(Topic ID: 173272)

Can a pinball machine be taken into Canada?

By KornFreak28

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pingod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

If a U.S. Citizen moves to Canada, can he or she cross a pinball machine into Canada via personal vehicle? Is that allowed? Can a pinball machine be crossed into Canada at all? What are the laws and regulations? Thanks!

#3 2 years ago

They can be brought into canada no problem, might have to pay duty. Ive brought 3 back into canada and had to pay duty on 2 of them.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

They can be brought into canada no problem, might have to pay duty. Ive brought 3 back into canada and had to pay duty on 2 of them.

How much duty per machine? I assume the machine gets inspected? Do they handle them with care? Thanks!

#6 2 years ago

I have brought 8 machines back into Canada from the US. You pay no duty as long as the machine was manufactured in the USA. You do have to declare value and pay the GST/PST tax which varies from province to province. If you are moving into Canada with all your personal belongings then this is a different scenario. I would check with CBSA for the laws governing this .

#7 2 years ago

The only time a US Citizen would have to pay customs is if they were bringing across to sell.

I'm 99% certain, if you were moving to Canada, there would be no customs. Can't see Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), applying customs to the persons entire personal belongings. Don't make sense!

#8 2 years ago

No duty made in US, tax if it's a purchase. As mentioned above if it is your own property there should be nothing to pay

#9 2 years ago

Canada customs people are asses. Just know your rights when coming to Canada even if your a Canadian.

#10 2 years ago

Thank you all very much for your help! Glad to find out is not that big of a deal to cross a pinball machine into Canada.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thank you all very much for your help! Glad to find out is not that big of a deal to cross a pinball machine into Canada.

Surely you mean "take" a machine into Canada? I'm perplexed why you would use the word "cross" - it just seems weird??

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Surely you mean "take" a machine into Canada? I'm perplexed why you would use the word "cross" - it just seems weird??

Lol, sorry...yeah I meant like Cross it across the Canadian border you know? Cross the Canadian Border with it. But "take" works too....

#13 2 years ago

The pin has to be over 18.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

I'm good then

#15 2 years ago

Put it in the back of a railway carriage on the US side and avoid any red tape at the border.

#16 2 years ago

Are you taking it to a pinball show, and returning to the states with it?

Is the machine being sold/purchased? Is there a transfer of ownership?

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/duty-tax-import-guide/duty-tax-tips

the goods are for your personal use; and

they are marked as made in the United States or Canada or not marked or labeled to indicate they were made anywhere other than in the United States or Canada.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Do you mean sales tax? There's no duty.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Are you taking it to a pinball show, and returning to the states with it?
    Is the machine being sold/purchased? Is there a transfer of ownership?
    https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/duty-tax-import-guide/duty-tax-tips
    the goods are for your personal use; and
    they are marked as made in the United States or Canada or not marked or labeled to indicate they were made anywhere other than in the United States or Canada.

I received a great job opportunity. I might take the job and move to Canada. That's why I'm asking. I would like to take my machines with me and not have to sell them. Thanks

#19 2 years ago

If a pinball machine could not be taken into Canada, there would probably be none there.

#20 2 years ago

No. We have smuggled them in thru tunnels over the years while at the same time smuggling bc bud for payment.

Shhhhhhhh

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If a pinball machine could not be taken into Canada, there would probably be none there.

True but I'm sure a lot of them have arrived via commercial boat or truck. I just need to make sure what I need to take them into Canada in my own personal vehicle. Thanks!

#22 2 years ago

If your moving here, don't worry about it. No issues just sell your AK47's before the trip across. At least declare them to avoid fines.

#23 2 years ago

You are only bringing two,load up a semi we need more
    Yea really easy if you are moving here with all your stuff.

#24 2 years ago

Thanks guys! I really apprciate all the help! Such a relief to know it's not that big of a deal!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

and at least 19 in British Columbia

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

Do you mean sales tax? There's no duty.

Ya that's what i meant. Definitely worth bringing with you. Games are harder to find in canada and cost more. Worth the import tax if there is any.

#28 2 years ago

No duty,only pay tax if selling it to someone here I believe.
    5% GST for Alberta,the rest of the provinces are different.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 64.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside