(Topic ID: 35923)

Can a standard Bass Shaker driver be used in a Stern Pinball? (or any pinball)

By bub2010

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TakeOff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Steuerplatine.JPG
    Shakermotor.JPG
    Shaker_small.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bub2010.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I'm new to the pinball world, but do a lot of reading and research and wondering if you HAVE to use the shakers that only the manufacturer sells? I see that places sell the shaker motor interface boards like the one shown here: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1637

All it looks like to me is a resistor and a couple of fuses along with a specific type of connector that goes on both ends of the board. Just wondering what would keep you from just using something like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-028

It is obvious to me that the connectors used to connect into and out of the "interface board" handle enough juice to spin the off balance motor that they use. Those Aura shakers are self contained units so they would not need a "guard box". Being that they are 4ohms I imagine they'd work perfectly. If somehow they needed to be 8 you could wire up 2 and up it to 8 ohms.

I'm a PC repair person by trade and tinkerer by nature. Maybe nobody has ever attempted something like this, but seems to me that Stern is making way too much off of their "shaker" enhancements. I mean.. an off balance motor powered by electricity is an off balance motor and since the interface board is available separately it sure seems like all you'd have to do it just separate the hot and ground on the output side of the interfact board to the shaker's black and red input and you're done.

Total it up and you're looking at potentially a mod that would cost $68 bucks before shipping and likely under $88 after shipping.

Any input would be apreciated.

#3 11 years ago

So I take it that nobody has ever tried this before?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bub2010.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-standard-bass-shaker-driver-be-used-in-a-stern-pinball-or-any-pinball?tu=bub2010 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.