(Topic ID: 308298)

Can anyone identify what type of wire this is? Looking to buy.

By ThePurpleDragon

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Blake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220118_115629 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hello!

This is Lauren, and I am looking for some help on identifying what type of wire this is. The company is long out of business it seems. All I can guess is that this is 22 gauge wire. Unfortunately, I can't tell what metal it is either. It's silver in color so I don't think it's copper. This is for the in house technician.

If anyone can provide any identifying information about this wire or where to buy some, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

20220118_115629 (resized).jpg20220118_115629 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Looks like regular 22 AWG wire. It's probably tinned copper, which is why it looks silver.

#3 2 years ago

There is also a distinction between solid core and stranded wire. Pinball generally uses stranded wire.

What is the application?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

There is also a distinction between solid core and stranded wire. Pinball generally uses stranded wire.
    What is the application?

He uses it for replacing traces

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Redwizard000:

It's probably tinned copper, which is why it looks silver.

Plenty of insulated aluminum wire out there. A quick scrape with a knife blade will tell which it is.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Plenty of insulated aluminum wire out there. A quick scrape with a knife blade will tell which it is.

Sure, could be. Hard to tell just from a picture though.

#10 2 years ago

For future use get Kynar. They make high quality solid core wire in high gauges. I've been using 30 awg for data trace repairs as its perfect for through hole fixes and does not obstruct headers or sockets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-identify-what-type-of-wire-this-is-looking-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.