New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134006)

Can a TIP122 be replaced by a TIP120?

By woody24

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Skyr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have to replace one or two TIP122s. I know TIP102s are suggested as a replacement, but after stopping by Radio Shack (yes, there's still one open by me), they only had TIP120s. I picked up 2 just in case. I also have TIP102s on the way from Marcos. But if TIP120s can work as a replacement, I can have my machine up and running tonight. Or I'll have to wait a week.

I saw the only difference is voltage. And the 120's are lower rated. Is it going to be borderline, and I shouldn't mess with it? Or will I be fine, because voltage shouldn't be anywhere near that?

#2 5 years ago

A TIP122 has a C-B and C-E voltage rating of 100V. A TIP120 is only rated at 60V. I'd be leery of doing that substitution. I'd wait for the TIP102s.

#3 5 years ago

I wouldnt risk my board just to do something a little bit earlier than waiting for the correct part. you will hurt yourself in the long run. check and see if you have a local electronics part store, they should have tip102s or an equivalent transistor. The reason Tip102s are the preferred replacement is they are more robust, using something less than the original is going to be bad news.

#4 5 years ago

We have a Fry's. I went last night looking for tip102's, but they either didn't have them, or they were labeled differently. Other than that, I have no idea if any other stores would carry that kind of stuff.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

We have a Fry's. I went last night looking for tip102's, but they either didn't have them, or they were labeled differently. Other than that, I have no idea if any other stores would carry that kind of stuff.

Order them online.

greatplainselectronics, bigdaddy-enterprises.com, mouser.com, digi-key.com, and a few others also probably carry them.

#6 5 years ago

google search shows for your city:

http://www.av-electronicrepair.com/

they may have some transistors they could sell you

forceflow, he has ordered them online, but is trying to do it this weekend i imagine and his shipment must not be in on time for this to happen

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Yeah. Placed the online order earlier today, so won't get here until sometime next week. 3-5 shipping. But figured I could always go find some locally, and have some extra on hand when they do come in. Looks like places that may sell those kind of things close before I get off work. So I may just have to get outside and enjoy the weather instead.

#8 5 years ago

Or if there are pinheads local to you...you can borrow a couple til yours come in

Eric

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I have to replace one or two TIP122s. I know TIP102s are suggested as a replacement, but after stopping by Radio Shack (yes, there's still one open by me), they only had TIP120s. I picked up 2 just in case. I also have TIP102s on the way from Marcos. But if TIP120s can work as a replacement, I can have my machine up and running tonight. Or I'll have to wait a week.
I saw the only difference is voltage. And the 120's are lower rated. Is it going to be borderline, and I shouldn't mess with it? Or will I be fine, because voltage shouldn't be anywhere near that?

As you already knew and then had repeated back to you a few times, the TIP122s *should* be replaced with TIP122s. But it is still a legitimate question - if you were in a pinch, like the morning the machine was to be used in a tournament, you might still want to do it (at least temporarily). To know if it would be ok to substitute or not we'd need to know what the actual supply voltage is in the circuit and what the load is (probably a solenoid). I don't know what the solenoid supply voltage is inside a Data East.

Also, I'll bet you a day's wages that a TIP122 and a TIP120 from the same manufacturer with a shared datasheet (like http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/TIP120.pdf) are the exact same silicon (identical parts). It's cheaper to mass produce 3 parts with the exact same flow than to have 3 different designs. So typically you'd design the transistor to yield >99% at 120V, then just stamp a different part number on them at the end depending on how your orders broke down.

The TIP122 will be tested at 100V (actually higher, maybe 110V to have some margin for a 100V guarantee). The TIP120 *might* be tested at a lower voltage (say 70V), but if they've done their job right all the transistors will have >100V breakdowns so you'll save money just having one test program with one set of limits. Anything breaking down below 100V would indicate there is something seriously outside expected performance so you wouldn't ship it even if max VCE was ok at 80V.

So odds are a TIP120 would perform exactly the same as a TIP122 because they would be identical silicon, with the only difference being the marking on the part. I wouldn't lose any sweat over the substitution. But all things being equal I'd use the TIP122 to go from 99.9% certain it's ok to to 100% and to not confuse whoever worked on the machine after I did.

Qualifications: I'm an EE with 25 years in the semiconductor industry.

4 years later
#10 1 year ago

FYI, I took a shot at what Yonkiman mentioned and I just replaced some blown TIP122 with TIP120 and they work perfectly on my Laser Cue. Figured I would share. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne Village, FL
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
3,300 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Orlando, FL
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside