(Topic ID: 251227)

Can a LED flasher bulb be turned on for extended time?

By yellowghost

6 days ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Dent00
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20170914_194349 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170914_194326 (resized).jpg
    Instrument Panel Bulbs (resized).jpg
    12V Automotive Bulbs (resized).jpg
    6.3V GI Bulbs (resized).jpg

#1 6 days ago

The reason I ask is because I would like to modify them for use in a car. Dome lights, dash lights etc.etc.

#2 6 days ago

depends on the supply voltage ant the rated voltage of the led. If they match, no problem.

#3 6 days ago

12V is 12V. If the bulb is rated for 12V, it will work without issues.

Its going to get super hot, but if you're referring to a 12V pinball LED, you'll be fine.

Thats all 12V pinball LEDs are is LEDs for a car's taillights or parking lights. I buy mine in bulk overseas at about 9 cents a piece.

#4 5 days ago

906 flashers are the same used in the “Malibu” lights people put on their walks in front of their house.

Yes, lights are ok for continuous dust. 906 is a 12v light.

Do Not take a 6 volt 555 or 44 and put 12 v into it as it won’t last long.

#5 5 days ago

There are specific automotive LED lights you could probably use without modification.

#6 5 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are specific automotive LED lights you could probably use without modification.

There are but they are insanely expensive. LED flashers are cheaper and I have alot already.

#7 5 days ago

Your average 12V pinball LED will work just fine in your car's dome light, and other lighting without issue.

However, if you plan to use one in your turn signals, keep in mind they will be much dimmer than the original bulb.
    You will also need to either add a load resistor or switch your turn signal flasher over to one meant for LEDs. They often have an adjustment to slow down the flash rate.

This does not apply to 6V pinball LEDs of course.

Its best to just use LEDs meant to be used in a car due to the brightness level. The last thing you want is to get in a wreck or get pulled over because your new LEDs were too dim for oncoming traffic to see.

#8 5 days ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Lights are okay for continuous dust.

Really? I would think that the dust buildup would eventually obscure the lights.

#10 4 days ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

Your average 12V pinball LED will work just fine in your car's dome light, and other lighting without issue.
    However, if you plan to use one in your turn signals, keep in mind they will be much dimmer than the original bulb.
    You will also need to either add a load resistor or switch your turn signal flasher over to one meant for LEDs. They often have an adjustment to slow down the flash rate.
    This does not apply to 6V pinball LEDs of course.
    Its best to just use LEDs meant to be used in a car due to the brightness level. The last thing you want is to get in a wreck or get pulled over because your new LEDs were too dim for oncoming traffic to see.

I will keep the exterior lights stock. Mainy the instrument cluster bulbs as they are very dim. And things like ash trey bulb and dome light as they are encased in steel.tubes and get very hot.

#11 4 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

:
    You are correct. If you are willing to wait about a month for delivery from Hong Kong, you can get 10 blue 12V T10 LEDs for $1 with nearly free shipping.
    I have had pretty good luck with these and other similar bulbs.
    This particular bulb is an exact match for the blue flasher in the train on my AC/DC premium.
    ebay.com link » 10x Super Bright T10 12v 194 168 Blue Led Wedge Plate Dashboard Side Light Bulb

#12 4 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

:
    You are correct. If you are willing to wait about a month for delivery from Hong Kong, you can get 10 blue 12V T10 LEDs for $1 with nearly free shipping.
    I have had pretty good luck with these and other similar bulbs.
    This particular bulb is an exact match for the blue flasher in the train on my AC/DC premium.
    ebay.com link » 10x Super Bright T10 12v 194 168 Blue Led Wedge Plate Dashboard Side Light Bulb

Wow. Thats cheap. How do they look compared to the original incandescents? My instrument cluster has a blue plastic "difuser" around the bulbs but sure dont look blue. I wonder if they available in a warm white.

#13 4 days ago

Instrument cluster bulbs are a different size than what a pinball machine uses.
    Same with most dome lights.

#14 4 days ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Wow. Thats cheap. How do they look compared to the original incandescents? My instrument cluster has a blue plastic "difuser" around the bulbs but sure dont look blue. I wonder if they available in a warm white.

In the case of this blue flasher, it looks identical to what was originally installed, when I got the machine.
    I think if you search there are many colors, sizes and options.
    Note that T5 bases are a smaller size normally used on instrument panels and such, so they don't fit my pinball machine.
    I got some for the cluster bulbs and dome lights on some vehicles I own.
    And these are all 12V for automotive purposes, which would only be suitable for flasher bulbs.
    There are others available at 6.3V which work for GI applications, shown in the 2nd photo (in the red box).
    There are a few flasher bulbs mixed in that box also.
    They are all so cheap from China, I got quite a few in various colors and sizes that I thought I might need.
    They are also available with bayonet bases if you need that configuration.
    Only real drawback I see is delivery is normally about a month, so you have to be patient and order the right items.
    So far, I haven't received any that didn't work.

12V Automotive Bulbs (resized).jpg6.3V GI Bulbs (resized).jpg
    #15 4 days ago

Most newer car instrument clusters use even smaller bulbs, if they arent SMD LEDs.

#16 4 days ago

Most newer car instrument clusters use even smaller bulbs, if they arent SMD LEDs.

Those smaller instrument panels bulbs, located on the cluster/instrument panel, can be replaced with a T5 LED.
    Some vehicles have the larger T10 base, depending on the vehicle.
    They can be purchased in various colors, white, blue, pink, red, green, etc, etc...
    Some people call it an accent to make the dash display a different color.
    Getting the cluster out of the dash is the hard part...
    Replacing little wedge bulbs is easy, but you have to check polarity.
    I personally wanted blue for my instrument panel, so I got blue T5 LEDs for the most part.
    Incandescent bulbs I removed are in the photo below, small ones in the center.

Instrument Panel Bulbs (resized).jpg
    #17 1 day ago

Keep in mind that an LED is designed to produce light out the end only. A bulb is designed to throw light out in a near 360° circle. If your dash has the fiber optics inside it, you will probably get a very dim dash once you switch over to LEDs since only a small portion of the fiber optics are receiving light.

A workaround is to lightly sand the surface of the LED to get the light to shine more evenly over its surface rather than just out the end.

By the way, you never told us what vehicle you are working on.

Based on the bulbs posted in the picture, I am going to say late 80s, early 90s GM something.

#18 1 day ago

I used a 906 bulb to replace a license plate bulb in my car, works fine.

#19 1 day ago

Keep in mind that an LED is designed to produce light out the end only. A bulb is designed to throw light out in a near 360° circle. If your dash has the fiber optics inside it, you will probably get a very dim dash once you switch over to LEDs since only a small portion of the fiber optics are receiving light.
    A workaround is to lightly sand the surface of the LED to get the light to shine more evenly over its surface rather than just out the end.
    By the way, you never told us what vehicle you are working on.
    Based on the bulbs posted in the picture, I am going to say late 80s, early 90s GM something.

1996 Ford Ranger... For the cluster and the temperature controls. I used a variety of LEDs.. Some flat, some domed. I used the ones that gave the most light for the area they were in.
    Also added some in a 2000 Ford F150, but had to use white LEDs there, because there was green tint behind the cluster display that blue light would not penetrate. Mostly T10 on the Ranger and mostly T5 on the F150. Newer vehicles might not have the same type bulbs like mentioned before by others as some have circuit cards with SMDs mounted directly on them for the display now. Reminds me of those node cards on some newer machines. So, if you have a display problem on those newer vehicles, you probably have to get a new display at significant expense I would guess.

IMG_20170914_194326 (resized).jpgIMG_20170914_194349 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 110.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pin Mods
    £ 58.00
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside