Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Geee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider geee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi
    I have just purchased my first machine. I am very ignorant about these lovely machines but want to learn. So sorry as I'm sure it's a really dumb question.

I took a look at the batteries. There are three in the holder, and they look nice and dry, no corrosion etc. But I was surprised to see they are all oriented in the same direction - i.e. positive at the top for all 3. With other devices like my radio, etc the batteries are oriented so that they are in series, so positive against negative etc. Hope I have explained that clearly.
    So is it correct that all 3 batteries are pointing in the same direction, so presumably in parallel rather than series?

Also one other initial but dumb question. Its a 1979 Williams machine (solid state). Will everything be running at low voltage, i.e. does it all go through the transformer or is there likely to be parts at full mains voltage? I'm just wondering how careful I need to be when messing about with it.

Many thanks

#4 5 years ago

Thanks so much. Must say I am knocked out by the speed of the very helpful response.
    Really grateful

#6 5 years ago

Another very basic and possibly daft question, if I may?
    According to the Internet database, my machine has a Williams System 6 MPU. It came with an incomplete set of schematics that has the name of a machine written on it, that is different to mine. But I see from the database, that machine is also a Williams System 6. Are the schematics the same for all machines with the same MPU? So are the circuit boards, etc interchangeable?

Thanks

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the information.
    Mine is Tri-Zone, so I see from the Pinwiki link you kindly supplied, that mine has "Type 1 sound" the same as several others including Laser Ball for which I have some schematics.
    So does that mean, with the same System 6 MPU and the same Type 1 Sound, the two games from an electronics point of view are identical (at least with regard to those two boards)?

I am just amazed by the amount of information I am finding on the web, but my inexperience with pinballs means a lot goes over my head. But I just know that for me, the learning will be as much fun as the playing - I am a bit of a geek that way.

I have read a lot about boards damaged by leaky batteries. Could I ask a question about them as well please?
    Mine has Duracell Industrial Professional Alkaline batteries marked March 2025. I haven't taken them out as I have read that will mean the machine will need to be reset. Is that a big deal, i.e. is it just highest score, etc., or is it things fundamental to the game itself that will be lost?
    As I said in my first post, I can't see any obvious leak at the battery, but thought it might be sensible to take them out for a closer look.

Thanks

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice.
    I will buy new batteries and then switch them over with power on. But I need to be patient as the machine isnt assembled at present - its a long story but we dont have time and space at present. Cant wait to get it together!

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for the posts. We are moving home in 3 weeks, so after that I will get it back together.
    Thanks I have read about remote battery packs, capacitors etc, but I dont think I have the competence to do so at present. I need to do some practice soldering etc first. So plan is get the machine up and running within the month, then very carefully switch the batteries for lithium ones.

Then perhaps allow myself to enjoy the game whilst learning more about how it works, etc.

Thanks for help - that pinball rehab site looks really good too

1 month later
    #15 5 years ago

I knew it would have to be a while, but this evening I eventually set up my Williams Tri-Zone and it seems to be working reasonably ok - but not perfect.
    I have noticed a few things:
    1. Highest score shows 550,000 even though I reset the machine by removing batteries with the machine off. Is this likely to be a factory set highest score? I havent got any where near it yet!
    2. I am not a good player (but will improve!) but whilst playing all of a sudden I won a load of credits, on two separate occasions. Six I think first time and about 20 the second time. No idea why - guessing something is sticking somewhere?
    3. The ball in play display is normally accurate showing, 1,2 or 3, but then occasionally it has a digit in front so becomes. say 12 rather than 2. Seems to be happening less and less.
    4. When playing multi-player, no light appears to show who is playing. I would have thought there should be lights. Guess checking the bulbs is the obvious first step. The score is added to the correct player total.

Sorry if these points are a bit random, but I have absolutely no idea where to start looking for most of them!

Thanks

#16 5 years ago

Hmmm - more problems to report. Only the display lights work on the table - bizarrely other than one solitary light. So missing those lights and player number lights.
    Maybe its a fuse I need to track down or bad earthing, or...? Is it possible the one non display light that works is supposed to be on permanently so on a different circuit?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider geee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-help-a-newbie-please?tu=geee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.