(Topic ID: 236283)

Can anyone identify this pinball from the 1930's?

By Alan_L

62 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 61 days ago by DennisDodel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190216_150228 (resized).jpg
    20190216_111335 (resized).jpg
    20190216_150348 (resized).jpg
    20190216_150246 (resized).jpg
    20190216_150320 (resized).jpg
    20190216_150241 (resized).jpg
    20190216_150237 (resized).jpg

#1 62 days ago

I acquired this old pinball which I believe is from the 1930's. You get ten balls for a nickel, the balls are wooden. I don't know what the "W" in the center stands for, I'm told it could be Watling or Western Amusement, or some other.
    There is a ball serve lever which puts the ball into the shooter lane and it is launched with a shooter rod with a wooden tip.
    The ball spins around the perimeter of the wheel (the wheel doesn't move), and as it slows it falls into a hole with a point count or zero.
    That's all I know about this machine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

20190216_150228 (resized).jpg20190216_111335 (resized).jpg20190216_150246 (resized).jpg20190216_150348 (resized).jpg20190216_150241 (resized).jpg20190216_150320 (resized).jpg20190216_150237 (resized).jpg
    #2 62 days ago

Its a Watling in the Daisy series...ill see if I can find exact....

#4 62 days ago

Blue Seal....beat me Dennis!

#5 62 days ago

Not exactly the same though. Note the 'Double Score' on this one.

#6 62 days ago

Can not be operated with matches, cardboard, steel slugs, or other trash used for beating or cheating.

#7 62 days ago

What? Do you mean to tell me that after spending hours this afternoon scouring arcane websites and looking at a million pics, that I start this thread and 18 minutes later DennisDodel tells me that it was in the IPDB all the time?!?! Jesus! Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread, I really appreciate it.

Next questions: I want to clean and polish the cabinet, what should I use?

Also, the green, yellow and black areas of the wheel have a lot of paint chips. Will touching up these spots help or hurt the value? Should I just leave it alone?

And, most important of all, what is this machine worth?

Again, thanks for all your info.

Alan

#8 61 days ago

Dennis asked me to take a look. In the time it took for me to search offline and write this message, I see additional posts have been made here. Anyway...

Sometimes, the manufacturer's Billboard ads are all what we seem to have available to us to decide, or confirm years later, what the game is and what it gets called.

1) Look at this Billboard ad for the game identified as "Blue Seal":

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=331&picno=59377&zoom=1

Notice that the simple cabinet front looks like your game, a coin slide on the left with a door below it.

Notice that the cabinet side in the ad does not have a small, round Blue Seal on it, unlike our photo example if it:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=331&picno=67157&zoom=1

Notice that the center playfield wheel to the right of the "W" shows "100" in the photographed game:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=331&picno=67155

but the Billboard ad seems to have more than just a three-digit number, yet we cannot read it, dang.

2) Next, look at this Billboard ad for the game identified as "Profit Sharing Pin Game":

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1868&picno=42622&zoom=1

Notice it does show the Blue Seal on the cabinet side and its cabinet front near the coin slide is more complicated than your game.

Notice the center wheel to the right of the "W" certainly shows something more to say than just "100" but it's not in focus, dang again.

So, the game called Blue Seal in their ad did not have a blue seal on it, but the other game that was not called Blue Seal did have the blue seal on it, in their ad. Seems we cannot trust the presence or absence of this blue seal to define the name of the game.

The ads seems to indicate each version has more than just "100" on the wheel. Hmm... our photographed version seems to be the odd man out.

We do see the fronts of each cabinet are different from each other, and your cabinet front matches the one called "Blue Seal"

Which game do you have? Unless you have a third variation, it appears. yeah, you have the one called Blue Seal and your wording "Double Score" may be what's in the ad, a better match than our photographed game which is now the "hybrid-looking" one.

Could you make some hi-res images for the IPDB, please? The ones you show here are cool but they happen to chop off the sides of the playfield or just a tad of the cabinet front. Some more direct shots, including both sides and the back side, so we can see if a blue seal is there.

If you have choice of camera, can you use a regular digital camera instead of a camera phone? Maybe that will help the glare. Still, I am grateful for the best you can do.

Thank you,

Jay
    IPDB
    jay@ipdb.org

#9 61 days ago

Cool looking, straight up gambling machine. I thought it was a roulette wheel at first glance. I will defer to the Experts here but if I had it a meticulous careful cleaning after disassembly then a seal coat or two of lacquer with a flattening additive.
    Thanks for sharing.

#10 61 days ago

Dennis Dodel noticed in the Blue Seal manufacturer ad this statement:

"There is one free hole and one double score hole."

So, it supports the unreadable words in that ad's picture, and that your game is that Blue Seal, and that the photographed example we show for Blue Seal has a "100" wheel that doesn't appear in any ads we have yet encountered.

Thanks, Dennis.

#11 61 days ago

I remember a chat with Dick Bueschel, when I was scanning old Billboard Magazines for him in the NY Library, that we had seen several variations of playfields on the Watling Round game series. Some were wood playfields as well as cast.
    Not sure why, or prototypes.....but not all were in billboard ads..He kept calling them "Daisy games", as
    a loose reference. My mind thinks 5-6.....
    Do you know how many pins Watling made?

#12 61 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I remember a chat with Dick Bueschel, when I was scanning old Billboard Magazines for him in the NY Library, that we had seen several variations of playfields on the Watling Round game series. Some were wood playfields as well as cast.
    Not sure why, or prototypes.....but not all were in billboard ads..He kept calling them "Daisy games", as
    a loose reference. My mind thinks 5-6.....
    Do you know how many pins Watling made?

I believe Dick was probably using the term "Daisy" to apply to all of the Square Games with round playfields. The game called Daisy was built by the Peo company and is indeed one of these style games. Here is a list of all of the Square/Round playfield games listed in the IPDB. https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ft=square.machine&notes=square.machine&bool=or&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

There are only two Watling pins listed in the data base.

#13 61 days ago

Thanks Dennis!

I would never have thought a search could be made to show square games!
    I think you are right on how Dick referenced this series.
    I also think there was one more strange thing.

We had a Picture of a Daisy Playfield in a game without all the Artwork on the surrounding area.

Crude Billboard photo copies in the 70s, and no Internet, made it an interesting chase....

#14 61 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Crude Billboard photo copies in the 70s, and no Internet, made it an interesting chase....

I spent many a day at the main library here copying ads from the Billboard mags on Microfiche. As you probably know, the reproduced photos were very crude and hard to see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside