(Topic ID: 310925)

Can anyone help me understand this schematic for my Stern Viper?

By n1teowl

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by n1teowl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Viper Stern Electronics, 1981

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220304-212221_Chrome (resized).jpg
20220304_172652 (resized).jpg
20220304_171835 (resized).jpg
20220304_171759 (resized).jpg
zener (resized).png
zener (resized).png
Stern_1981_Viper_Rotor_Schematic (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I've been having some interesting issues with my Stern Viper turret mech. I've tried a ton of different things to fix its wonky behavior and am hoping someone can help me understand the attached schematic. The issue I have been having is very intermittent. The turret will start to rotate when the ball drops in, as it is supposed to, and then the "reverse" and "fire" buttons will quit working. The next time it might not register the ball has gone in and will just sit there. The next time it works fine. I have questions specifically about the capacitors near the motor and motor relay. There is a big one right before the power that goes to the motor, and there are a couple of smaller ones near the relay. Can anyone shed light on what they are supposed to be doing? Is it for filtering on the circuit? Could a bad one be causing this behavior? The big one is an electrolytic capacitor (which I'm sure has dried out after 45 years) and the smaller ones are ceramic discs. Thanks!

Stern_1981_Viper_Rotor_Schematic (resized).jpgStern_1981_Viper_Rotor_Schematic (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Replace the big cap, disc caps are probably ok. I would also look at the zener diodes

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Replace the big cap, disc caps are probably ok. I would also look at the zener diodes

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that. Do you think the symptoms I described sound like a bad capacitor or diode?

#4 2 years ago

Chuck_Sherman I have one more question. Which diodes on this schematic are zener diodes? I know they have a slightly different symbol, but I'm not seeing it here. Thanks!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Chuck_Sherman I have one more question. Which diodes on this schematic are zener diodes? I know they have a slightly different symbol, but I'm not seeing it here. Thanks!

I`m thinking as the caps deteriorated, they might take the zeners with them . assuming all traces and contact points are good, not seeing much else to go wrong

zener (resized).pngzener (resized).png
#6 2 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, but I think that those are disc varistors. I do have some spares of those so I will potentially replace them after the new cap goes in. My new cap is on the way so I'm hoping that takes care of the issues.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Thanks for the explanation, but I think that those are disc varistors. I do have some spares of those so I will potentially replace them after the new cap goes in. My new cap is on the way so I'm hoping that takes care of the issues.

Ya know, I think you are right, was fooled by the number below looks like they are varistors those rarely go ban unless you get a large voltage spike

Sorry, I tried

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Ya know, I think you are right, was fooled by the number below looks like they are varistors those rarely go ban unless you get a large voltage spike
Sorry, I tried

Hey, no worries! I appreciate the help and I'm hoping the new cap takes care of it.

#9 2 years ago

They aren't strictly required so for a test you could just lift one leg.

They are there to suppress any back EMF from the motor windings - for a test it won't matter if they are there or not.

For future reference, the symbol for a zener diode is exactly the same as a regular diode with two extra arms added - here;

zener (resized).pngzener (resized).png
#10 2 years ago

Well @chuck_sherman, I replaced the cap and everything seemed to be working okay. And then... magic smoke! The cap blew up. Not sure if I got the polarity wrong, or got the wrong cap. I've inclined some pics, what do you think? I assumed the side that I drew the positive symbol on really is the positive.

20220304_171759 (resized).jpg20220304_171759 (resized).jpg20220304_171835 (resized).jpg20220304_171835 (resized).jpg

20220304_172652 (resized).jpg20220304_172652 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

Hmmm. I am now noticing that this is a DC capacitor. I did not realize there is a difference...

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Hmmm. I am now noticing that this is a DC capacitor. I did not realize there is a difference...

There is a major difference between VAC and VDC. Alternating Current (AC) and Direct Current (DC) have different voltage readings sort of like temperatures measured in Fahrenheit (F) and Celsius (C).

Edit: Using a AC to DC calculator 150 VDC = 235.8491 VAC.

#14 2 years ago

This makes much more sense. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-help-me-understand-this-schematic-for-my-stern-viper?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.