(Topic ID: 251227)

Can a LED flasher bulb be turned on for extended time?

By yellowghost

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dent00
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170914_194349 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170914_194326 (resized).jpg
    Instrument Panel Bulbs (resized).jpg
    12V Automotive Bulbs (resized).jpg
    6.3V GI Bulbs (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are specific automotive LED lights you could probably use without modification.

:
    You are correct. If you are willing to wait about a month for delivery from Hong Kong, you can get 10 blue 12V T10 LEDs for $1 with nearly free shipping.
    I have had pretty good luck with these and other similar bulbs.
    This particular bulb is an exact match for the blue flasher in the train on my AC/DC premium.
    ebay.com link: 10x Super Bright T10 12V 194 168 Blue LED Wedge Plate Dashboard Side Light Bulb

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Wow. Thats cheap. How do they look compared to the original incandescents? My instrument cluster has a blue plastic "difuser" around the bulbs but sure dont look blue. I wonder if they available in a warm white.

In the case of this blue flasher, it looks identical to what was originally installed, when I got the machine.
    I think if you search there are many colors, sizes and options.
    Note that T5 bases are a smaller size normally used on instrument panels and such, so they don't fit my pinball machine.
    I got some for the cluster bulbs and dome lights on some vehicles I own.
    And these are all 12V for automotive purposes, which would only be suitable for flasher bulbs.
    There are others available at 6.3V which work for GI applications, shown in the 2nd photo (in the red box).
    There are a few flasher bulbs mixed in that box also.
    They are all so cheap from China, I got quite a few in various colors and sizes that I thought I might need.
    They are also available with bayonet bases if you need that configuration.
    Only real drawback I see is delivery is normally about a month, so you have to be patient and order the right items.
    So far, I haven't received any that didn't work.

12V Automotive Bulbs (resized).jpg12V Automotive Bulbs (resized).jpg6.3V GI Bulbs (resized).jpg6.3V GI Bulbs (resized).jpg
    #16 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Most newer car instrument clusters use even smaller bulbs, if they arent SMD LEDs.

Those smaller instrument panels bulbs, located on the cluster/instrument panel, can be replaced with a T5 LED.
    Some vehicles have the larger T10 base, depending on the vehicle.
    They can be purchased in various colors, white, blue, pink, red, green, etc, etc...
    Some people call it an accent to make the dash display a different color.
    Getting the cluster out of the dash is the hard part...
    Replacing little wedge bulbs is easy, but you have to check polarity.
    I personally wanted blue for my instrument panel, so I got blue T5 LEDs for the most part.
    Incandescent bulbs I removed are in the photo below, small ones in the center.

Instrument Panel Bulbs (resized).jpgInstrument Panel Bulbs (resized).jpg
    #19 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Keep in mind that an LED is designed to produce light out the end only. A bulb is designed to throw light out in a near 360° circle. If your dash has the fiber optics inside it, you will probably get a very dim dash once you switch over to LEDs since only a small portion of the fiber optics are receiving light.
    A workaround is to lightly sand the surface of the LED to get the light to shine more evenly over its surface rather than just out the end.
    By the way, you never told us what vehicle you are working on.
    Based on the bulbs posted in the picture, I am going to say late 80s, early 90s GM something.

1996 Ford Ranger... For the cluster and the temperature controls. I used a variety of LEDs.. Some flat, some domed. I used the ones that gave the most light for the area they were in.
    Also added some in a 2000 Ford F150, but had to use white LEDs there, because there was green tint behind the cluster display that blue light would not penetrate. Mostly T10 on the Ranger and mostly T5 on the F150. Newer vehicles might not have the same type bulbs like mentioned before by others as some have circuit cards with SMDs mounted directly on them for the display now. Reminds me of those node cards on some newer machines. So, if you have a display problem on those newer vehicles, you probably have to get a new display at significant expense I would guess.

IMG_20170914_194326 (resized).jpgIMG_20170914_194326 (resized).jpgIMG_20170914_194349 (resized).jpgIMG_20170914_194349 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-led-flasher-bulb-be-turned-on-for-extended-time?tu=Dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.