question. Actually we don't need the high resolution at all. The first prototype used a 1366x768 notebook display and the dots looked great. I'd prefer to use these as they're much more readily available and less expensive. The problem is backlight bleed through and limited field of view with the lower resolution displays.

The HD displays use a different technology that provides better contrast when viewing off angle. This is really important for pinball since we're standing and looking down on the display. The vertical field of view for lower resolution notebook displays is pretty awful. They work well for notebooks because you can tilt them to reduce the viewing angle.

Randy
www.colordmd.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-with-a-colordmd-and-a-youtube-account-do-me-a-favor/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.